what simulator? should I even bother?

PaulMohr

Ya, I got RC desktop first because it free, it was ok but nothing special. Then I got RC7 basic off from steam because I had some credit there so it only cost me like 30 bucks. And it worked with my xbox controller. Then I downloaded all the other planes and scenery and added it in. So I have RC7 ultimate-ish I guess. Then I decided to fork over the money for RealFlight 8. It looks better but doesn't work as well with my xbox controller. If you don't have a dedicated RC transmitter but have a game pad or joystick and just want the software I would say rc7 is the way to go. It lets you customize the inputs on the xbox type controllers pretty well. You can even set up dual rates and expos on them.

I just know got my DX6e from fed ex. I got the wireless usb thing too. They are still sitting in the boxes next to me as I type this lol. Plus I am going to my first RC club meet up in an hour at 4 pm. I probably won't get to fly anything because I am not a member yet but they said I can hang out and watch and ask questions. It is actually the day they train new members to fly, so it should be interesting.

Gonna unbox my new controller now and see if it works. Let you guys know later tonight how it linked up and worked with my sim.

PaulMohr

Ok, my DX6e transmitter arrived today. While I was mowing the lawn and right before I had to leave to go to the RC club thing. After I got home I had a chance to play with it. Eh, I could take it or leave it. It has some good points and some bad ones. I think I will make a seperate thread explaining all of it.

The club thing went ok, not many showed up because it wasn't actually a training session after all. Both the guys that train couldn't be there. One was having an operation or something and the other is off on vacation I guess. I did get a chance to meet a few guys and a young kid there with his mom. I actually learned a lot from the kid lol. He is in the process of being trained and has actually flown a few times. Smart little guy too. Couple guys were flying gassers so I got to see some of that. And a guy crashed his plane out in the middle of no where so I helped them go look for it in weeds like 5 feet tall lol. He did find it eventually but it was pretty much trashed because it was a balsa wood plane. The whole front of the plane was trashed and one of the wings had a huge chunk out of it. We did find all the parts though so he has the engine, landing gear and all the electronics which was nice. I asked if he could fix it and he said doubtful, would be easier to just build a new one. What a shame it was his first time flying it too. Makes want to run right out and get one lmao.

donalson

that is kind of why I'm nervous to fly my glow balsa plane... FT planes if I write it off it's a few bucks and an afternoon of work... balsa is a lot more work and money to fix... but still really looking to flying it :).

what sim are you using?... now that I've been flying a little while now and comfortable with it mot of the time I'm going to the game modes on the sims... pylon racing, limbo, balloon popping, ring racing (FPV), spot landing etc... forces me to have an objective and be much more controlled on the sticks vs just zooming around.

Ok, my DX6e transmitter arrived today. While I was mowing the lawn and right before I had to leave to go to the RC club thing. After I got home I had a chance to play with it. Eh, I could take it or leave it. It has some good points and some bad ones. I think I will make a seperate thread explaining all of it.

The club thing went ok, not many showed up because it wasn't actually a training session after all. Both the guys that train couldn't be there. One was having an operation or something and the other is off on vacation I guess. I did get a chance to meet a few guys and a young kid there with his mom. I actually learned a lot from the kid lol. He is in the process of being trained and has actually flown a few times. Smart little guy too. Couple guys were flying gassers so I got to see some of that. And a guy crashed his plane out in the middle of no where so I helped them go look for it in weeds like 5 feet tall lol. He did find it eventually but it was pretty much trashed because it was a balsa wood plane. The whole front of the plane was trashed and one of the wings had a huge chunk out of it. We did find all the parts though so he has the engine, landing gear and all the electronics which was nice. I asked if he could fix it and he said doubtful, would be easier to just build a new one. What a shame it was his first time flying it too. Makes want to run right out and get one lmao.

PaulMohr

Mainly Realflight 8, but I have a RC7 as well and use it sometimes. I rarely use desk pilot to be honest. I belong to the knife edge forums as well, that is who makes real flight. The guys there have been pretty helpful with helping pick a good practice model and what to focus on. So now I have a few models that I am pretty sure are accurate to a trainer I could go out and buy, or that the club would train me with this spring. I try to focus on one or two of those planes just doing simple turns, figure 8's, throttle control and landing. I found a scenery that is fairly similar to our local field as well so that helps. I don't do any of the "games" yet or any other camera views other than standing by the runway. I have other simulators like FSX and a flight stick for that kind of stuff. Once I get comfortable with the basics I might give it a shot though.

The nice thing about RF8 is I can actually edit the air fields and aircraft quite a bit if I want to. I may go take pictures of our local field, do some measurements and get some satalite photos or something and actually model it to spec so I can practice landings.

I was hoping to join our local in time to try to fly last Wed. I would have loved to at least get 5 minutes or so in the air just so I know how it should feel. Not going to happen though. I had to have some urgent dental work done and it cost me 300 bucks to have a tooth pulled. I don't know how late in the season they fly outside so it may not be worth joining until the new year or maybe spring. I will see how things go next month I guess.

donalson

Mainly Realflight 8, but I have a RC7 as well and use it sometimes. I rarely use desk pilot to be honest. I belong to the knife edge forums as well, that is who makes real flight. The guys there have been pretty helpful with helping pick a good practice model and what to focus on. So now I have a few models that I am pretty sure are accurate to a trainer I could go out and buy, or that the club would train me with this spring. I try to focus on one or two of those planes just doing simple turns, figure 8's, throttle control and landing. I found a scenery that is fairly similar to our local field as well so that helps. I don't do any of the "games" yet or any other camera views other than standing by the runway. I have other simulators like FSX and a flight stick for that kind of stuff. Once I get comfortable with the basics I might give it a shot though.

The nice thing about RF8 is I can actually edit the air fields and aircraft quite a bit if I want to. I may go take pictures of our local field, do some measurements and get some satalite photos or something and actually model it to spec so I can practice landings.

I was hoping to join our local in time to try to fly last Wed. I would have loved to at least get 5 minutes or so in the air just so I know how it should feel. Not going to happen though. I had to have some urgent dental work done and it cost me 300 bucks to have a tooth pulled. I don't know how late in the season they fly outside so it may not be worth joining until the new year or maybe spring. I will see how things go next month I guess.

for the game modes on RF8 click on challenges in the menu bar... you can set it for fixed, heilo, or drone

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I am liking the RF-8 pretty well. It has downloadable user planes and a multiplayer function. I am currently enjoying hotdogging around in a giant B-29. :cool:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
To the OP: I am brand-spanking new. I don't even have an aircraft or anything. I might have some insight to your question, though.

I actually got into this hobby by watching some random video about quads. So I got a toy-grade. It rocked! Then I got another. And then another. Then I got my son a couple. We were just having a blast. Then I got curious about FPV and hooked up with a new brother at the FliteTest store.

Pretty soon, my son and I were flying a toy-grade quad with darn good fpv, and doing it on the cheap. Then I got cocky. New batts, three blade rotors. It went up and back like a rocket, and I lost it. Three times we've been out looking for it in the woods at the edge of the field. Nope. Gone.

Mostly, I just wasn't expecting it to just take off that way. However, if I'd had the skills to just turn around, pull off the goggles, and LOS it back, I don't think I would have lost it. I really wanted that FPV camera for other projects, and it's just.. gone.

I don't have a transmitter yet. I will. When I do, I'm going to practice like heck, because for me, flying towards myself is completely disorienting.

I'm ex-Army. We trained and we trained and we trained. BUT it's not just the muscle memory. That's good, that's what makes you not have to think about every little thing, you can think about the bigger things, because your muscles are taking care of the little things.

What that training does is allow your brain to work more freely, to consider outcomes and think about options while your muscles are doing the things that are keeping you alive.

That's kind of what I think a flight simulator does. I don't have a transmitter yet, and I don't know which sim I'm going to use. But as to your original question... I really don't see how you can go wrong with lots of sim time.

donalson

To the OP: I am brand-spanking new. I don't even have an aircraft or anything. I might have some insight to your question, though.

I actually got into this hobby by watching some random video about quads. So I got a toy-grade. It rocked! Then I got another. And then another. Then I got my son a couple. We were just having a blast. Then I got curious about FPV and hooked up with a new brother at the FliteTest store.

Pretty soon, my son and I were flying a toy-grade quad with darn good fpv, and doing it on the cheap. Then I got cocky. New batts, three blade rotors. It went up and back like a rocket, and I lost it. Three times we've been out looking for it in the woods at the edge of the field. Nope. Gone.

Mostly, I just wasn't expecting it to just take off that way. However, if I'd had the skills to just turn around, pull off the goggles, and LOS it back, I don't think I would have lost it. I really wanted that FPV camera for other projects, and it's just.. gone.

