What's the best FC board best for a T-Copter build

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Yes, I can't find the v5 manual. In fact, the abusemark page for naze32 rev5 AND the google code page lists the rev3 manual. I know others have stated that the wiring looks good, and they are the experts. It's just that the V3 manual does state that pins 3 and 4 are normally unused for a CPPM receiver unless you are using GPS, and for a standard receiver (PWM), to use pins 1,2,5,6,7,8:

http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30
https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/AfroFlight32

Anyway, it looks like either the documentation is wrong, or I can't find the current docs... which is odd...

Can someone provide the rev5 documentation link?

I just read cranial's response, and yes. It's not clear what you mean by the "all it did was move my Working gear/aux1 ch to my sticks." statement. Are you saying, when you flip your gear or aux1 switch, you see aileron, rudder, elevator, or throttle? If so, which ones? what pins are they connected to when you see this?

I recommend now disconnecting all the pins between the F/C and the receiver (except power and ground), and then pick either the gear or aux1 pin, and moving that around the 1-8 pins on the naze and seeing what controls what on the GUI... might be easiest if you used a female/female jumper wire instead of that breakout harness.

Absolutely. Just be careful not to connect power to any but the center pins on the receiver.

mrstamp80

What i meant was. If i take say, pin 5 which normally goes to gear on the rx, and move it to throttle ch. on rx. Turn it on, the throttle stick acts like it is the gear switch. So the gear switch won't do anything now. Make sense? Understand what i am trying to explain?

cranialrectosis

Mentor
In the receiver tab in Baseflight is a field named channel map.

It should say 'AETR1234'.

What does it say?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
There is NO rev 5 documentation per timecop Himself.

Rev. 4 documentation is all you need.

Thurmond

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Well, the Rev 4 schematics are posted, but they don't really indicate anything useful in terms of software mappings, so I went and looked at the code. One thing I realized... you selected a spectrum serial option on one of those screenshots, yet you're using a full receiver.

Looks like the spektrum code is for a satellite receiver, which you don't seem to have connected based on other photos (I just see a full receiver). So... not sure if the config is ignoring it, because you also don't have PPM selected.

https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/blob/10d5b1c953c49b7dc5135ce0c1800473de112af3/src/spektrum.c
https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight/blob/master/src/main/rx/spektrum.c

Anyway, I really don't know enough about naze32/baseflight/cleanflight. I haven't found where the RX channels are mapped yet... but my attention span is quickly fading for looking at other peoples code and I want to solder up a power harness for a 250 quad I'm building...

mrstamp80

I already posted the first 2 screenshots, so here are all the other tabs...
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (9).png
Screenshot (10).png

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
What i meant was. If i take say, pin 5 which normally goes to gear on the rx, and move it to throttle ch. on rx. Turn it on, the throttle stick acts like it is the gear switch. So the gear switch won't do anything now. Make sense? Understand what i am trying to explain?

I think what's missing from your explanation is: did you just swap the two wires or did you only change one wire?

Did you just connect pin 5 from gear -> throttle?

OR

Did you connect pin 5 from gear -> throttle
and connect pin X from throttle -> gear (where X was wherever throttle used to be connected to)

and if you did the "swap" (so that gear and throttle are swapped) what happens when you touch both the gear switch and the throttle stick?

mrstamp80

Pins 1,2,3,4 Do Not do anything, no matter where you put them. I think 100% there is a problem within the board. Because pins 5,6 all work fine, but all i am doing is doing is changing the function of the radio what ch it's using.

I e-mailed altitude hobbies and told them the problem, just waiting for a reply.

Thanks everyone for all your help with this.

mrstamp80

O.K. Time for a update!!!! You all are gonna love this after my headaches and much help from the GREAT community on here.

So, I talked with Garret at Altitude Hobbies, He agreed that the board was bad, he said he would send a new one out to me when they were back in stock second week of January. I said no worries I will just wait for it. He let's me know that he sent me out a new board no charge whoo hoo!!! right?? I am patiently waiting for the new board, said it was shipped out 1/15/2015 and would be delivered 1/20/15. Great! right? well 1/20 came and went then I had to go out of town for my job, so i was gonna be gone the following week, so I wasn't to worried about it. That week(25-30th) came and went. Looks like the USPS Lost it. Just my Luck. Contacted Garret at Altitude Hobbies and explained it to him. He said he would ship another (yes the 3rd board) one out to me NO Charge! Awesome this one finally showed up on my door on 2/4/15 Hoorraayyy!!! So after that fiasco I finally have a new board and just wanted to give mad props to Garret @ Altitude Hobbies for some GREAT customer service! ThankYou!!

