What to Use for Firewalls?

FroProHD

What do you guys use for motor firewalls? I like the flite test variants but I'd like to make my own in order to use different motors. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

evranch

Usually just a chunk of hobby plywood mounted the way that FT does with glue and fiber tape, but my hobby shop is now 3D printing firewalls to fit the swappable pod and they are convenient and much stiffer. Print them blank with one hole for your wires, drill for your motor mount pattern and bolt with appropriate machine screws.

mayan

Legendary member
@Grifflyer I like the gift card idea although I would be scared it would leak HG into the motor and would use CA instead. I also use plywood firewalls although recently a friend 3D printed me a few firewalls so I use those and they work great too.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Grifflyer I like the gift card idea although I would be scared it would leak HG into the motor and would use CA instead. I also use plywood firewalls although recently a friend 3D printed me a few firewalls so I use those and they work great too.
I just make sure to keep HG away from any of the holes, never had any problems...
Ca might give you a stronger joint though.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have also used the cheap dollar store cutting board, it's about just over 1/8" thick and you could cut about a dozen. I also use puck board sheeting, it stands up to the cold nice

FroProHD

I have also used the cheap dollar store cutting board, it's about just over 1/8" thick and you could cut about a dozen. I also use puck board sheeting, it stands up to the cold nice
I'll be on the look out for that. Thanks. You cut them with a regular razor I take it?

Bricks

Master member
I just make sure to keep HG away from any of the holes, never had any problems...
Ca might give you a stronger joint though.

CA is too brittle if the card would flex the CA would let go, at least in my experience with flexibility and CA. Thats why when using EPP which flexes CA is not a good option. Gluing plastic together you would be much better off roughing up the surface and using something like E-6000 or any glue designed for plastics.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
For those of you who have a 3d printer I really like using threaded inserts in a standard size plate. I don't need to worry about trying to screw into the motor from the back or trying to use nuts if using the cross that comes with the motor. Pictured was just a prototype that used only 2 of 4 holes and it held the motor very securely.

IMG_20200223_225529_resize_54.jpg IMG_20200223_225630_resize_12.jpg IMG_20200223_225655_resize_29.jpg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use the 3mm hobby plywood, I can get it locally in a 12"x24" sheet.
I also use broken totes, when I can score one from the dumpster that someone has pitched. A band saw or jig saw will cut the tote into chunks that can be refined into firewalls.

Last edited: