Solved What thickness of music wire for landing gear?

TDL

I used clothes hangers that come with my shirts from dry cleaning shop. I found there are two types of wires for these "free" hangers, one is like 1/16" with white coating, another one is about 1/8" with dark green coating. the dark green one is prefect for landing gear, and I would strip the coating of the white one and use it for reinforcement or even push rod for larger plane.
My local ACE hardwares carries all kind of rods, wires, threaded rods, aluminum strips, etc. Hardwares stores and dollar tree are the few stores still open in my town right now. But it has been raining for days and I just don't want to restock my foam board on raining day....

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I used clothes hangers that come with my shirts from dry cleaning shop. I found there are two types of wires for these "free" hangers, one is like 1/16" with white coating, another one is about 1/8" with dark green coating. the dark green one is prefect for landing gear, and I would strip the coating of the white one and use it for reinforcement or even push rod for larger plane.
My local ACE hardwares carries all kind of rods, wires, threaded rods, aluminum strips, etc. Hardwares stores and dollar tree are the few stores still open in my town right now. But it has been raining for days and I just don't want to restock my foam board on raining day....
Thanks! :)

FrankFly

For the Tiny Trainer or smaller, I use the wires from survey/sprinkler system flags. Sure you have to straighten it every few landings, but that means its taking some of the shock. Larger like the Simple Scout, I've used 2mm ( 1/16" ) wire. Intermediate like Shrubsmacker, I tried a 1/16 fairly soft wire. I have to straighten it every few landings, but otherwise works great and is very cheap.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Varies depending on the model, clothes hangers are great for light weight. Plus 2mm is fine for Tiny trainers etc. Everything else 3mm thats as thick as I would go for larger foamboard models and some smaller balsa too.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Also depends on the stiffness of the wire your using, Ive ordered some 2mm wire which is only useful for push rods. Yet ordered some from another source same diameter which was ideal for landing gear.
Piano wire seems to be ideal quality wise, but the price is expensive for the quantity your buying.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Last time I ordered some 3mm rod I used bright steel EN1A grade and bought a 1m length. I got 2 sets of landing gear out of that for £9.50 ($12.99).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I been using 3/32 / 2.4mm Blue demon welding stainless steel wire. THAT is some hard stuff to bend. Music wire bends and gets brittle too easily where the weld wire acts like spring steel used in cars for leaf springs.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I've started using 2.5mm stainless steel rod, just stiff enough for landing gear but not too tough to bend with a vice and pliers.

bisco

Elite member
putting bush wheels on my planes, but need bushings for smaller wire. i have been using heat shrink tubing, but something harder would roll better.
nice thing about heat shrink is a kit has all the diameters, and they fit inside each other so you can build up the diameter