What would you guys put in a good pre-flight checklist?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
What would you guys put in a good pre-flight checklist?

For example...

- Check that the control surfaces move in the right direction.
- Range test

Let's hear your thoughts!

Rcjim11

Throttle up and with full power check surfaces
Make are all servo plugs are securely in the rx
Check the wind speed (handy if you have one of those anemometer gizmos!)
Check for loose linkages
Check prop is tightened on motor
That's all I can think of.
Edit: Check for solid bind on rx
Check trims
Check to see if the prop is spinning in the correct direction

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks for your input. I'm going to compile a printable checklist that I'll make available to everyone through the forum.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Pull on all rudders to check the hinges.
On IC - check the RX volt indicator when you are moving all servos simultaneously. (does not only check the voltage but also the drop under pressure).
Check CG (battery must be fastened not to move around).
Range Check
Wind direction – start and land in to the wind (direction can change during your flight).
Tank/ Battery full or enough. TX charged.
(Suppose you have 2,4 and dont need to check free FM channels.)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
In my P-3 flying days there was always a couple "flight essentials" we never took off without: coffee, and toilet paper. 10-14 hours without either of those is just not gonna happen.

Prowler901

If you have retracts be sure to check them for proper operation and free from binding.
Check battery voltage on your TX.
Check wing mounting. Make sure everything is tight.
Make sure your battery hatch is tight.

Manfet

Prop facing and turning in the right direction?
Control surface are working smooth - no big resistance (I got some glue on my control of elevator on the first plane worked for some time but had to crash and it did)

Snoggle

Make sure you have the right model settings loaded in your TX! I once had the wrong model (3D indoor shockflyer with all maxed out throws) loaded and it almost resulted in a crash. Since that heart attack moment i never forget to make absolutely sure i switch to the right model in my tx memory!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
CRAP is a good quick reminder before every flight.

Here's a longer list when first starting your flying day.

If using FM and around other pilots, check frequencies before turning anything on. I have heard stories of planes crashed because someone turned on a radio while not even near the flight line. Also check every time you go up because someone else may have arrived and no one noticed.
If you are anywhere near an airport be extra cautious. I had a nitro truck go nuts and destroy itself into a tree at full speed because of interference near an airport.

Check the field or flying area, park etc. Check for obstructions, water, people, animals, traffic etc.

Check for damage while transporting

Charged Batteries
Transmitter batteries, flight battery, electronics battery if using nitro, glow starter battery, ignition battery if using gas, starter or field box battery.

Full fuel tank

Securely mounted batteries and all other electronics.

Wing and tail mounted securely. Inspect hardware before assembling. If you have never watched a wing come off in flight, it's reaaaaaaallly impressive. The pilot tried a shortcut and destroyed a plane because of it.

Landing gear mounted securely (there's a story with that one)

Switch on radio, then electronics.

Set throttle lock if you have one. Rubber band on throttle works well.

Check control surfaces: Direction, travel, binding, damage, loose hardware.

Check throttle control on nitro/gas. Check direction, travel and freedom of movement.

Check throttle cut.

Good idea from above to check retracts.

Check voltage while operating all the servos together. (checks batteries, checks for potential problem servos pulling too many amps that could lead to servo failure or brown out) I recommend using a voltage indicator on all planes with a separate electronics pack. They're cheap and light.

Make sure prop is tight. (story with that one too)

For nitro, secure plane, start engine and do a good run up. Flitetest review of the Hangar 9 P-51 has a good idea for this.

Check flight area again, check wind direction and have a good time.

I like those other suggestions of things to bring. Snacks and PLENTY of water. Toilet paper. Chairs and a pop up tent usually find their way into the truck whenever I spend a day at the field. Helps to have some shade/rain protection.

Spare parts, extra fuel, tools and GLUE. Folding table. Battery charger. Can't believe I forgot that once.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Make sure you have the right model settings loaded in your TX! I once had the wrong model (3D indoor shockflyer with all maxed out throws) loaded and it almost resulted in a crash. Since that heart attack moment i never forget to make absolutely sure i switch to the right model in my tx memory!

Very good point. I would add check your flight mode. I have several throws and expo settings, mixes etc set in to my flight mode switch. I usually start on low throws and high expo's to keep it tame while taking off and landing, and to tame it while I get warmed up before turning it up for playing. I have had a couple near misses from taking off in the wrong settings and not being ready for the high throws.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks AKFlyer! Awesome list, and lot's of good ideas!

I'll compile all of this into a printable PDF, with due credit to all who have helped put it together!

earthsciteach

Airplane - CHECK
TX - CHECK
RX - CHECK
Battery - CHECK
Clear packaging tape - CHECK
Gorilla Glue - CHECK

The last two can fix anything that caused a crash by not being on the list.

;)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Airplane - CHECK
TX - CHECK
RX - CHECK
Battery - CHECK
Clear packaging tape - CHECK
Gorilla Glue - CHECK

The last two can fix anything that caused a crash by not being on the list.

;)

I can't believe I forgot clear packing tape. There's no way my cub would still be flying without it. Foam safe CA and activator spray for those of us with no patience.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
oooh- and Extreme Tape. I seriously never fly without it. I have used to to repair lots of things including motor mounts!