What you got? 3D printed plane parts

chris398mx

Master member
I thought I would start a thread for 3D printed parts you have either designed or found out on the Web that you are using on your planes. if you have STL files to share that would be great too.

To start here are some landing gear parts I am adding to the bomber I am designing. It is designed to go over the wire and be glued together. If anyone has a better idea on how to share these parts/designs, please let me know.

IMG_5425.jpg

Attachments

• Landing Gear cover backing plate R-L.stl
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Landing Gear cover right.stl
    504.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Upper landing gear support-right.stl
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Right landing gear support.stl
    221.6 KB · Views: 0

Turbojoe

Elite member
So far I've done my Ultra Micro steerable nose gear. I originally made it for 1/16" wire but I'm redoing it for .047 and .062 wire. Nobody makes steerable nose gear for smaller planes anymore. Goldberg stopped selling the 1/8" gear a long time ago and now I see Dubro has stopped selling the #234 3/32" 1/2A nose gear. I'm in the process of finalizing both of those gear sizes as well. I'm fighting the 3D printer again so I need to get that taken care of before I can get back to the nose gears.

Joe

Attachments

• Final nose gear.jpg
    Final nose gear.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 0

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've also done a Li-Po charger stand. It's nothing special but it works well for me on all of my chargers. It's posted on Thingiverse. LINK
I put files up for each piece as well as a file with the entire "kit" in one file.

Joe

Attachments

• Charger stand side.JPG
    Charger stand side.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Charger stand front.JPG
    Charger stand front.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 0

chris398mx

Master member
The broken part looks 3D printed because of the infill but looks like a Dubro wheel on the outside. Is it Dubro? In any case awesome job on the replacement part! (y)

Joe

Sorry, I didn't explain well enough. the pics show only the new parts. the infill looking bits are the supports I removed after printing. I wanted the outside of the wheel to look nice so I printed that side up with ironing in Cura. then i used supports to hold the flanges up while printing.
Yes, I think it is a Dubro wheel.

chris398mx

Master member
"Ironing" in Cura? That's a new operation to me. Please explain further. Cura may have just become MUCH more important to me.

Joe
Ironing just takes the nozzle across the top layers again to try to smooth out the ridges. it can also add a very small amount of plastic to fill in the voids.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I had hoped to work on the larger nose gear files today but last night and most of today my back pain issues have kept me down. I'm trying to get by on no meds and just laying flat as much as possible. TENS unit has been running continuous. I'm going nuts with boredom and want to get busy and come up with some more parts. I stayed up late last night and got the new aluminum extruder calibrated. I'm ready to rock and roll now. Kind of.;) Hoping to be more mobile tomorrow.....

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I didn't work on the nose gears or much of anything today but I did get the Ultra Micro servo plate uploaded to Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4088150 I made it specifically for the Willy Nillies kits but we know the kits already have servo mounts. I just wanted to make something with my 3D printer is all. I sent the link to Doug and he's OK with it. Looks like it's doing OK as there are almost 100 views and several downloads in only 5 hours.

Joe
First design Ultra Micro servo plate.jpg

Turbojoe

Elite member
I can't believe such a small part has kicked my butt most of last night and into this morning but if Thingiverse got my upload right there should be my print files for a replacement for the what appears to be no longer available Dubro #234 1/2A steerable nose gear. I updated everything to my needs using mashed up "kinda sorta" Dubro and Carl Goldberg themes. Thingiverse has been on a Quaalude diet lately and is sooooooooooo slow that I hope all of my hard work actually
Kit Comparison.JPG
uploaded. Try it here if you're interested: LINK I've included a picture of my latest print.

The long out of production Carl Goldberg steerable nose gear replacement is very close to being done. If I can get my act together today (don't count on it) I'll try to get it all finished up and posted today. (again, don't count on it). ;)

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Williy Nillies is shipping out the Eaglet 250 (I ordered two!) later this week so get ready. I may be posting all kinds of 3D print goodies for that bird. I already have the nose gear, servo plate and main gear pocket finalized.

Joe

chris398mx

Master member
Anybody want to try my version of Ben Harbor's BDF mount? You would have to figure out a scratch build to put it in. I designed it around a Emax 2207 RSII motor on 4S. John Overstreet is using these with 35A ESCs. I assume they are the Flite Test ones. Here is what I have so far.
This translucent PETG strings a little, but they aren't as bad as they look in the photo. They will pull off with little difficulty.

4 inch BDF prototype.jpg

BDF Gen1.jpg

Attachments

• EDF 4 inch 2208 motor.stl
    555.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've been making all kinds of basic stuff in TinkerCad lately but I can only dream about making things as cool and intricate as what you're doing. Wow! (y)

Joe