Help! What should i use?

quorneng

Master member
ryan1324
Obviously at 150 g it is a light plane but hard to make a meaningfull suggestion without more details of its size, shape and wing area.

ryan1324

ryan1324
Obviously at 150 g it is a light plane but hard to make a meaningfull suggestion without more details of its size, shape and wing area.
It has a 12 inch wingspan and is 17 inches long. It is shaped like an arrow with a rudder

quorneng

Master member
A picture would certainly help.
It is in the form of a delta wing with 12 inches span and 17 inches long?
However even as a delta at 150 g it is pretty heavy already so would need significant power to fly which of course would make it heavier still so needing still more power. ;)
In general a small plane has to be light, very light.

For example the Night Vapour has a conventional plane layout with a wing and tail. It has a span of 14.8 inches yet with motor, battery and RC gear it weighs just 16.4 g!

ryan1324

Could you take some pictures of your creation?
1587559381714.jpg

1587559513819.jpg

ryan1324

A picture would certainly help.
It is in the form of a delta wing with 12 inches span and 17 inches long?
However even as a delta at 150 g it is pretty heavy already so would need significant power to fly which of course would make it heavier still so needing still more power. ;)
In general a small plane has to be light, very light.

For example the Night Vapour has a conventional plane layout with a wing and tail. It has a span of 14.8 inches yet with motor, battery and RC gear it weighs just 16.4 g!
It is made of cardboard so it is kind of heavy for its size

quorneng

Master member
In general cardboard of ant type is not a good material for a plane, big or small. It is just too heavy for its strength unless you get very creative on how it is used.
I would doubt at your size your plane could carry much more weight and certainly not enough motor and battery to fly it.
You will have to find a way to make those 150 g create a rather bigger plane of at least twice the size.
Being realistic does your plane glide in a sustained manner?

gk4rpv

it can glide but gets dragged down by the weight
Ryan- I like your design idea- and have been toying with similar idea myself- but mine has no stab, just a delta and a piece of tail off the back. I do alot of hack-up designs, and have abandoned some due to weight. My unsolicited thinking- Skip that cardboard- like other have said- too heavy- esp with Paint!! go to Dollar Tree Foamboard and upsize it to 20inch wingspan.
Then you can use any number of small quad motors size 22x8 or so, with 5 inch prop. 10 amp esc, 600mah 3 cell battery.

gk4rpv

And if you cant get dollartree foam board, you could do it with corrogated cardboard, but make it larger, dont paint it!
put a couple of bamboo barbeque skewers crosswise span (thru the flutes) for strength, and maybe some thin!!! packing tape across span as well- the thinnest cheapest tape- for weight saving. If color required, how about magic markers- the ink is light!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if you can get ahold of construction foam/insulation you can carve out a wing - however your probably going to need a hot wire cutter for this and you might need to put in some support spars. You might want to also put a thin covering on the leading each to save it from impacts.

quorneng

Master member
It will depend on your construction skills but the 40 inch span wing on this RC plane is made of 5 mm insulation foam, cereal packets and nothing else. It relies entirely on the cardboard for its strength and stiffness. The plane complete with motor and battery weighs 510 g.
14Mar19.JPG

Due the size of the cereal box the wing has to be made up in 4 pieces glued together using cardboard strips over the joints.
The foam is cut into conventional ribs with a foam shear web at 1/3 chord
DepronCard3.JPG

The extra ribs at the centre are required to resist the effect of the rubber bands that hold the wing on.
The outboard section has an aileron that is built in the same way.
DepronCard2.JPG

This plane normally uses a wing made of foam with a balsa spar. The cardboard version is about 50 g heavier but it still flies pretty well.
I did suggest you had to get 'clever' to make cardboard work well.
Unlike foam cardboard it not even water 'resistant' so definitely not to be flown in any sort of rain.;)