So, I got the new board all up and going and EVERYTHING works!!!!!!!! Although I do have one problem that might be a easy fix. When the tricopter starts to lift off the tail servo immediately tilts to one side and sends the copter into a violent spin. when you kill the throttle the servo centers itself. As far as motor direction here to go,
Looking from above down on the copter 2 motors being in front,
M1 (tail) ccw rotation - (L) prop numbers facing up, provides lift
M2 (FR) ccw rotation - (L) prop numbers up, provides lift
M3 (FL) cw rotation - (R) prop numbers up, provides lift

I tried resetting the accelorometer didn't change anything.
Yes , it is in the tri config.
Yes i have a=good movement on my tail servo using my rudder on my transmitter.
The board is use with the arrow (on the board) facing to the front middle of the copter. Is this the correct position.???
Thanks everyone for your help through this process...

Mustang7302

O.K. Time for a update!!!! You all are gonna love this after my headaches and much help from the GREAT community on here.

So, I talked with Garret at Altitude Hobbies, He agreed that the board was bad, he said he would send a new one out to me when they were back in stock second week of January. I said no worries I will just wait for it. He let's me know that he sent me out a new board no charge whoo hoo!!! right?? I am patiently waiting for the new board, said it was shipped out 1/15/2015 and would be delivered 1/20/15. Great! right? well 1/20 came and went then I had to go out of town for my job, so i was gonna be gone the following week, so I wasn't to worried about it. That week(25-30th) came and went. Looks like the USPS Lost it. Just my Luck. Contacted Garret at Altitude Hobbies and explained it to him. He said he would ship another (yes the 3rd board) one out to me NO Charge! Awesome this one finally showed up on my door on 2/4/15 Hoorraayyy!!! So after that fiasco I finally have a new board and just wanted to give mad props to Garret @ Altitude Hobbies for some GREAT customer service! ThankYou!!

So, I got the new board all up and going and EVERYTHING works!!!!!!!! Although I do have one problem that might be a easy fix. When the tricopter starts to lift off the tail servo immediately tilts to one side and sends the copter into a violent spin. when you kill the throttle the servo centers itself. As far as motor direction here to go,
Looking from above down on the copter 2 motors being in front,
M1 (tail) ccw rotation - (L) prop numbers facing up, provides lift
M2 (FR) ccw rotation - (L) prop numbers up, provides lift
M3 (FL) cw rotation - (R) prop numbers up, provides lift

I tried resetting the accelorometer didn't change anything.
Yes , it is in the tri config.
Yes i have a=good movement on my tail servo using my rudder on my transmitter.
The board is use with the arrow (on the board) facing to the front middle of the copter. Is this the correct position.???
Thanks everyone for your help through this process...

The flight controller is correcting for yaw in the wrong direction, which means it tries even harder, which continues to amplify the spin. Easy fix, just reverse the yaw servo's direction on this screen:

attachment.php

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Altitude is also a MesaRC sponsor. Garett's customer service is top notch. Since I started buying from him 2 years ago, his selection has tripled and has changed to match the trends of our hobby. He is both pro-active and responsive. His commitment to service has never wavered.

I have read lots of complaints about several vendors but NEVER have I heard of a complaint about Altitude or Garett's service.

His prices are not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for with Altitude.

Altitude is always my first choice for electronics and no, I don't work for Garett. :)

mrstamp80

I have ordered from him before and I have never had a complaint however it was very nice to see that when I did have a problem it was handled very well. I just wanted to point this out for anyone that is deciding between two companies to place a order. Altitude was great.

Now onto the tri. Thanks I reversed the servo and the copter flies now. Thank you everyone for all your help. I will post a video soon thanks

mrstamp80

Thankyou all for all your help... However my yaw seems awful slow, as you can see in the video. Let me know what to do to correct this. thanks

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Are you running baseflight on it? What are your pid values?

I haven't tried baseflight, but I heard the default pid controller is hard to tune well for good yaw without some roll and pitch coupling. Maybe that's related?

mrstamp80

yeah i am running baseflight. I have not adjusted any of the values yet. But it seems to fly pretty well so far minus the slow yaw rate. Here are some screen shots of the pid's I am not sure what to change.

Screenshot (11).png
Screenshot (12).png