I don't have a transmitter yet. I will. When I do, I'm going to practice like heck, because for me, flying towards myself is completely disorienting.

I'm ex-Army. We trained and we trained and we trained. BUT it's not just the muscle memory. That's good, that's what makes you not have to think about every little thing, you can think about the bigger things, because your muscles are taking care of the little things.

What that training does is allow your brain to work more freely, to consider outcomes and think about options while your muscles are doing the things that are keeping you alive.

That's kind of what I think a flight simulator does. I don't have a transmitter yet, and I don't know which sim I'm going to use. But as to your original question... I really don't see how you can go wrong with lots of sim time.

I'm the OP... I ended up "learning" primarily on rc desk pilot... I got a frsky USB wireless dongle so I could use my qx7... also spent some time with FPV stuff lift off on the quad side.... I went out and between the FT 3 pack and then shortly after the bloody brit (barons brother) and a FT versa wing I got pretty comfortable flying...

I've now got more planes than I know what to do with but I've also picked up 2nd hand legit packages of pheonix5.5 and RF8... I use them to practice getting over bad habbits (inverted roll out... don't PULL out)... I haven't had an inverted pull out in a while and have been enjoying doing some stupid fun flying... i've been having a lot of fun flying and building... and for me it's both parts that are huge... although the wife doesn't love me building... I don't have a spare room/table so the dining room table gets lost under my build lol.

on a side note... if you want/need a tx to practice I've got some buddy box only controllers I can send ya for cost of shipping... a USB simulator adapter will let you fly most of the simulators.... I pulled the spektrum TX from them so they are only good as a buddy box/pc controller...

d8veh

Elite member
Can anyone tell me what is the best simulator to get. I have Realflight 2, but it's not upgradable and only works on an old laptop. I have a nice big 4k monitor now and a decent gaming PC, so I'd like to use that. I have Taranis Q7S and Spektrum DX7S. I was thinking about the software version of Realflight 8, but I can't figure out what sort of interface I need.

donalson

got RF8 with the controller but once it was registered and working I was able to use my cheap $12 USB PPM adapter that uses the trainer plug and my wireless USB orange RX adapter...

between it and pheonix that looks like you can't get anymore anyway I like RF... it's just so costly.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm the OP... I ended up "learning" primarily on rc desk pilot... I got a frsky USB wireless dongle so I could use my qx7... also spent some time with FPV stuff lift off on the quad side.... I went out and between the FT 3 pack and then shortly after the bloody brit (barons brother) and a FT versa wing I got pretty comfortable flying...

I've now got more planes than I know what to do with but I've also picked up 2nd hand legit packages of pheonix5.5 and RF8... I use them to practice getting over bad habbits (inverted roll out... don't PULL out)... I haven't had an inverted pull out in a while and have been enjoying doing some stupid fun flying... i've been having a lot of fun flying and building... and for me it's both parts that are huge... although the wife doesn't love me building... I don't have a spare room/table so the dining room table gets lost under my build lol.

on a side note... if you want/need a tx to practice I've got some buddy box only controllers I can send ya for cost of shipping... a USB simulator adapter will let you fly most of the simulators.... I pulled the spektrum TX from them so they are only good as a buddy box/pc controller...
My bad, I didn't look at the date of your post. Still, it's not been that long since February. That's really encouraging to me. I was thinking it was going to be a very long process just to get the basics down.

I very much appreciate your offer and I'm going to take you up on it. It's looking like some time before I can get a decent transmitter and the practice in the meantime is exactly what I was talking about. I'll get to slowly build the plane, look at it throughout the build process, and go fly it in the simulator. Perfect.

Our house AC recently went out, and I am now broke. Like a stepped-on twig broke. If it's OK, I'll send you a PM at the end of next week when I get paid.

d8veh

Elite member
got RF8 with the controller but once it was registered and working I was able to use my cheap $12 USB PPM adapter that uses the trainer plug and my wireless USB orange RX adapter...

between it and pheonix that looks like you can't get anymore anyway I like RF... it's just so costly.
Thank's, but I'm not sure that I'm any wiser. Let me change my question: If I buy RF 8 software version, what else do I need to run it?

donalson

Thank's, but I'm not sure that I'm any wiser. Let me change my question: If I buy RF 8 software version, what else do I need to run it?

it partly depends on what you already have... if you already have a TX then that changes things a little.

from what I'm seeing on steams page

"
Recommended Controllers
RealFlight 8 requires a controller to run. There are a few options here:
  • For the best experience, we strongly recommend the InterLink-X™. RealFlight is designed for it, and your controls will all be exactly where they should be.

