What to Fly First? Every Simulated FT Plane

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
rickp has new models out and I can't fly them. :cry: I mentioned in a different thread that I managed to break my sim. The USB dongle sticks out of the top of my computer next to my chair. I rotated my chair and destroyed the dongle. Breaking the plastic housing is no big deal, but I actually pulled the USB interface plug off the contacts.

I looked up some pics, managed to put everything back together, and tried a test. I plugged and unplugged it. When I plugged it in Windows 10 recognized what it was and started setting it up. Good sign/bad sign. It was recognized for what it was, but should not have needed set up. When I unplugged it, the end came off. *sigh*

Off to minor surgery we go. Luckily I experiment with grafting cybernetic implants onto extra-dimensional beings, so I've got this little operating theatre... Ok. not really. I got it so I could build some MetalEarth models. Which I'm not good at, and have two sitting in coffee cans. I've got the cool tool, though! It's actually come in quite handy several times. This was one of those times.

IMG_0169.JPG

I manged to get the contacts, mostly unbent, back into the housing of the USB connector. We're waiting for the Gorilla glue to dry, then put the plastic back on, tape it around and drop some more glue where the connecter meets the housing. I don't want it pulling out again, since the contacts have become fragile.

Then it's going to be plugged into a BACK USB port of my PC, and hopefully all will be well. I'll keep you updated.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
rickp has new models out and I can't fly them. :cry: I mentioned in a different thread that I managed to break my sim. The USB dongle sticks out of the top of my computer next to my chair. I rotated my chair and destroyed the dongle. Breaking the plastic housing is no big deal, but I actually pulled the USB interface plug off the contacts.

I looked up some pics, managed to put everything back together, and tried a test. I plugged and unplugged it. When I plugged it in Windows 10 recognized what it was and started setting it up. Good sign/bad sign. It was recognized for what it was, but should not have needed set up. When I unplugged it, the end came off. *sigh*

Off to minor surgery we go. Luckily I experiment with grafting cybernetic implants onto extra-dimensional beings, so I've got this little operating theatre... Ok. not really. I got it so I could build some MetalEarth models. Which I'm not good at, and have two sitting in coffee cans. I've got the cool tool, though! It's actually come in quite handy several times. This was one of those times.

View attachment 120546

I manged to get the contacts, mostly unbent, back into the housing of the USB connector. We're waiting for the Gorilla glue to dry, then put the plastic back on, tape it around and drop some more glue where the connecter meets the housing. I don't want it pulling out again, since the contacts have become fragile.

Then it's going to be plugged into a BACK USB port of my PC, and hopefully all will be well. I'll keep you updated.
If you are up to suggestions I would grab a USB extension lead for the dongle and once you have finished your repair plug it into the extension lead and TAPE it into position. Then dangle the dongle somewhere close to your tX incase you have introduced some other issues which could effect the range of the unit.

It you wack it again it is only the extension lead that you destroy and it is easy to replace and quite cheap.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

d8veh

Elite member
If you are up to suggestions I would grab a USB extension lead for the dongle and once you have finished your repair plug it into the extension lead and TAPE it into position. Then dangle the dongle somewhere close to your tX incase you have introduced some other issues which could effect the range of the unit.

It you wack it again it is only the extension lead that you destroy and it is easy to replace and quite cheap.

Just a thought!

Have fun!
That's a good suggestion. It solves another problem too - that the weight of the dongle and it's lead tends to pull it at an angle to a vertically orientated usb socket so that it disconnects it. If you have one like mine (front mounted upright usb sockets), you'll know what I mean.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Then dangle the dongle somewhere close to your tX incase you have introduced some other issues which could effect the range of the unit.

The cable connecting my transmitter to the dongle should be long enough to allow me to resume flying the sim. If not, I've got audio cable extenders that should do the trick.

Here's the latest pick of the inter-dimensional surgical operation. Wrapped and glued. I'll let you know how it goes.

IMG_0170.JPG

The Journey Continues. Convoluted as it is, it continues.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I totally missed the point of Hai-Lee and d8veh's post about the USB extension. It just dawned on me that the idea is take the stress off the dongle. Duh. Sorry. Brainy deaddyness and all that. That's an awesome idea, and I've got a USB extension. Thank you.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
On the end of the Extension lead I would hope!

Oh well it looks like the TT maiden has been slightly delayed:rolleyes:

Have fun!
Yes, on the USB extension. Nope the maiden has not been delayed. I continue the build tomorrow evening! I WANT to fly that freakin' bird! I've decided to listen the good advice I was given and not try to maiden on the broken wing I built. It's basically scrap foam, now.

When I emailed FT about the delamination issue I was having with the first FT kit, Jen sent me out another one. I begin that wing build tomorrow evening. In between, I want to finish setting up my trans (now that I think I know how, that's a different thread) and get the servos mounted in the fuse. Lots to do, yet.

Tomorrow night. Cutting, gluing and folding. Hopefully some programming in between. So I can fly my TT in real life. TT. Tora Tanshi. Wow. That's the best Google translation I could get for "Tiger Angel." That was the name of my last motorcycle. TT. That is so very fitting and Gosh Darn it! She is going to fly!

Roll your eyes at somebody else, Mr. Big Helmet! :cool::p

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The build is still in progress, and only happens on my days off. Then just a little bit each night. I'm afraid that's how I've got to do it. Some nights off, I can marathon build, but I'm stressing screwing up that wing again. I'll post pics and wait for input. That's this thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-tiny-trainer-build.55683/page-2

I broke my 22 in 1 and had to make some repairs. Those repairs were successful, then I spent my free time trying to get the trans set up right for a RL maiden of my hopefully soon to be completed, TT. That's this thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/transmitter-set-up.56654/

What's all that mean? I've been busy with other stuff, and even though my trans isn't right and I've got no rates or throws or anything set up in Phoenix (I've got three switches for the rates, and only one setting in Phoenix. Granted, I have not put any thought into it yet, but yeah. 100% everything for now. Whoots??!!)

I want to fly something, and ricp has released like four models since I last flew the sim. Time for some more 100% everything reviews!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The Nutball by rickp Isn't a nutball. In RL I see crashing that thing a lot at first, but it's actually kinda fun once you get the hang of it. I managed to hover it. It loves 100% throttle. I'd give it some stick in one direction or another and if it got crazy, I'd just roll with it and keep on flying.

It doesn't seem to fly like a plane. It flys exactly like what you'd expect a pizza box with a motor and control surfaces to fly like. It was fun.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
JohnRambozo started making all the FT planes for Phoenix and stopped. Rickp is working on finishing the project, and it's a big one. I've realized I need to give credit, where credit is due. Some of the models I've flown in the sim in this thread are John's and some are Rick's. Rickp is pumping accurate models out all the time now. I will endeavor to credit the model creator with each flight review.

The FT MiniCruiser, by rickp. Whew. I found that one to be a handful. It would go into a maneuver quick as anything, but it all got wide way too fast. I'm definitely going to save that build for later.

I crashed a lot. I love the looks of that bird, and it's one I wanted to build early, but no. Later. Yes.