What will I need to know before going to my first Flite Fest?

Charlie123

Just asking for things that a never-been-to-an-event-RC-newbie would like to know before going to his first Flite Fest. (That person is me. :)).

earthsciteach

Things to know:
1) You must be an AMA member to fly. If you are not a member, you can fill out a temporary membership card at the registration tent.

2) Flight line etiquette - FTFF was the first rc event that I've flown at (even though I only flew a handful of times). I think the latest podcast discusses this.

3) Mid-day is a great time to hit the shower trailer. Its empty then.

4) Storms and canopies (the kind that provide shade) do not mix.

5) You can get some good deals on stuff from vendors.

6) FTFF is incredibly newbie friendly- its sort of geared toward newbies.

7) FTFF is friendly overall. Its a great atmosphere!

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
bring planes... lots of planes... or build them there.

FTFF 2014 was my very first RC Event. I am probably the reason for the need to discuss flying etiquette. My Versa Wing was all over the place and crossed through several flight lines on several passes. Plus, I never really held to much of a pattern (you learn a lot of bad habits flying alone in the middle of big open spaces). My apologies to all. I will behave next year and do a better job of staying over the flying space and not the spectator space.

Most importantly, bring yourself and a desire to spend time in fellowship with like minded folks.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So Charlie, are you starting preperations early for next years Flite Fest (long cold winter of building between then and now) or are you attending a local festival in the near-term?

crash bandicoot

Get a tackle box and get a crash kit going in it. I had a box with everything in it. ESCs, motors, swappable pods, batteries, a portable charger for 1s batteries, (thank goodness the charging line was bad). It was also my first even but I had practiced fling on a line. The only thing I wasn't ready for was on Saturday the wind was at my back, that was hard to take off into. Also, make sure to teach people who you go with how to be a spotter or a thrower. My dad threw my Spitfire for me once, very sideways, had to put it in the dirt so I didn't hit anyone.

But overall flying events are fun. I had a canopy with a portable table, and a cooler full of food and drinks, and it made it quite fun. I set up on the beginner flight line, and it was great.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Contact that Fred Provost guy that they keep mentioning on the podcasts and episodes (he must be famous!) and sign up as a volunteer.

earthsciteach

bring planes... lots of planes... or build them there.

FTFF 2014 was my very first RC Event. I am probably the reason for the need to discuss flying etiquette. My Versa Wing was all over the place and crossed through several flight lines on several passes. Plus, I never really held to much of a pattern (you learn a lot of bad habits flying alone in the middle of big open spaces). My apologies to all. I will behave next year and do a better job of staying over the flying space and not the spectator space.

Most importantly, bring yourself and a desire to spend time in fellowship with like minded folks.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy

I'm right there with ya, TEAJR66! You weren't the only reason for the need to discuss etiquette! I now realize that my "pattern" stretched through at least 2 flight lines. In fact, I was flying from the fpv flight line (no one else was there) and just sort of blended into the main flight line pattern with my big wing. :black_eyed: Now I know better!

Oh - your new avatar pic looks awesome!

earthsciteach

Contact that Fred Provost guy that they keep mentioning on the podcasts and episodes (he must be famous!) and sign up as a volunteer.

Volunteering is a great experience! I had more fun meeting people and answering questions (or directing people to those that could answer them) than I did flying, to be honest.

However, don't let that Fred Provost guy put you on porta-potty duty. It doesn't exist. He's a tricky one, that Fred Provost.

Charlie123

So Charlie, are you starting preperations early for next years Flite Fest (long cold winter of building between then and now) or are you attending a local festival in the near-term?
I'm starting preperations early for next years Flite Fest, And I just want to know things i need to know that will improve my experience at a Flite Fest, I have very little of an idea of what to bring besides my planes and other bits of gear and besides registering for the Flite Fest itself.