What were YOUR beginner mistakes? What would you do differently, if starting over?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
What kinds of mistakes did you make as a beginner, that you'd suggest other people not copy?

For myself, I'd have done a better job of getting someone to help.

I would have done more research as to the right way to set up a plane. (oh how many of my planes were lost due to not having the correct CG?)

What would you have done differently if you were to go back in time, and slapped yourself in the head, and told yourself to do it another way.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Not knowing anything about the hobby, not looking for help and buying a cool lookin edf without any flying experience at all. I couldn't slap myself hard enough for those mistakes!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I remember mine clearly . . it was many years ago and I built a fantastic High Wing Trainer with a MaxOS 25 Engine (Nitro). Powered up and to tracked perfectly straight. Then pulled back on the elevator and it pulled up PERFECTLY. Then I tried to turn and it dropped its wing and ended up in a million pieces . . If I hand only know that applying a little up elevator when the wing banks over would have made the world of difference lol

After that I joined a club and learned to fly . . with another model.

At least know a days, we have YouTube, FliteTest :D and Flight Simulators etc and best of all the hobby is so affordable.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
My biggest beginner mistakes were wanting to fly so bad that I would go ahead and fly when it was way too windy and ended up crashing as a result. It took several crashes before I learned to wait until the weather was cooperative.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
My biggest beginner mistakes were wanting to fly so bad that I would go ahead and fly when it was way too windy and ended up crashing as a result. It took several crashes before I learned to wait until the weather was cooperative.

I've actually got my son flying on Windy Days so he can get use to controlling and being more forceful with the model. Having said that there is always a limit. If flying in the wing, get the model high first :) or as Josh B would say 2 or 3 mistakes high :)

Snoggle

buying a model that is not suited for beginners (edf jet) without looking for advice on the internet (or somewhere else) first. i guess along with buying a warbird this is one of the most common beginner mistakes!

Moogle

Newbie Member
Well because I’m sill a beginner, I can’t recognize all my mistakes. But I’ll share my mistakes that I can recognize with the rest of beginners who start as self teach

After a long time waiting for my Blixer (because of the local post office) I have made the fooling mistakes (some of them because I’m beginner and some of them because was inpatient to fly my first plane):

1) In the assembly stage I made some small mistakes because I haven’t assembly any RC planes before. Take your time and enjoy the assembly stage. Choose the correct tools (glue and hardware tools, as my dad says “every work needs the correct tool” :cool:) and search the web for tips and tricks.
2) In my order I forgot to add some connectors for ESC and I bay some cheep connectors for general use from a local electric shop. The result was to burn the ESC… thank god I have preorder a second one. If you ever want to experiment with anything have a spare one.
3) When I have completed everything was late night, so I go to a local soccer field that have lights on for my first flight. The flight was 1.3 sec long… and the crash was very bad… Don’t fly in restrict areas, if you don’t know the plane (how fast it is, how fast it can take a turn), wind days and night time are forbidden for the first flight. The next day in the morning was bit windy so the crashes and repairs continue.
4) You WILL crash, and allot of times, with bad results, so do not let it take you down. Try to enjoy the repair stage and learn from your mistakes
5) In my first day of fling I was so excited, so I take the key chain camera and mount in my Blixer on the nose the result was to destroy the camera completely. Learn to land successful, flight successful and after you return home with your plane in one piece at least ten times start to mount equipment that can break, change weight or aerodynamic of the plane.
6) NEVER fly plane drunk. Is dangerous for you, the others and last for the plane. I was… :( the result, crash on electric wires. The prop was off and some foam damages. Sometimes the impatience and enthusiasm carry you and not thinking clear, resist…
7) The replacement prop was not fitting in my Bixler motor. So I ignore the balance and centering issues and I try to open it with blade. Very bad idea. The next attempted was to slowly drill it with the drill going backwards so not lose the center of the prop and after balancing the prop works perfect. The good center and balance of a prop is pretty important!
8) My last hilarious mistake was the facing of the prop… my prop not facing the correct way… I come across some videos on YouTube and find a video with the most common mistakes that as beginners do and there I notice it. If you are a beginner, you chanced the prop not performing as you expect and curse the luck , the prop, the plane and everything come in your way, see If you made the same mistake as me.:D

I hope to help Newbie’s like me and entertain veterans in the hobby

Happy flights to everyone!

(sorry for my bad english)

Last edited:

wadsie

i really didnt make many mistakes because i was nurtured buy the guy at the hobby store which helped me every step of the way i was pritty lucky lol

Klonas

Well it depends on the plane.
In my case... You can't really glide in. The no throttle landing was my mistake with my plane.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
What I had quite often even is forgetting about the CG!

One of the really most important things to set up correctly! That was just at the beginning though but other then that I actually went through all other ones listed above as well :D:D On of my first flights with the Easystar was on a small park that was 100*30m and it was FULL with trees. Like 5 really big ones. No surprise the ES ended up in a tree... Got it down and went somewhere else :D

Rcjim11

My first aileron plane, I had the ailerons reversed...it didn't end well, twice.
Oh yes, that's me as well. My first trip to the strip began with a flight that lasted about 3 seconds. The plane started to turn right and I tried to compensate.. Rudder reversed the inevitable happened... crash & broken prop
Then after a bit of sim experience and some installed ailerons after some advice on RCG, I tried again and guess what?... They were reversed, however this time nothing broke and I was able to have a successful flight thereafter. Luckily I did not buy an EDF for my first plane and I have a Multiplex Minimag, which i still have and can recommend for anyone who is entering this hobby. just remember to go brushless and don't get the RR version!!

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Same old same old...Thought I knew it all and it turned out i knew nothing even penguins were laughing at me and saying "we can
fly better than you mate" the knowledge gained via the internet has been invaluable and although i am not flying anything too
speedy i bring em home in one piece (mostly)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Same old same old...Thought I knew it all and it turned out i knew nothing even penguins were laughing at me and saying "we can
fly better than you mate" the knowledge gained via the internet has been invaluable and although i am not flying anything too
speedy i bring em home in one piece (mostly)

So true!! We should probably create a "Remove-Before-Flight" Checklist as a sticky so that we everyone can follow through them... especially beginners! That might be something we could or even should do in the Beginners section