What to get when getting into the hoby

mavrik12

Hello,
I'm completely and utterly new to the hobby. I'm a computer geek that knows how to build. But when it comes to getting part and controllers for my first plane I'm completely lost. I have some parts picked out but I have no idea if they are good ones to go for or if there is a cheaper way to do it. I would prefer to get it as cheap as possible without getting into the super crappy stuff that only work about a week.
I have already build the plane it's my own take on the noob tube with some modification:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xk9ecvgkU0

It gluide realy well and is light, I was also thinking of building some of the swapable ones to learn, I can already fly the planes I just don't know the electronics.
the list of parts I have are as follows:
NTM2826-1200kv $15.97
8x4 propeller 6pack $3.38
NTM accessory pack $2.05
TR_P25A - turnigy 25amp ECS $13.60
Hobby king 2.4Ghz 6ch tx x rx $29.99
Turnigy 500mAh 3S 20c Lipo X2 $14.30
IMAx B6-AC charger 1-6cell $44.99

For a total of $124.28

Now I'm not afraid of welding and I thought of using an old power supply instead of the IMax charger but I thought I see what other people say. I already have some 9g servos and the small stuff.

Tell me what you think I could change or go better/worse on.
Thanks

RichB

Go bigger on the radio. It's the one thing that will affect all your experience with all of your models and there is a huge difference between the one you selected and the most basic of programmable radios starting around $30-$40 more.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Most of the list looks good but you might want to look into a bit higher mAh packs, something around 1300-2200 is what most of the FT planes are based on. Also the charger is a bit on the high side and the Accucel6 will do all the same functions for almost half the price at about $30 if you want to use an old PS. I've used mine for all my packs including LiFe's. It's also good for nicads and Nimh if you need those as well.
Make sure you check the bearings on the NTM's as the latest versions haven't been too good. Some just need a good oiling but others are too crunchy and should be swapped out/replaced.
As far as the radio, you can have basic programming capability with the optional cable for connection to a computer. It will serve as a test to see if you care to proceed in the hobby, but if you plan on staying, a better radio might be an option. Also consider if you want to fly anything that is BnF, you may want a module based system so you can swap protocols.

Last edited:

mavrik12

Ok so I changed it to

NTM2826-1200kv $15.97
8x4 propeller 6pack $3.38
NTM accessory pack $2.05
TR_P25A - turnigy 25amp ECS $13.60
Hobby king 2.4Ghz 6ch tx x rx $29.99
Added
Turnigy 2200mAh 3s 20c x2 $19.98
Accucel-6 balance charger $24.10
Hobby king USB cable for the transmiter $3.12

Total $112.19

Droped
Turnigy 500mAh 3S 20c Lipo X2 $14.30
IMAx B6-AC charger 1-6cell $44.99

Thanks for the sudjestion I think I'm going to stick with the hobby king controller

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It will do you fine for the fist plane or two. Beyond that it will get old having to setup each time you change planes. But in the beginning, you will probably only be flying one or 2 planes so it won't be so bad.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It really depends on the supply. If it is wired to provide the full amperage on any one leg, then one should suffice. If not, then multiple 12v feeds should be used. Remember on a 2200, you only need 2.2A for charging.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
The only radio I've used is the one you plan on buying. It's a great radio for the price... if you only have one flyable plane at a time (like me). You need a computer to change it's settings. I don't see the USB cable on your list and you are, for sure, without a doubt, going to need it.

I want to throw a weird suggestion out there for you. Get the 4ch Hobby King radio because you can just flip a switch to reverse a channel. It doesn't have any mixing, so buy a elevon/v-tail mixer also. It's a touch cheaper, but the biggest thing is that it takes the computer out of the equation. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go that route.

Either way, the radio doesn't have any "expo" which is something some people seem to need.

Another bit of advice is to start with a simulator. I don't know a way to get the Hobby King 6 ch Tx to work as a sim controller, but you can just add another $17 to your order and get the Tx shaped USB controller.

Last edited:

LocalHero

I am brand new to the hobby and I just bought that same HK transmitter. After going out a few times, I can already tell you that you'll want something better, and you'll probably want it a lot sooner than you think. I recommend investing in something nicer.

If you watch the FT videos, you'll notice that they can change trim, throws, expo, reverse servos, and everything else on the fly right on the field. With the HK transmitter, you can't even reverse servos without lugging a laptop to the field, landing the plane, powering everything off, plugging in the transmitter, opening the application, etc. If you don't take a laptop to the field, every time you find that you need to change the throws (this can be a big deal), you'll have a sub-par experience with the plane until you go home and program the controller again.

Once you have the settings dialed in for one plane, you can only use that transmitter for that one plane unless you plug the transmitter in and load the saved configuration for your other plane. You can see just how annoying it might be if you plan to build/fly more planes.

If you're like me, you can live with the shortcomings of a device because you love to tinker and you love to learn. I do not regret buying the HK 6 channel transmitter, but I do regret not investing in something better right off the bat. I don't mind losing the $30 just to find out if I enjoy the hobby, but I would enjoy the hobby more with a better radio.

Seriously, consider dropping the extra cash for something with memory for multiple planes, and the ability to program some/most of the variables on the field. You will thank the community later for steering you that direction.

mavrik12

I did add the Usb cable in the revised version. I think i'm going to stay with the HK 6ch I don't know allot about the computers in radios and I want some extra channels to experiment with. Thanks for your suggestions.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Just so you know, the programming cable also can act as a link to use with a simulator. My friend has one and uses it on his sim...

offaxis

I did add the Usb cable in the revised version. I think i'm going to stay with the HK 6ch I don't know allot about the computers in radios and I want some extra channels to experiment with. Thanks for your suggestions.
It's nice being able to adjust everything on the fly. D/R expo model memory's etc. But to each their own.

rcspaceflight

Just so you know, the programming cable also can act as a link to use with a simulator. My friend has one and uses it on his sim...

Do you know how he got it to work? I could never get it to. I was told to download a piece of software that my anti-virus said was a big no-no.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think it was an emulator of some kind...makes sense if your AV went crazy. Most of the ems and cracks make the AV and MW programs pop positive. To be honest, most of those are false posits if you are careful about where you get them.

mavrik12

I bot the stuff and one thing with the controller is with the cable there is some problems with drivers on windows 7 to get it to work with sims. I'm still trying to figure it out.

The biggist problem I'm facing is the battery is a bit heavy for the FT Flyer. It works fine on my custom plane with a bigger wing spand. But on the ft flyer you really need the lighter 1000mah battery's.

moebeast

mavrik12

Ok so the gear is great. But I have no idea what to fly. I build the ft flyer but it only turns left really and I don't know how to fix the throws. Is there a plane that has better glide characteristics that is good to learn on. I like the FT flyer but when the throttle is chopped it just drops. I was thinking of the simple sorer. for the Old fogy?

rcspaceflight

Ok so the gear is great. But I have no idea what to fly. I build the ft flyer but it only turns left really and I don't know how to fix the throws. Is there a plane that has better glide characteristics that is good to learn on. I like the FT flyer but when the throttle is chopped it just drops. I was thinking of the simple sorer. for the Old fogy?

The Old Fogey is a great plane. But I recommend flipping the tail end around on the plans. The fuselage tends to get in the way of the rudder and the plane looses stability. If you flip it around so the top of the fuselage goes straight back, then the rudder is up above the wings and fixes that "problem".

Here is a picture to show what I mean:
attachment.php

It still looks like a great plane that way and flies even better.