What you got? 3D printed plane parts

chris398mx

Master member
I've been making all kinds of basic stuff in TinkerCad lately but I can only dream about making things as cool and intricate as what you're doing. Wow! (y)

Joe
Thanks Joe. It will come with more practice.
Here is is finished.
BDF finished.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Need to print some of those ducts. Great starting point for a larger hovercraft than the inductrix switch. :-D

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Totally forgot I already have a good start on these with a parametric OpenSCAD design done when building the 3Dprinted OctoUFO. Started with 1102 motors and 2" props, but had to shrink the ducts for the octoUfo
Cheers!
LitterBug
1578598851488.png

Last edited:

gregs78cam

I figured I would drop this off here. Cowl and mount for FT Seaduck. Just need to remove brims, sand and paint to suit. The mount will hot glue on to the nacelle then the cowl is a snug fit over it, or glue it if you like.

Attachments

• seaduck cowl mount 3.0.STL
    171 KB · Views: 0
  • Seaduck cowl 3.0.STL
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • seaduck cowl mount 3.0.jpg
    seaduck cowl mount 3.0.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • seaduck cowl 3.0.jpg
    seaduck cowl 3.0.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200315_170432.jpg
    20200315_170432.jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200315_165857.jpg
    20200315_165857.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200315_170408.jpg
    20200315_170408.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 0

quorneng

Master member
For me printing parts of planes is what printing is good at especially where the stress levels are high and the shape complex to achieve the desired function.
A scale airliner turbo fan nacelle and pylon.
NaclFront.JPG

Assembled from 3 parts. The RS2205 'drone' motor driving a 4 blade 5 x 3.5 prop. Printing really helps when you are going to need 4 of them!
In the final installation a printed tail cone is added to reduce the exhaust area to 85% of the FSA. On test it added about 5% to the static thrust.

quorneng

Master member
The "Spirolize" feature in CURA, sometimes called 'vase' printing, is especially useful for printing an EDF duct.
As it prints continuously the result is remarkably strong and relatively quick as there is no 'travel' time.
A single wall duct for a 50 mm EDF Folland Gnat.
EDFduct1.JPG

Printer bed limitations means it is built up from 4 pieces that exactly fit together allowing small but strong glue joints.
Unusually the EDF is right at the back but it does mean the entire inlet is 1.2 times the FSA. The duct is also smooth and the bends have a gentle radius.
In fact the duct is so rigid it was used as a 'spine' and the all Depron fuselage simply built around it.

Attachments

• FuseForms1.JPG
    FuseForms1.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 0

chris398mx

Master member
The "Spirolize" feature in CURA, sometimes called 'vase' printing, is especially useful for printing an EDF duct.
As it prints continuously the result is remarkably strong and relatively quick as there is no 'travel' time.
A single wall duct for a 50 mm EDF Folland Gnat.
View attachment 171091
Printer bed limitations means it is built up from 4 pieces that exactly fit together allowing small but strong glue joints.
Unusually the EDF is right at the back but it does mean the entire inlet is 1.2 times the FSA. The duct is also smooth and the bends have a gentle radius.
In fact the duct is so rigid it was used as a 'spine' and the all Depron fuselage simply built around it.
Looks cool, I will have to check out this feature in CURA more.