What's a good FT or other foamboard design that does well in moderate wind?

KingWookie

I just recently finished my FT Simple Scout and I absolutely love it. It's the first plane I've built that flies predictability and easily except for one thing... wind. My first flights were on a near windless day but yesterday when I tried to fly it the plane was getting pushed around quite a bit. The wind speed was probably between 5 to 10mph. This brings me to my question. Is there a FT design or other community designed plane that will do better on windy days? I'm totally digging this hobby and I'd love to add a second plane to my fleet that will be easier to handle on windy days.

Thanks!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
If you want something a little faster the arrow does really well in fairly heavy winds. The bloody baron does fairly well too.
Happy flying!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
There is no particular FT plane for wind. But here are some guidelines, bigger planes and planes with higher wing loading handle wind better. Every plane will be pushed around by the wind. It’s part of the learning experience to deal with it. Planes with some kind of stability system almost ignore the wind. Something like this one Hobby Eagle-a3 http://www.valuehobby.com/hobby-eagle-a3-pro.html

Vimana89

Legendary member
I just recently finished my FT Simple Scout and I absolutely love it. It's the first plane I've built that flies predictability and easily except for one thing... wind. My first flights were on a near windless day but yesterday when I tried to fly it the plane was getting pushed around quite a bit. The wind speed was probably between 5 to 10mph. This brings me to my question. Is there a FT design or other community designed plane that will do better on windy days? I'm totally digging this hobby and I'd love to add a second plane to my fleet that will be easier to handle on windy days.

Thanks!
5-10 MPH can get a bit annoying approaching the 10 end if you got gusts, but most planes should be able to handle it. I do agree that you should get used to flying in less than perfect conditions, but I can see why the simple Scout might have a bit of an issue. It's a larger RET plane with an under camber and dihedral. RET planes in general, especially bigger ones, are more susceptible to getting pushed around by the wind in my experience.

A low drag, low aspect RET plane such as a Nutball or Flyer will do just fine in 5-10 MPH winds and even hover against the wind like a kite, but I think your real best bet is a plane with ailerons, maybe a sleek and sporty low or mid wing with no dihedral. A flying wing would also work great, or perhaps a basic delta. Just go for a low drag shape with no dihedral that employs ailerons or elevons and you'll get a lot more wind resistance. Bigger is better to resist wind, but I've seen smaller planes do well too. You'll preferably want a wing loading coefficient above super light categories like trainers and 3d, something for a sport or scale plane like around 10ish should be good, especially just for 10 MPH.

moret

Wings always handle the wind really well.

I've flown my arrow in 20mph winds pretty easily.

I agree on the wing, I will fly mine while I leave the others home. But the others cost more also.
I think the Mustang also does well in the wind .
In high wind a bigger and faster plane helps and if the plane is not a wing I want ailerons ( full 4 channel.)
Someone has already said do not use flaps

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Hai-Lee. When we talk about flying in the wind we need to recognize that it not all winds are the same. It's not just the wind speed that is important you should also consider how gusty the wind is. I agree with others, I'm comfortable flying in a steady 20+ mph wind. But if you have a gusty wind, one that suddenly goes from 8 to 18 and then back to 7, you should think twice about flying. If the gust hits or quits at the wrong time, your toast.

PoorManRC

Master member
As I was once told by someone wiser & with more experience than myself (@Headbang !):

"The plane doesn't know it's windy!"

We have a blast using the Sea Duck in winds up to 20 to 30 kph (15 to 20 mph) winds.
Lane
I keep hearing that about the Duck! Very stable for what it is - folded Foam Core Board!! 😋

Same with the Guinea Pig. But then, they're both fairly large Planes (over 1500mm Wingspan!) And Twin Engine.

One of these days, I've got to build them.
I'd definitely recommend either!

dryhiker

I have two main flyers at this time, the Tiny Trainer and the Mini Mustang.

My Mini Mustang does better in wind because it is faster and has higher wing loading. Flying site choice is also important. My most frequent site is surrounded by trees. If I try to fly when the wind is above about 8 mph (3 m/sec) the turbulence which comes as the wind passes over the trees is really hard to fly in.

The mustang was a handful when transitioning from the Tiny Trainer aileron wing. Once my aileron thumb calmed down I got a lot better and the fun factor went way up. When a wing is tipped up by a gust, the M-Mustang has the airspeed to provide good roll control and I can counter it better. Anything low-drag with high wing loading is going to be less affected by gusts. Keep your altitude up as well to give space for recovery.

flyranger

My Old Speedster handles wind well.

Attachments

• 20210820_172155.jpg
    20210820_172155.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'm going to say simple cub, just because it's rudder is super effective. I've had some fun flying one in high winds, but landing is the problem. At 20+mph, I've had better luck landing crosswind. The bushwacker's a blast, and the amazing landing gear makes it easier to land.

danskis

Master member
The Versa Wing!!!!!! Its a wing!!! It's Josh's best creation!!!! Its easy to build!!!!! Its bigger than the Arrow. Its not the easiest to maiden. Once maidened its easy to fly - even in wind. Make some templates and build two. And don't make it the pusher version - make the tractor (puller) version. The pusher is harder to set-up initially because its harder to balance.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

Thanks!
yessss. a 170% ft commuter...
it handles wind great.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I'm going to say simple cub, just because it's rudder is super effective. I've had some fun flying one in high winds, but landing is the problem. At 20+mph, I've had better luck landing crosswind. The bushwacker's a blast, and the amazing landing gear makes it easier to land.
Clipped wing bushwhacker?