Solved What thickness of music wire for landing gear?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1634773324689.png

Try this Orthodontic wire, it comes in variety of thickness depending what you need. Ive used it many times, its available on line via ebay etc

Scotto

Elite member
Can i buy a 1 mm wire, the pushrods at a City Mill lumber store or Home Depot or maybe at Lowe's?
I dont know. But I do know the hard way DONT BUY SPRING STEEL IN COILS. Its nearly impossible to straighten and it could poke your eye out or make a big tangled mess. I have .094 for landing gear and .047 for pushrods from https://www.grainger.com/category/r...Type|Tube&filters=attrs&gwwRemoveElement=true . Not saying its the best or anything because its the only thing Ive tried, but it works ok. Dont try using side cuts on it youll only put dents in your wire cutters. Use a grinder.

SSgt Duramax

I ended up buying some construction flags (like $7 for 100 of them at lowes) as I read they were a good cheap substitute for servo rods. I think they are a little heavy for servo rods, but work great for landing gear. At a price point you can't pass up.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I dont know. But I do know the hard way DONT BUY SPRING STEEL IN COILS. Its nearly impossible to straighten and it could poke your eye out or make a big tangled mess. I have .094 for landing gear and .047 for pushrods from https://www.grainger.com/category/raw-materials/carbon-steel/music-wire?attrs=Package+Type|Tube&filters=attrs&gwwRemoveElement=true . Not saying its the best or anything because its the only thing Ive tried, but it works ok. Dont try using side cuts on it youll only put dents in your wire cutters. Use a grinder.
I have used this orthodontic wire too many times to remember. Not once has it come within a meter of either of my eyes, or un-coiled into a tangled mess.
Its probably used several times on a daily basis by orthodontists, during the process of installing oral braces. If there was any risk of injury it would have a warning label on the reel.
It makes excellent push rods and can be easily straightened out with pliers for short lengths, For longer lengths by use a drill and wooden block with a hole in, works great.
The best part is its inexpensive compared with piano wire of the same thickness.

Scotto

Elite member
I have used this orthodontic wire too many times to remember. Not once has it come within a meter of either of my eyes, or un-coiled into a tangled mess.
Its probably used several times on a daily basis by orthodontists, during the process of installing oral braces. If there was any risk of injury it would have a warning label on the reel.
It makes excellent push rods and can be easily straightened out with pliers for short lengths, For longer lengths by use a drill and wooden block with a hole in, works great.
The best part is its inexpensive compared with piano wire of the same thickness.
Right on. I was typing when you posted that I wasnt refering to your post. I was refering to the coils of carbon steel spring steel like what I got from grainger. I tried spinning it straight but not the same way as the video you posted.

Scotto

Elite member

The dude in the video is burning the zinc off of his galvanized wire. That can make you really really sick. If you get sick drink milk. Or just dont heat galvanized. And while im at it dont mig weld on anything wet with brake parts cleaner either. That one can kill you instantly.

boogieloo

1 mm steal pushrods are the ones I need really. It is a strong rod. 2 mm and 3 mm. Thicker ones. These are also good. The trick to connecting those rudders and ailerons is bending them. So sort of like engineering. That would be the builder.

Thank you. Looks like i got my 3 servos and the battery I need. Why? Those pushrods 1 mm and connectors will bend and strong. My ailerons solved. Easily done. Just need to wait so i don't ruin it. But the plan is set and full proof success on adding one more servo. Ailerons.

Last edited:

boogieloo

You know how it is right? When you say? Ahh...it flies. Only someone else is piloting it. Not maiden flight anymore. I'm into hobby. This airplane was made by Julius Perdana from a video I saw. It flew well.

Attachments

• airplane logo.jpg
    airplane logo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0

bisco

Elite member
1 mm steal pushrods are the ones I need really. It is a strong rod. 2 mm and 3 mm. Thicker ones. These are also good. The trick to connecting those rudders and ailerons is bending them. So sort of like engineering. That would be the builder.

Thank you. Looks like i got my 3 servos and the battery I need. Why? Those pushrods 1 mm and connectors will bend and strong. My ailerons solved. Easily done. Just need to wait so i don't ruin it. But the plan is set and full proof success on adding one more servo. Ailerons.
must be a uge plane