What transmitter should i start with?

danskis

Master member
An easy one to use. You'll have a steep enough learning curve with the plane and electronics. I like my FlySky i6. There is one catch to the FlySky….the buttons are poorly labled. The "cancel" button will cancel with a short press or if you press and hold it will save your new setting. If you decide to buy a FlySky get back on the forum for some help. Or get the transmitter your mentor is using. More edits....get one with a lot of YouTube support if your on your own. Newton Airlines has a bunch of videos on YouTube on the FlySky.

Last edited:

messyhead

I went the Flysky i6x, as it fitted my budget, and I could get two, one for my son to buddy box with. The buttons are confusing at first, but fine once your used to it.

I've not found any limitations so far that I'd need to upgrade for. But my next choice was the Spektrum Dx6 or Dx6e.

Captain Jay

Elite member
I love my spektrum dx8e. It gives me the ability to have a few more channels should I need them in the future. It is about $325.00 Canadian. You can also look at the spektrum dx6e. Which is probably just under $200.00 or right around there. Helicopters need 6 channels, should you want to get into them. I recommend a transmitter with at least 6 channels or 8 for your future projects...
You don't have to have spektrum either. Many brands work just fine...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Another vote for the FlySky iA6.

I like setting my models for dead so that I can handle them safely. To do this I need a easy to program and uniform application of Fail Safe. Sadly from the experiences of Spektrum users the Fail Safe setting can be totally confusing as different "Compatible":rolleyes: receivers support different types of Fail Safe if any at all.

The iA6 Fail Safe is menu driven and once the menu is set there can not be any accidental altering of the Fail Safe settings by bumping the sticks and not juggling act to get the fail safe features required.

Just what works for me!

have fun!

moke

I love my spektrum dx8e. It gives me the ability to have a few more channels should I need them in the future. It is about $325.00 Canadian. You can also look at the spektrum dx6e. Which is probably just under $200.00 or right around there. Helicopters need 6 channels, should you want to get into them. I recommend a transmitter with at least 6 channels or 8 for your future projects...
You don't have to have spektrum either. Many brands work just fine...

ditto

Bricks

Master member
If you are a techy type person and like to tinker with such then Open Transmitter, if not like me I am a Spektrum guy does anything OT does but much simpler and you have a great customer service company to back there products. I have never bought a new transmitter I have bought my DX9`s off of RC Groups for about 1/2 the cost of new.

Bricks

Master member
Another vote for the FlySky iA6.

I like setting my models for dead so that I can handle them safely. To do this I need a easy to program and uniform application of Fail Safe. Sadly from the experiences of Spektrum users the Fail Safe setting can be totally confusing as different "Compatible":rolleyes: receivers support different types of Fail Safe if any at all.

The iA6 Fail Safe is menu driven and once the menu is set there can not be any accidental altering of the Fail Safe settings by bumping the sticks and not juggling act to get the fail safe features required.

Just what works for me!

have fun!

Not to take this off topic can you elaborate on this as Spektrum fail safe is throttle goes to zero and holds last inputs weather you do anything or not, just curious. You can set fail safe to hold any inputs you so desire.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Not to take this off topic can you elaborate on this as Spektrum fail safe is throttle goes to zero and holds last inputs weather you do anything or not, just curious. You can set fail safe to hold any inputs you so desire.
The Fail Safe on Spektrum has three modes, (2 official and one unofficial).
There is SmartSafe, Fail Safe, and the non-OEM Smart Fail Safe.
The type that you can use is determined by what the receiver supports and the way it is programmed or put into bind mode.
The Smart Fail Safe is actually a combination of SmartSafe and standard Fail Safe but so far it is limited to one of the Orange Rx manufacturers.
Smart Safe is throttle only, (all other channels in "last received").
Fail Safe is all channels preset.
Smart Fail Safe is Smart Safe for a short period of time followed by the Fail Safe operation.
The selection of the Fail Safe mode is in how you put the Rx in bind mode. Sadly if your Rx doesn't support the Fail Safe mode you try to program you can get either nothing or even poorly set fail safe. On Spektrum it is the Rx you use that determines what is available.

The real limitation, (currently), with Spektrum is that you cannot pick and choose which channels you want fail safe to act on. For the control surfaces it seems to be all or nothing whereas other radio types are available where you can select what to include and what to exclude in the fail safe operation. In addition the lack of standardisation in the "Compatible" receivers means that confusion about, or fear of, fail safe is rampant.

I use a minimum of Smart Safe on all of my models but I do so for different safety reasons than usual I use it to make my models safe to handle whilst still powered up but with the transmitter turned off. Without the Tx being switched on my models are unable to start the motor at all, and if the motor is turning when the Tx is turned off the motor is immediately shut down! No more bumping the throttle, forgetting the kill switch, or accidentally dropping the Tx and having my fingers chopped EVER!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Namactual

Elite member
Another vote for the FlySky i6 here. The gimbals do not feel as nice as my DX6e, but it has been a rock solid performer and the RX's are dirt cheap. It also might feel a little small depending on your hand size.

My DX6e works great with the very expensive Spektrum RX's, but I have had no luck with the cheaper OrangeRX's.

FDS

Elite member
I wouldn’t buy one. You are stuck with Radiolink receivers only, they don’t have much variety, there’s no support for micro versions of their protocol and the gear is no better than Flysky.
If they were any good you would hear people raving about them all the time. I looked into them before I got my first TX, realised there was no cheap and light receivers available and went elsewhere.

Bricks

Master member
Try Lemon RX for DSMX, I have 6 in use, not a single LOS in 18 months of flying them.

I have at least 20 of the small 6 channel Lemon DSMX receivers ( bought bunches of them when you could get 5 for $25 ) and they have been solid I use them in all my foam, EPP and smaller electric balsa planes. The early Orange receivers could get flaky but the newer Gen 2 receivers have been good, I am currently using about 9 of the 10 channel in gassers and glow models and so far been impressed with reliability.

Reactions: FDS

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I say DX6E, and don't buy the DX6 since it has features not needed. If you choose to go FrSky, Graupner, or Futaba I'd look on threads with them.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Im surprised, I half expected to see a dozen tx listed here....I have complex expensive TX's and cheapies....and I agree with most everyone above the FS-i6 is the best bang for your buck and easy to use....flash it to 10channel if you need more channels

Reactions: FDS