InterLink-X purchase links:
    Tower Hobbies [www.towerhobbies.com]
    Amazon[a.co]

• You can use your RC Radio with an interface. The RealFlight Wired Interface works well for this, and there are 3rd-party wireless interfaces available. This option will require more setup on your part.

RealFlight wired interface purchase links:
    Tower Hobbies [www.towerhobbies.com]
    Amazon[a.co]

• You can use any 4-axis game controller. A gamepad will work, or an advanced flight stick. Your experience will not be as good as using a purpose-built RC radio, though."
the RF interface is about $40... and on backorder...

I use the orangeRX taranis USB adapter... there is also one for spektrum.... also there is a name brad spektrum model and taranis just released their own both of which should work...

on the cheap side a "usb rc simulator adapter" can be had for about $10 on amazon or ebay... it uses the trainer port on your TX... I picked one up and it's worked with every sim I've tried... I after a while my buddy box cable did die... I just tossed it and used an audio aux cable without problems...

another option again depends on your TX... if you've got a taranis you can set it up to use it's native USB plug... although I'm not a fan of that as it's not the most robust port design and can damage it with time.

lastly... you can use a playstation or xbox controller...

d8veh

Elite member
OK, thanks for all that info. The problem is that whatever I buy, it turns out that something isn't compatible. I checked out that Orangerx thing, and sure enough it's not compatible with EU Taranis - just as well I checked. What I'm really after is a definitive solution for the sofware version of Realflight, i.e. what one thing can I do that is guaranteed to work with RF8 software version.

I already have a Realflight Interlink transmitter, but RF told me that it doesn't work with RF8. I also have a Chinese knockoff, but that requires a virus infested download to make it work. I know that RF8 interlink version doesn't work unless you have an exact RF8 interlink, which makes me worry about how the software version is going to work with just a cable or some proprietary dongle when RF make their own. Did you have to crack or hack anything to get yours working with RF8? Is Phoenix any good compared with RF8, and is it any easier to get working, i.e. does it also lock you in to their stuff?

OK, thanks for all that info. The problem is that whatever I buy, it turns out that something isn't compatible. I checked out that Orangerx thing, and sure enough it's not compatible with EU Taranis - just as well I checked. What I'm really after is a definitive solution for the sofware version of Realflight, i.e. what one thing can I do that is guaranteed to work with RF8 software version.

I already have a Realflight Interlink transmitter, but RF told me that it doesn't work with RF8. I also have a Chinese knockoff, but that requires a virus infested download to make it work. I know that RF8 interlink version doesn't work unless you have an exact RF8 interlink, which makes me worry about how the software version is going to work with just a cable or some proprietary dongle when RF make their own. Did you have to crack or hack anything to get yours working with RF8? Is Phoenix any good compared with RF8, and is it any easier to get working, i.e. does it also lock you in to their stuff?

If your Taranis Q7S has a USB port I think you can use it as a USB joystick with RF8. I have a Tarnais QX7 and that works. I start the transmitter, then plug in the USB cable. I then get the option if I want to use the transmitter a a joystick (HID) or as a USB storage. As I remember it it worked out of the box. I've only got 4 channels running though, the other channels have pretty random signals, so I can't calibrate completely in RF8. It seems to work to just calibrate the first 4 channel though.

There is also an option option in the "Companion" software to switch between EU and non EU firmware (wouldn't recommend it though)

d8veh

Elite member
If your Taranis Q7S has a USB port I think you can use it as a USB joystick with RF8. I have a Tarnais QX7 and that works. I start the transmitter, then plug in the USB cable. I then get the option if I want to use the transmitter a a joystick (HID) or as a USB storage. As I remember it it worked out of the box. I've only got 4 channels running though, the other channels have pretty random signals, so I can't calibrate completely in RF8. It seems to work to just calibrate the first 4 channel though.

There is also an option option in the "Companion" software to switch between EU and non EU firmware (wouldn't recommend it though)
I'm trying that at the moment, but I can't get Win 10 to recognise it as a joystick. I selected joystick in the SUB mode. None of these things ever work for me without months of research to find a solution.

donalson

I'm trying that at the moment, but I can't get Win 10 to recognise it as a joystick. I selected joystick in the SUB mode. None of these things ever work for me without months of research to find a solution.

to get the taranis to work in joystick mode you need to enable it in the firmware... so have to update the firmware and enable it.