20" wide by 13" chord! Work in Progress! :applause:

Guesses?

Thurmond

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Here is a teaser:

LeviathanVersaWingTeaser.jpg

Outboard sections will be up-sized of course and ailerons re-sized as well.

Guess I have been influenced by my Crash Test Hobby Deep Reaper XL! ;)

250' of 41" wide laminate on hand for this build.

Thurmond

earthsciteach

250'?!?!?! Did you hijack an Adams Foam Board truck?

I like the looks of the wing. Should be a very nice flyer!

Tritium

250'?!?!?! Did you hijack an Adams Foam Board truck?

I like the looks of the wing. Should be a very nice flyer!

Shhhhhhhh!!!!! don't say anything about the truck. With the Government on paid vacation I figured it would be a good time! :p

Target finished wing span is 2 meters (there I did it, specified length in metric measurements, it did leave a BAD taste on my three typing fingers though)!

Now teach I know you can run away with portions of the above statement given your previous comments but TRY to restrain yourself! :p

Thurmond

Johan

Shhhhhhhh!!!!! don't say anything about the truck. With the Government on paid vacation I figured it would be a good time! :p

Target finished wing span is 2 meters (there I did it, specified length in metric measurements, it did leave a BAD taste on my three typing fingers though)! ...
Thurmond

Great timing (on the truck) :)

Oh, welcome to the dark (sorry mean to say metric, but autocorrect kicked in :)) side*!

*That is what photographers say when someone switches from Canon to Nikon, maybe it is totally inappropriate here, don't pay attention :)

Last edited:

Tritium

Thanks Johan, It is easier than specifying fractional inches etc. ;) Besides that my Harbor Freight "Yard Stick" seems to be 1015mm long.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Great timing (on the truck) :)

Oh, welcome to the dark (sorry mean to say metric, but autocorrect kicked in :)) side*!

*That is what photographers say when someone switches from Canon to Nikon, maybe it is totally inappropriate here, don't pay attention :)
What do they say if you started with Nikon?

Tritium

You have one, too? The Pittsburgh?

Yep, but I have TWO! ;) Just got the wing pieces cut, still need to transfer score lines (I use twice as many as the Flite Test guys since it makes a smoother curve), have to design the ailerons as well. I might cut the center section down to 1/2 width (10" vs 20") to improve the look of the craft in which case the wingspan will only be 1750mm instead of 2000mm. Stay tuned to this channel for updates!

Teach, I haven't abandoned my multirotors (7 of them now and a new CNC Tricopter Tail assembly on the way from Chris of Armattan Quads) but with 30MPH winds for 2 days now I have to do something cause that is not flying weather at my skill level! ;)

Thurmond

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thurmond...what does extending the center section do for getting the CG right? Harder or easier? And what does it do to the handling? I guess short question is, why add straight center?

Tritium

Thurmond...what does extending the center section do for getting the CG right? Harder or easier? And what does it do to the handling? I guess short question is, why add straight center?

I am a madman for large wingspan.

I am more or less copying the Deep Reaper XL design that uses a 6" center section and in some builds uses two 6" center sections. The Deep Reaper XL has some very good slow flight characteristics and 1 hour plus flight times in some builds.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/deep-reaper-61-videos.html

Bottom line is, since I am new to wings, it is a grand experiment.

It will undoubtedly be a minimal cost great learning experience.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
With an almost 2m wingspan she should be a floater, that's for sure! Might have to give something like this a try myself. I do need to build another Versa....My Spit is also looking a little ragged around the edges...just need to make better use of my time.

Tritium

Yea I am using my Versa Patterns (modified) as templates for the new build. Several of the center sections i made joined in the fashion that Experimental Airlines Ed uses might make a nice large chord wing too. I am thinking a big high wing trainer with flaps.

Thurmond

Tritium

Guys, these Versa Wings are insidious. Every time I cut off pieces they also want to be assembled into more wings. I set out to cut 3 sets of my larger Levithan version of the Versa Wing (12 pieces of foam board) and each cut off piece was just perfect for another Versa Wing. From 12 pieces of board In addition to the original 3 sets for 3 different iterations of the Levithan I got enough pieces to assemble 3 regular sized Versa's and 2 Micro Versa's. In the pics below you will see a 20" center section mated to the Original dimension (almost anyway) Versa Wings and the Micro Versa Wing at 16" that will be powered by a 10gr 2000Kv 2S powered motor, 5" prop, 6A esc and Micro FrSky receiver. Battery and servo's are yet to be determined. Stand by, more coming shortly.

PA210047.jpg PA210048.jpg

Thurmond