what was your first transmitter and what do you use now?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
My first tx wasn't the oldest but it was a Spektrum dx4e that came with a firebird delta ray (what I learned on). I had a transmitter before that, but it was one of those tiny little things in an RTF bundle so I just won't count it. I quickly grew out of the dx4e's capabilities though, and after that I went straight up to a DX8 G2. I love it and it's been doing great for me the last few years. I don't know if I will ever grow out of it's capabilities, and it's definitely good enough for me right now.
Edit: Just realized that all the transmitters I have ever owned are now discontinued lol, even my DX8. I have only been flying for 5-6 years, but it's good to know I have been in the hobby long enough for that to happen hehe.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The problem is, in the country I'm in, the Flex Seal family of products is hard to access, and very expensive. I will try to find some, as that's an amazing idea.

I was kidding around being silly but I am sure it would work. I use it for many things

The Fopster

Master member
different programming...so it is the same HW but it's using it's own variant of OTX? that does not bode well for ensuring it gets bug fixes, updates and such. :confused:
Same software as radiomaster. Any updates work same on either. I meant that opentx on ANY transmitter that uses it (Jumper, Taranis etc.) is different to Spektrum et. al.

Marzipan

Same software as radiomaster. Any updates work same on either. I meant that opentx on ANY transmitter that uses it (Jumper, Taranis etc.) is different to Spektrum et. al.

okay. there was a comment when I first joined the FT forums about the version of OpenTX being different between brands and that some where better than others at releasing validated updates for download. that hints to me that OpenTX may be suffering from a level of fragmentation like Android where updates are often delayed or don't come at all and one's OS / skin will not work on anything but that one specific device.

The Fopster

Master member
okay. there was a comment when I first joined the FT forums about the version of OpenTX being different between brands and that some where better than others at releasing validated updates for download. that hints to me that OpenTX may be suffering from a level of fragmentation like Android where updates are often delayed or don't come at all and one's OS / skin will not work on anything but that one specific device.
I see your point. But the easy solution is to ignore all the upgrades. “Normal” transmitters stay the same from the day you buy them - no reason to treat opentx any different unless you want to get into the software in a big way. I’ll probably install the update that activates the touchscreen when it becomes available, and then leave it at that. If you are going to buy a TX I hope you find something that suits you.

Marzipan

I see your point. But the easy solution is to ignore all the upgrades. “Normal” transmitters stay the same from the day you buy them - no reason to treat opentx any different unless you want to get into the software in a big way. I’ll probably install the update that activates the touchscreen when it becomes available, and then leave it at that. If you are going to buy a TX I hope you find something that suits you.

does configuring an OTX transmitter always have to be complicated or does it have basic mode that limits the number of parameters you can be set for a particular feature / function and then an advanced mode that goes all macro on the tweaks that can be done?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
does configuring an OTX transmitter always have to be complicated or does it have basic mode that limits the number of parameters you can be set for a particular feature / function and then an advanced mode that goes all macro on the tweaks that can be done?
it is all out there to use when ever you want, but you don't have to use it and basic setups are rather easy, there is even a lua script that will setup a basic 4 channel plane's mixes for you (but without any dual rates/expo, that you still have to add yourself)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Not complicated at all. There are 3 basic set up scripts. Fixed wing, multirotor, and wing that pop up when you select create new model. That allows you to assign channels and functions for the 4 basic controls. Step through which ever one you happen to be setting up and your done.

You can create a new model and do that exact same thing yourself in about the same amount of time without the scripts. NOTHING else needs to be touched as its defaulted to nothing turned on or set up. ( which is probably why every one says its complicated because they are too lazy to learn and just want to have everything automated.) The most you will have to do beyond that is select any switches you want to use and tell the radio which physical switch you want to activate for each function.

If you take 5 minutes with ANY open tx radio and look at each menu page you will understand it with no effort. It only gets complicated when you try to do things on the various pages then loop them all together to work how you want for complicated mixes. Even then its not hard to troubleshoot if something is not working how you want as you go to the page you set it up on and tweak what ever you did.

Again as far as proprietary versions of OTX they are brand specific to work with proprietary receivers (or bind n fly products mainly) that may have special functions unique to that brand. Its STILL OTX but adapted to the needs of SPECIFIC gear.