What's going on with the FTCA?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
We should remember the words of Canada’s greatest philosopher, Red Green, We are all in this together and I’m pulling for your.
And "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy."

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Why is this excellent video not out on the ftca YouTube channel, why did I have to stumble across it here. This to me has been the most encouraging bit of information so far. Maybe my navigation on the web somehow has hidden things from me that everyone else seems to have found already?
It is not a Flite Test vid. It's from Josh Bardwell.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Ah, that makes sense, but I was hoping any video content directly related to ftca would end up on their channel and that is why I subscribed to it.
My hopes, as well, but for whatever reason, they have started putting vids on a new channel.
The Edgewater Project
Extremely minimal subs, and very few views.

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
I think it bears mentioning that we ARE the FTCA. One of the reasons for signing up for the FTCA, was that we should want to represent the model aviation community to the rest of the general public. We don't need to wait for the crew at Edgewater to discuss ideas for how we can do that, and I genuinely believe that, if we initiate discussions here on how we can do that, we'll also foster more activity here in the group.

We all know our own home areas, and likely have some ideas for how we can promote the hobby in a positive way in our communities. If we always wait for someone else to get the ball rolling, though, we'll spend way too much time just twiddling our thumbs.

tamuct01

I watched the Josh Bardwell interview with the FTCA and FPVFC about their approval as a CBO. I'm interested in how the FRIA process will work out. I'll be right there to submit my yard as a FRIA as Josh mentioned several times. I hope to get the local park established as well, but I realize that will require coordination with the county. I thank Josh, Lee, and the team at the FTCA for doing the hard work of attempting to work within the system to correct the bureaucratic overreach.

fliers1

The YMCA is a CBO. I will be creating an RC aeromodelling program at our local YMCA this coming April.
Also, I think I convinced our local Ace Hardware store to start carrying RC airplanes and equipment. They will have a higher profit margin than with the other products they sell. Hardware stores already make a good profit with what they already sell, RC airplanes and products will only be icing on the cake.

How about contacting local government officials or any VIP and giving them RC flying experience? It wouldn't hurt.

I also have our local High School principal interested in an RC aeromodelling program for her S.T.E.M. program. I gave her a lesson last fall and she is hooked on the hobby and working on a program for this year. Also, Compeer (CBO) is very much interested.

Last edited:

ldharris84

Let me tell a little story about a group of us who had a build party last month after one of our club members, who is into combat, got us hooked on Bloody Barons. I purchased a Bloody Baron and FT Power Pack C Radial v2 and decided, as did the others, to build them last month as a build party. We had planned on making two. Well, things went differently for two of us. After the power box was built, I hooked up one of my AR410 Spektrum receivers, and nothing would turn on. Nothing happened. There were no lights on the receiver, but we got a beep from the ESC, so I figured it may have been a defective receiver, so I tried my other receiver with the same results. Nothing indicated what the actual problem could have been, just that there wasn't anything working when the battery was plugged into the ESC. One of the other builders said he had another receiver in his bag we could try, an AR620. It, too, didn't turn on, so three receivers were defective. Or so we thought.

We then said we knew the AR620 in his Bloody Baron was working. Let us try that one. When we plugged it into the battery, it didn't work (now the fourth receiver wasn't working), and since he was installing it into his plane, the attached servo started to smoke. We unplugged and knew something was wrong with the ESC purchased as part of the Power Pack. The ESC killed four receivers, 2 Spektrum 410 receivers, 2 Spektrum 620 receivers, and one servo because the BEC was not limiting the voltage to the receiver. It let all of the 4S battery volts straight through to the receiver. We would have never checked the output with a multimeter if not for the smoking servo. When we checked it with the multimeter, the ESC put out over 16v to the receiver. Fried it, and again, we could only determine what was going on because the last receiver was known to be working and had a servo attached that started smoking.

