What type of lighting do you use outside

billm

I would like to try and make some videos for my store showing rc and model rocket products in the store. I'm assuming that you are using lighting outside or is it nautral lighting? Your videos are really impressive. If it is lighting, what type are you using? After seeing your videos produced with the canon DSLRs I'm kicking myself. I have a D5 and 20D along with several lenses including a 100-400 IS and I was going to dump both bodies for a D7. Instead I bought a Sony HD camcorder. I wasn't sure what shooting video without power zoom and aufofocus would be like. But, like I said your video quality is awesome. Don't get me wrong I know it is mostly the videograhper/photographer skills that make it shine.

Nicely done,
Bill

Michael Cameneti

I would like to try and make some videos for my store showing rc and model rocket products in the store. I'm assuming that you are using lighting outside or is it nautral lighting? Your videos are really impressive. If it is lighting, what type are you using? After seeing your videos produced with the canon DSLRs I'm kicking myself. I have a D5 and 20D along with several lenses including a 100-400 IS and I was going to dump both bodies for a D7. Instead I bought a Sony HD camcorder. I wasn't sure what shooting video without power zoom and aufofocus would be like. But, like I said your video quality is awesome. Don't get me wrong I know it is mostly the videograhper/photographer skills that make it shine.

Nicely done,
Bill

Bill, we typically just run with the natural sunlight… but, if it gets dark, we will use our LED light panel that Chad built using HobbyKing LED's along with a 2 or 3 cell battery (I forget which). We also own flo lights that we might use if it's really dark. It all depends on the situation.

billm

Thanks for the reply. The video is really good and I assumed you were using fill lights etc. I have Flo lights and Lowell Omnis but they would be a pain at the flying field LOL.

Bill

Forklift

<o> <3 FT
Natural sunlight is the best. If the light is too harsh and you are getting shadows, use a couple good pop-out reflectors to chase them away. In northern latitudes I find mid morning indirect sunlight best. As the day grows on, the sky will wash your colors with a blue tint you will have to post produce out. 1 hr after sunrise and 1 hr before sunset are indeed the "magical hour" for cinematography. Nice golden light makes most everything look beautiful.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

*edit* while the 5D and 7D are wonderful, especially with a red lens, the t3i should be seriously considered if you are just getting into it semi-pro.

Last edited: