What size foamboard do I need for Versa Wing

Stefan

Hi!

I'm about to start building a Versa Wing but I wonder what size foamboard do I need. Is 50x70 cm (about 19x27 inch) enough or should I go for the 70x100 cm (27x39 inch).

And is 5mm (3/16 inch) the thickness i need?

Stefan

Have you built one? Is there much "waste" on the edges or do the wings go all the way from edge to edge?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I cut each pattern out individually and 2 sheets was plenty. I am pretty sure that your 15X70cm will be plenty as there is at least 12.5mm at each side that is waste.

Thurmond

wx9dx

So what battery are you going to use and what motor?

So what battery are you going to use and what motor? I did hear Josh say he thought a 2200 would be best, but the beef does not include a 2200. Also what motor are you using on the Versa? I have a Versa on order from the store and would like to know someone that has really played with it!

Thanks
Jimmy, ARRL TS, WX9DX:)

wx9dx

So what battery are you going to use and what motor?

So what battery are you going to use and what motor? I did hear Josh say he thought a 2200 would be best, but the beef does not include a 2200. I have a Versa on order from the store and would like to know someone that has really played with it!

Thanks
Jimmy, ARRL TS, WX9DX:)

JasonM

I just got done with my versa wing, i started with it and didn't like how there was not much room for battery's so i made a blunt nose, i used dollar tree foam same thing flite test use's, im runing a 1650kv/v from turingy with a 8x4 pusher prop 3s 2100mah flys perfect

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
My first Versa, I flew with 2200's, but since adding electronics and going with the blunt nose conversion, I use larger 2600 and 3300 3S packs now. I don't need any added deadweight with the larger packs, and it powers the APM with GPS, Telemetry transceiver, OSD, VTX, and airspeed sensor. Even with all that, the 2600 pack gives me about 10 minutes of flight time, and the 3300 about 15 to run down from full charge to storage level charge -- I tend not to go past that very conservative level of about 80% discharge because I just find it hard stamina-wise to fly that long!

I have the Lazertoyz Beef package consisting of the EMAX 2210/11 motor and a 9x5 prop -- that prop is borderline too much for that motor, but the 8x4's I was using was a bit anemic with all that weight I now have on it.

BTW, I'm also an ARRL and BARC member...

Last edited: