what was your first transmitter and what do you use now?

Marzipan

I bet a lot of you started with the radio transmitters of old...what did you think when the tech changed and became what we have today?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I started on a dx5e, and I currently I fly on a Dx7 g2. I’m also getting a radiomaster t-16 to try out, and I’ll be using it to fly my smaller stuff with (umx and foamboard.) It’s getting increasingly hard to find the plane I want as have over 100 models on my dx7… :LOL:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
started with a dx6e, then went RM TX16S first with 4-in-1, now have an ExpressLRS module and am moving stuff to that.

Marzipan

I started on a dx5e, and I currently I fly on a Dx7 g2. I’m also getting a radiomaster t-16 to try out, and I’ll be using it to fly my smaller stuff with (umx and foamboard.) It’s getting increasingly hard to find the plane I want as have over 100 models on my dx7… :LOL:

oh my...yeh, having to navigate through 100 profile to find the one you want would become a bit of a pain, wouldn't it! first world problems, LoL!

I guess this would be where you'd start to load like 10 profiles to a memory card and just keep the little wallet of cards with you? be much easier to manage then, no?

Marzipan

started with a dx6e, then went RM TX16S first with 4-in-1, now have an ExpressLRS module and am moving stuff to that.

what are you using the ELRS module on? is this a fork from OpenTX or something new and entirely different?

Marzipan

Spektrum DX6, now I use iX12. Nice, bright, color touch screen. My only complaint is the boot up time.

did you find color to be a big help? as I'm colorblind, if something alerts me with green / red / yellow...or blue / black / other really dark colors...it's not going to be helpful! :p

CappyAmeric

Elite member
did you find color to be a big help? as I'm colorblind, if something alerts me with green / red / yellow...or blue / black / other really dark colors...it's not going to be helpful! :p
Just a pretty screen for my model photos. I rarely look at the screen when I’m flying.

AussieBison

started with (still have): FS-i6 and FS-i6X
recently got: Jumper T16 Pro V2 (OpenTx). Don't see myself leaving the OpenTx world (yet, anyway).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
oh my...yeh, having to navigate through 100 profile to find the one you want would become a bit of a pain, wouldn't it! first world problems, LoL!

I guess this would be where you'd start to load like 10 profiles to a memory card and just keep the little wallet of cards with you? be much easier to manage then, no?
Given how often I forget things when going to the field one less thing to try to remember is probably the better option. :ROFLMAO:

Marzipan

Given how often I forget things when going to the field one less thing to try to remember is probably the better option. :ROFLMAO:

the properly paranoid person has a back up of their back up of their back up...so I'd have a wallet of cards at home that stays at home. a wallet of cards that sits in the glove compartment of my vehicle and a wallet of cards that sits in my grab n go RC bag. :cool:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Spektrum DX6, now I use iX12. Nice, bright, color touch screen. My only complaint is the boot up time.
I really like the looks of the IX-12 but have heard mixed reviews on it. I’ve heard that some people have had issues with models being corrupted, as well as the whole system crashing. Whatever the case I’ve heard enough good reviews I would like to get one for myself. I am drawn toward the NX-10 since it has the Hall effect gimbals, so I’m still trying to decide which to go for.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I really like the looks of the IX-12 but have heard mixed reviews on it. I’ve heard that some people have had issues with models being corrupted, as well as the whole system crashing. Whatever the case I’ve heard enough good reviews I would like to get one for myself. I am drawn toward the NX-10 since it has the Hall effect gimbals, so I’m still trying to decide which to go for.
I’ve had my iX12 since 2018 and never had model corruption - although that was supposed to have been addressed with a firmware update recently. I have almost 100 models in mine so corruption would be so bad… note to self to do a backup

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Still have my original 6ch 72.870 AM Futaba from the mid 80's. Been down a few paths since then and am migrating everything to a RM TX16S Color. (carbon)
16334014584892550207054294924000.jpg

Last edited:

Seahunter

I bet a lot of you started with the radio transmitters of old...what did you think when the tech changed and became what we have today?
I started out very long ago with an old ACE single channel transmitter (like the one in the attached photo) that transmitted a tone signal that you pulsed to trigger a movement of the rubber powered escapment mechanism to activate movement of the rudder. One pulse right, two left. We had rudder only control then (1959) and planes looked like free flight models. Now I have a Spectrum NX10, huge improvement with about 35 planes all with electronics installed. I have a bunch of old FM transmitters out in my shop and many 2.4 GHZ such as the little eflite four channel and a DX6, Dx8 and a Spectrum NX8 new in the box which I plan to sell as I upgraded to the NX10. The NX8 came with my Draco Combo and has never been unboxed. Needless to say I am hooked on this hobby. Love the new Tech and the ability to fly multiple planes at the same time.:p
ACE Commander.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Started out back in mid 70's with a kit I got for Christmas.

Cox trainer.jpg

It came with this radio
coxradio.jpg

Now I fly using a 2017 Taranis X9D plus with upgraded hall effect gimbals and a stick mod using metal dart bodies since I pinch and stock sticks were too short.

G 4.jpg

G 3.jpg