What's in YOUR workshop?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My everyday workshop...at least Im inside and dry today. A mechanics life...

IMG_1484.JPG

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Well, since I last posted in this thread I graduated from dining room table to a dedicated shop. It's not much, just my old detached office which is only about 10'x10', but it's all mine and I can make noise out there any time day or night without disturbing anyone :D

Took me a whole weekend to empty it out and then most of a second weekend to get it clean. I haven't used it as an office in almost 5 years so it just started accumulating junk. It was really nice when I first emptied it out, but once I expanded my MPCNC machine to fit full sheets of DTFB it started getting a little cramped. I love having the big CNC...but I'm still lacking workbench space:

20161224_141341.jpg

Thankfully I left that strip of unused table on the side of the machine. Currently full with two in process quads, bits from adding a laser to the CNC, and a diversity video RX I'm breadboarding. Since the CNC doesn't actually use the full space within it's frame I store stuff like piano wire and a box with vinyl (I also put a drag knife on the CNC for cutting vinyl) along with various bits and pieces I've yet to install on the machine along the back. The chunk of pink foam back there is one of my spoil boards.

20161224_145124.jpg

I had my desk clean just a month or two ago...but...projects. Still, it's clear enough to do multis and most of my soldering work.

Planes...still mean having to clean off the kitchen counter or dining room table though :p

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Shot this video a week or two back but just getting around to upload it.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
We are in the process of selling our place, so no messes for a while :(
This is an actual picture from our century 21 listing though :)

Attachments

• 13398577_1717411968523146_390594361_n.jpg
    13398577_1717411968523146_390594361_n.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3
  • ISyvirlkqvsqz30000000000.jpg
    ISyvirlkqvsqz30000000000.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 3

fixnfly

I used to take over the dining room table. Once, I build a Great Planes Basic Light Trainer on a folding table under a tree in our lawn. Eventually I carved out a space in our unfinished basement, and now occupy about about 250 sqft of it.

Rames

Here's my man cave and hangar in all its glory. Sea Duck is waiting for better painting weather. Bushwacker is almost done. Bring on FF17 East!
20170209_163010.jpg

20170209_163045.jpg

FlyingFoam

My workshop is just my room. When I don't have school work to do I push all of my books to the side and build planes there.

I tried to convince my mom to let me sell my dresser and put a workbench in it's place but for some reason she won't let me.

chasedog90

This is what my team's workshop did for the past 6 months to bad the wing broke in half on the second flight.

Attachments

• bc35539c456142179e8d7f4eeee6ad90.png
    bc35539c456142179e8d7f4eeee6ad90.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

boltroxu

For the ones of us that have no dedicated work space and work on the counter or kitchen table i have a suggestion. a big thick mat like this (http://www2.fiskars.com/search/content/?SearchText=mats).

For me it saves glue or what ever i might spill from being on the surface and if im too heavy handed with a blade it wont touch the table. So far i have yet to be able to cut threw mine with out actually trying to.

Gazoo

For the ones of us that have no dedicated work space and work on the counter or kitchen table i have a suggestion. a big thick mat like this (http://www2.fiskars.com/search/content/?SearchText=mats).

For me it saves glue or what ever i might spill from being on the surface and if im too heavy handed with a blade it wont touch the table. So far i have yet to be able to cut threw mine with out actually trying to.

Got it and love it!

Attachments

• Mat.JPG
    Mat.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 1

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My new workshop, T-Craft balsa in process and some retrofitting project on the bench too.

IMG_2692.JPG

OttoPilot

This is what my team's workshop did for the past 6 months to bad the wing broke in half on the second flight.

SAE Aero Design?

The tacos / overhead claps were always my favorite to watch...with teams that didn't understand CG, and didn't test fly their models before the competition being my second favorite.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I took a couple pictures of the workshop to answer a question in a build thread, and thought I'd share them out over here too. It's a little bit cluttered, but I'm lucky enough to have a lot of tools (and planes & kits) to try and pack into this small space :D

IMG_20200427_103952_copy_1024x768.jpg
IMG_20200427_104110_copy_1024x768.jpg
IMG_20200427_104122_copy_1024x768.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Showoff! Hey be careful @rockyboy, a couple grownup tools have crept into your workshop! I see wrenches. This is almost turning into an auto mechanic's garage.

LOL!

Before I got into RC Airplanes I built guitars and other wood stringed instruments (hand planes and carving chisels are hidden in the cabinets), and before that I spent a lot of time wrenching on bikes. Restored a couple Honda Shadows, worked on older Triumphs and Guzzi's - even built a custom fat tire soft-tail with a Harley '99 Evo motor. Well, I almost finished building it. Moved into this smaller house / workshop and don't have any place to do the final paint prep / painting / assembly. Someday I'll get back to that project though...

Tench745

Master member
I took a couple pictures of the workshop to answer a question in a build thread, and thought I'd share them out over here too. It's a little bit cluttered, but I'm lucky enough to have a lot of tools (and planes & kits) to try and pack into this small space :D

I couldn't work in that shop... Too much clutter for my neuroses. ;)
I have my own kind of clutter.

This is my build table which I share with my wife's projects.
IMG_1322[1].JPG

This is the setup from when I used to build plastic models in my parents' basement. When I moved it to my apartment it just became a messy catch-all I try to ignore.
IMG_1323[1].JPG

And this is the garage where the power tools live.
My wife inherited all her dad's auto mechanic tools which are strewn about. I try to keep things organized but most of the tools aren't useful to us and will eventually be sold, so it doesn't make much sense to build them a home. Oh yeah, and the hang-glider takes up a whole wall... I need to figure out what to do with that.
IMG_1324[1].JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I couldn't work in that shop... Too much clutter for my neuroses. ;)
I have my own kind of clutter.

This is my build table which I share with my wife's projects.
View attachment 167355

This is the setup from when I used to build plastic models in my parents' basement. When I moved it to my apartment it just became a messy catch-all I try to ignore.
View attachment 167356

And this is the garage where the power tools live.
My wife inherited all her dad's auto mechanic tools which are strewn about. I try to keep things organized but most of the tools aren't useful to us and will eventually be sold, so it doesn't make much sense to build them a home. Oh yeah, and the hang-glider takes up a whole wall... I need to figure out what to do with that.
View attachment 167357

I've jealous of the open space! :D Is that an open frame style needle cutter and a hot wire foam cutter hanging out in there? I love when people build tools to use to build more stuff! (y)

The clutter level in my shop doesn't make me very happy - two hobbies ago right after I put all the tools on the cabinet doors I could get everything put away into it's place and have empty workbench tops. Fast forward 15 years worth of tool / project / material acquisition and it's obvious I really need to have a yard sale. :cry: