What signs might indicate you're addicted to flying RC?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
There's been times I looked at my friends who spend lots of money on cigarettes, or alcohol and think to myself, I'm so glad that I'm not addicted to something that would eat away at my paycheck like that... then I realize, yes I am.

"It's ok though, I can quit any time I want to."

"No honey, that's not a new plane, I've had that in the shop forever..."

Thinking about my hobby, and how to someone that isn't also an RC pilot, it might look like I'm a bit obsessed, I wrote a short article about the signs of addiction, and how it clearly doesn't apply to me and my RC flying...

http://flitetest.com/articles/rc-pilots-anonymous-embrace-the-addiction

See? Not a single sign applies to me. How did you fare?

Are there any indicators that aren't on the list, that might give you away as an RC addict?

Liemavick

Mentor
I'm deeply offended you would even imply anyone would have a addiction to RC piloting. I've only been at it for 6 weeks now and can stop anytime I want.
DSCN0059.JPG
There are two more in the bedroom, and one on the drawing board.

DSCN0061.JPG

:cool:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I don't know what you're talking about FM.... There aren't any planes hanging from the ceiling of my (and my wife's) bedroom...

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
I dont think I am addicted to flying the planes as much as building them. Well, making things in general. Built multiple hotwire power supplies to make them more flexable to use of making custom hand tools. Custom made a suitcase vacuum former to make parts. Building a battery tab welder now. Finished up my adjustable air pump for making custom PCB's for my electronics hobby.

For as long as I can remember I will look at something and go "that looks cool, cant aford one. wonder if I could make one." Or make on fit my wants.

Now if you will excuse me, I've got a 1985 Mitsubishi Starion ES to work on rebuilding :p

earthsciteach

A sure sign of rc addiction is when you start confusing your other hobbies with airplanes. For instance, if you find your bike in a tree, you definitely have a serious issue. Bikes can't fly, Monkey. Bikes can not fly.

Attachments

• Bike in tree.jpg
    Bike in tree.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 41

kacknor

Build another!
So here I am, continuing my 'catch-up' of FT video and articles and I come across this. I believe it requires re-visiting. Hi, my screen name is kacknor and I'm an RC addict!

FleetCollage.jpg

BobK

Banned
For me it is when I realize my fingers are frozen after flying in -10 temps...brrrr.

But..the wind was perfect and the Bushwacker is maidened lol :)

kacknor

Build another!
For me it is when I realize my fingers are frozen after flying in -10 temps...brrrr.

But..the wind was perfect and the Bushwacker is maidened lol :)

Today, as I rainy-day bored built a flat wing 3D wannabe to play with till destruction and hand rubbed a coat of Min-Wax on it so it will last just a bit longer in the wet grass.

And yes, I understand cold fingers.

JD

mjmccarron

If you're married, your wife will let you know. If not, RC addiction could be why. Actually, I don't think there's any such thing as RC addiction. It's a conspiracy man.