I sent the ESC back to Flite Test and one of the four receivers back to Flite Test, and they, too, verified that the ESC was the culprit (which we already knew based on the volts coming through), and the Flite Test team said that they had never seen one of these do this before. The Flite Test team is only willing to replace a single receiver. However, I'm still out 140 dollars as I paid my friend 100 dollars to replace his two fried receivers because of the defective ESC purchased from Flite Test. Because that was the right thing for me to do, my friend shouldn't be out 100 bucks due to a bad ESC. I'm not worrying about them replacing a blown servo, as that's a small price compared to the total of 3 receivers we lost that day, as Flite Test is only willing to reimburse us for one of the receivers. I had hoped Flite Test would do the right thing as I did for my friend and take care of this issue. This issue wasn't anything I did wrong, but due to a faulty product. I don't like to call out organizations or companies in public forums publically, and this is my first time doing this, but after the rep stopped replying after my last question about possibly throwing in some kits to make me whole) and no return acknowledgment from the president (I reached out via DM on Facebook and LinkedIn). This post was my last option.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 7.21.43 AM.png

hankflies03

Let me tell a little story about a group of us who had a build party last month after one of our club members, who is into combat, got us hooked on Bloody Barons. I purchased a Bloody Baron and FT Power Pack C Radial v2 and decided, as did the others, to build them last month as a build party. We had planned on making two. Well, things went differently for two of us. After the power box was built, I hooked up one of my AR410 Spektrum receivers, and nothing would turn on. Nothing happened. There were no lights on the receiver, but we got a beep from the ESC, so I figured it may have been a defective receiver, so I tried my other receiver with the same results. Nothing indicated what the actual problem could have been, just that there wasn't anything working when the battery was plugged into the ESC. One of the other builders said he had another receiver in his bag we could try, an AR620. It, too, didn't turn on, so three receivers were defective. Or so we thought.

We then said we knew the AR620 in his Bloody Baron was working. Let us try that one. When we plugged it into the battery, it didn't work (now the fourth receiver wasn't working), and since he was installing it into his plane, the attached servo started to smoke. We unplugged and knew something was wrong with the ESC purchased as part of the Power Pack. The ESC killed four receivers, 2 Spektrum 410 receivers, 2 Spektrum 620 receivers, and one servo because the BEC was not limiting the voltage to the receiver. It let all of the 4S battery volts straight through to the receiver. We would have never checked the output with a multimeter if not for the smoking servo. When we checked it with the multimeter, the ESC put out over 16v to the receiver. Fried it, and again, we could only determine what was going on because the last receiver was known to be working and had a servo attached that started smoking.

I sent the ESC back to Flite Test and one of the four receivers back to Flite Test, and they, too, verified that the ESC was the culprit (which we already knew based on the volts coming through), and the Flite Test team said that they had never seen one of these do this before. The Flite Test team is only willing to replace a single receiver. However, I'm still out 140 dollars as I paid my friend 100 dollars to replace his two fried receivers because of the defective ESC purchased from Flite Test. Because that was the right thing for me to do, my friend shouldn't be out 100 bucks due to a bad ESC. I'm not worrying about them replacing a blown servo, as that's a small price compared to the total of 3 receivers we lost that day, as Flite Test is only willing to reimburse us for one of the receivers. I had hoped Flite Test would do the right thing as I did for my friend and take care of this issue. This issue wasn't anything I did wrong, but due to a faulty product. I don't like to call out organizations or companies in public forums publically, and this is my first time doing this, but after the rep stopped replying after my last question about possibly throwing in some kits to make me whole) and no return acknowledgment from the president (I reached out via DM on Facebook and LinkedIn). This post was my last option.

View attachment 237602
I don't know if you've used flite test esc's before but they have a red jst connector that supplies the battery voltage directly to accessories like high voltage fpv gear. if you plug that red one into your receiver it will kill it, so only plug the three-wire servo like connector into your throttle channel. it could be that the esc failed to lower the voltage. test it out.

Foamforce

I don't know if you've used flite test esc's before but they have a red jst connector that supplies the battery voltage directly to accessories like high voltage fpv gear. if you plug that red one into your receiver it will kill it, so only plug the three-wire servo like connector into your throttle channel. it could be that the esc failed to lower the voltage. test it out.

I had a friend who smoked some electronics by mistakenly plugging the JST connector into his receiver. The plug fits because the pin spacing is the same, even though it’s two pin vs three pin.

ldharris84

I had a friend who smoked some electronics by mistakenly plugging the JST connector into his receiver. The plug fits because the pin spacing is the same, even though it’s two pin vs three pin.
Thank you, but I am aware of the red JST. See the picture below, where we put a multimeter on it to test it. As you can see, 16v from the plug. Also, check out their response in my original post acknowledging the issue was with their ESC. They had never seen a BEC problem and raised it with their supplier. The only way we discovered the problem was, as stated in my story, the receiver we KNEW worked had a servo attached, when it started smoking, we tested the connection.

FYI

hankflies03

IMG_2298 2.jpg

Last edited:

hankflies03

Thank you, but I am aware of the red JST. See the picture below, where we put a multimeter on it to test it. As you can see, 16v from the plug. Also, check out their response in my original post acknowledging the issue was with their ESC. They had never seen a BEC problem and raised it with their supplier. The only way we discovered the problem was, as stated in my story, the receiver we KNEW worked had a servo attached, when it started smoking, we tested the connection.

FYI

hankflies03

View attachment 237605
ok hmm definitly seems defective... 😬

ldharris84

ok hmm definitly seems defective... 😬
Yep, I made my buddy whole and reimbursed him for the two receivers lost and gave him one of my servos. I didn't think it was right for him to have to eat the cost because of a defective product because he was trying to help diagnose the problem. So, I'm out 100 bucks to him, 40 bucks for the other receiver I lost, and the servo I gave him to replace the one that went up in smoke. See their support team's response, which was not very supportive after they stated it was their fault.

ldharris84

did you send that pic of the multimeter? they should at least send a new esc.
Yes, that was sent on Sunday night after I got back from our build party. My first post has the dialogue from Tech acknowledging the problem but only willing to pay for one receiver. I Zelle'd over 100 bucks to my buddy to replace his two receivers. That's the right thing for me to do. They tested it and were like, "We have never seen a BEC do this before." So now, my flying friends and I will ALWAYS test our ESCs with a meter before using them.

cosmocop

I've had a similar experience. It is pretty unfortunate and good on you for making things right with your buddy.

However, I think it is perfectly reasonable for FT to replace just the ESC and one receiver. No matter what, one receiver would likely have been damaged regardless due to the faulty ESC. However, FT has no control over how many receivers/servos you would chose to try before checking the ESC itself.

Would it be nice if they chose to compensate you further? Of course. However, they have to draw the line somewhere.

Good luck getting this resolved.

ldharris84

I've had a similar experience. It is pretty unfortunate and good on you for making things right with your buddy.

However, I think it is perfectly reasonable for FT to replace just the ESC and one receiver. No matter what, one receiver would likely have been damaged regardless due to the faulty ESC. However, FT has no control over how many receivers/servos you would chose to try before checking the ESC itself.

Would it be nice if they chose to compensate you further? Of course. However, they have to draw the line somewhere.

Good luck getting this resolved.

The problem is that there was no way to know if the ESC was the issue as it beeped like every other ESC would when powering up. The receiver didn't smoke, the only thing that smoked was my friend's servo that was connected to the last receiver. I actually replied and provided another possible solution, that's when all comms went dead.

Foamforce

Wow, that’s quite the issue. Could be a solder bridge on the PCB that accidentally connected the input voltage to the BEC circuit. Did you see anything like that?

PS, not that this would help you. I’m just curious how it happened!

ldharris84

Wow, that’s quite the issue. Could be a solder bridge on the PCB that accidentally connected the input voltage to the BEC circuit. Did you see anything like that?

PS, not that this would help you. I’m just curious how it happened!
Good question. I don't know. Sent it back as I was instructed to. I still hope they will do the right thing, but hope is dwindling.