What would you like to see as the new FT scratch build aircraft.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well, it is going to be interesting how you approach it to make it a slow lander, have a decent flight time, and be heavy carrying a 2200 3s system.
The other 2 things of interest is to watch for is stability and how it handles in gusty winds. Are you putting any dihedral in it?
The wing will have a central joint and so dihedral can be incorporated easily. May build with a measure of dihedral but not excessive as that would adversely effect roll responses.

The carrying capacity is easily overcome with an increase in wing area and hence size. Overall It is not an easy or simple project but then if it was someone would have already done so!

It looks I may eventually have to build at least 2 different prototypes!

Have fun!

Theuglycamel

I know it's borderline just another war-bird, but a Hughes H-1 or even a Howard Killer XF-11. Especially since contra-rotating motors are getting affordable. I personally think the H-1 was one of the sexiest planes ever built...
(I know it didn't kill him... but I think spiritually it actually did...)
th.jpg
th2.jpg
002b2c1f43.jpg

Dashthemad

You know it could be interesting to attempt something along the lines of an F-14 Tomcat. I dont think ive seen any of those In the air at all. It would also further it to make the wings moveable in similar fashion to the real thing.. Not sure how plausible or economically realistic, but challenging? You decide...
😉

Dashthemad

Another good idea would be a Japanese zero or Oscar. I know it's another mini but it could easily be built bigger. If EDF is the area you wanna lean towards, maybe a Concorde. Both could be challenging, the concorde more so than the Japanese planes, but neither have much presence that ive seen in my admittedly limited experience.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This.

1555833026887.png

That's the Convair XYF Pogo. It and a few like it took off and landed vertically, nose up and tail on the ground like a rocket. You can imagine how devilish that would have been to land from the inside. LOS, it's just a fun experiment.

1555833504416.png

The props were counter-rotating, but with RC tech the way it is, I bet it could be done with one prop. The problem would be centrifugal force, when trying to land on the tail and there is no wind on the wings. I guess that's why it had counter-rotating props.

I have no idea how it could actually be pulled off, but you've got to admit. Seeing an RC plane fly into the landing area, slow and go vertical and then land on it's tail? That'd be pretty cool! :)

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
This.

View attachment 129562

That's the Convair XYF Pogo. It and a few like it took off and landed vertically, nose up and tail on the ground like a rocket. You can imagine how devilish that would have been to land from the inside. LOS, it's just a fun experiment.

View attachment 129563

The props were counter-rotating, but with RC tech the way it is, I bet it could be done with one prop. The problem would be centrifugal force, when trying to land on the tail and there is no wind on the wings. I guess that's why it had counter-rotating props.

I have no idea how it could actually be pulled off, but you've got to admit. Seeing an RC plane fly into the landing area, slow and go vertical and then land on it's tail? That'd be pretty cool! :)

That is a crazy awesome plane!!

L Edge

Master member
This.

View attachment 129562

View attachment 129563

This is the reason why 1 prop won't work.

I went the opposite direction to show I am not part of the equation. Also, it is real cool to launch it by adding full power(when it's still) and quickly remove your hand and see it go upward.

I would love to see a master series p47, or a master series p40 warhawk, I wasn't a fan of the new ft p40. It seems like a very difficult design to get to look right with flat, boxy normal ft build techniques. I'm sure A coat of paint would absolutely make it look slot better.A master series a6m5 zero would be cool too, as would a Hughes H1. That would be my top pick.

Walt1942

I would like to see the Lockheed L133 added to your master series. Specs, 3 view, and picture are below
General characteristics
  • Crew: 1
  • Length: 48 ft 4 in (14.73 m)
  • Wingspan: 46 ft 8 in (14.22 m)
  • Wing area: 325 ft2 (30.194 m2)
  • Powerplant: 2 × Lockheed L-1000 axial-flow turbojets, 5100 lbf (23 kN) each
Performance
Maximum speed:
625 mph (985 km/h)

Armament
4 × 20mm nose-mounted cannon

1556149069687.png

1556148936574.png

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
These are the planes I want to see:

1.) BAC-TSR2(Back me up here British flight fans, you know you want it! Everyone was so salty when the real one got cancelled back in the day, and rightfully so!)
1556234689922.png
1556234667935.png
1556234701936.png

2.) HP-115(If I absolutely had to pick one favorite plane, this would probably be it!) This plane paved the way for the concord, was flown by Neil Armstrong, and has the distinction of being the most acutely swept delta ever flown...at a top speed of under 300 MPH!! It was meant to test slender supersonic shapes at LOW SPEEDS, and everyone who flew it said it was quite pleasant and docile. Slender wings and vortex lift are a novel concept that wing nerds everywhere could appreciate, as this type of plane has a distinctive shape and unique handling qualities, including great vertical climb and virtually unmatched high alpha. I've seen one or two outstanding Depron builds, one I believe belongs to a member who frequents this forum, but I really want to see this in FB, FT style.
1556235434824.png
1556235420971.png
View attachment 129928
1556235530919.png

3.) Bombardier Dash 8 Airliner(FT needs a couple more good twin engine designs, and they have NOTHING of in the airliner style! warbirds, Cessnas, jets galore, bipes, wings, you name it, but no airliner style planes? While I'm thinking a jumbo jet might not make the most interesting RC(though I could be wrong!!), there are quite a few smaller prop driven airliners that I think would be a blast, especially this one with its sleekfuselage, twin turbo props, and T-tail.

1556236433840.png
1556236406686.png
1556236523459.png

Tell me that's not an absolutely gorgeous twin engine plane!

4.) Antonov An-72 "Coaler" troop transport/freighter(This would be a blast with twin EDF and a totally unique offering. This thing has great STOL capabilities, and I see no reason an RC version would be any different. I think it would make a good FPV platform or any other type of payload oriented job, aside from being super fun to fly with short take offs, thrust differential, ETC.
1556236938983.png
1556236903367.png
1556236984563.png
1556237031656.png

Attachments

• 1556235388505.png
    1556235388505.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
I would like to see the Lockheed L133 added to your master series. Specs, 3 view, and picture are below
General characteristics
  • Crew: 1
  • Length: 48 ft 4 in (14.73 m)
  • Wingspan: 46 ft 8 in (14.22 m)
  • Wing area: 325 ft2 (30.194 m2)
  • Powerplant: 2 × Lockheed L-1000 axial-flow turbojets, 5100 lbf (23 kN) each
Performance
Maximum speed:
625 mph (985 km/h)

Armament
4 × 20mm nose-mounted cannon

View attachment 129862
View attachment 129861
Never seen that one! The warbird style wing on a canard plane is unique!

sundown57

Legendary member

1.) BAC-TSR2(Back me up here British flight fans, you know you want it! Everyone was so salty when the real one got cancelled back in the day, and rightfully so!)
View attachment 129923 View attachment 129922 View attachment 129924

2.) HP-115(If I absolutely had to pick one favorite plane, this would probably be it!) This plane paved the way for the concord, was flown by Neil Armstrong, and has the distinction of being the most acutely swept delta ever flown...at a top speed of under 300 MPH!! It was meant to test slender supersonic shapes at LOW SPEEDS, and everyone who flew it said it was quite pleasant and docile. Slender wings and vortex lift are a novel concept that wing nerds everywhere could appreciate, as this type of plane has a distinctive shape and unique handling qualities, including great vertical climb and virtually unmatched high alpha. I've seen one or two outstanding Depron builds, one I believe belongs to a member who frequents this forum, but I really want to see this in FB, FT style.
View attachment 129927 View attachment 129926 View attachment 129928 View attachment 129929

3.) Bombardier Dash 8 Airliner(FT needs a couple more good twin engine designs, and they have NOTHING of in the airliner style! warbirds, Cessnas, jets galore, bipes, wings, you name it, but no airliner style planes? While I'm thinking a jumbo jet might not make the most interesting RC(though I could be wrong!!), there are quite a few smaller prop driven airliners that I think would be a blast, especially this one with its sleekfuselage, twin turbo props, and T-tail.

View attachment 129931 View attachment 129930 View attachment 129932

4.) Antonov An-72 "Coaler" troop transport/freighter(This would be a blast with twin EDF and a totally unique offering. This thing has great STOL capabilities, and I see no reason an RC version would be any different. I think it would make a good FPV platform or any other type of payload oriented job, aside from being super fun to fly with short take offs, thrust differential, ETC.
View attachment 129934 View attachment 129933 View attachment 129935 View attachment 129936
I second the airliner builds. I would love to make a twin-engine airliner like the Bombardier . and your right, that is a beautiful bird. I especially like the T tail

L Edge

Master member

View attachment 129923 View attachment 129922 View attachment 129924

View attachment 129927 View attachment 129926 View attachment 129928 View attachment 129929

View attachment 129931 View attachment 129930 View attachment 129932

View attachment 129934 View attachment 129933 View attachment 129935 View attachment 129936

Built the YC-14 including the movable T-Tail. Plane was terrible because of the high tail the control of pitch was very, very sloppy. As a STOL, it took long distance to get it to takeoff. Salvage the wing and put it on another transport(now a 2 fer 1) and use it with just the EDF's or change wing and now drops a shuttle using props. Differential works real good.

James Powell

As a veteran, I must say thank you for the products, plans and work you put out to the community (especially in regards to the war birds)! I would love to see:
C130
MQ9 Reaper
B2
Global Hawk
C 47
C 119 (I know you made one for the Planes movie episode, but a build video would be nice)
Boeing Scan Eagle

IcedStorm777

As a veteran, I must say thank you for the products, plans and work you put out to the community (especially in regards to the war birds)! I would love to see:
C130
MQ9 Reaper
B2
Global Hawk
C 47
C 119 (I know you made one for the Planes movie episode, but a build video would be nice)
Boeing Scan Eagle

I completely agree with all those! Also on another note thank you for your service!