What's the best FC board best for a T-Copter build

mrstamp80

yes, then rebound to a NEW model in my transmitter, I bound it by just hooking one esc to the rx (had the naze board completely disconnected. also plugged in my servo (for tail) and into all other ch.'s to verify everything works. Then unhooked all, and reconnected FCB and all the wires to the point in the pictures. I got a solid light on my rx when everything is plugged in. But i cannot arm the board at all. tried unhooking gear and aux wires as well. Using the throttle stick to the bottom right corner- nothing, bottom left corner-nothing.

This is almost comical at this point. URGH! so frustrating. All the YT searches i have spent searching for no one seems to have this problem. Cranial, you have been a big help! can't thank you enough.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
In the new transmitter profile do you have a setting for PPM/PWM and if so, are you on PPM mode in the transmitter in the new profile?

If so, switch the new profile in the transmitter to PWM and try again. :)

mrstamp80

I have looked and looked in the settings of the transmitter no where does have a setting to change the ppm/pwm.

Tried switching to the next vacant slot and rebound the rx to the transmitter , still a no-go.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
To be clear, with the naze connected to the receiver and the transmitter in the plane mode that works, baseflight sees the sticks?

mrstamp80

No, Baseflight doesn't see the sticks at all. Maybe i was a little confused on the other post. I thought you wanted to know what mode the transmitter was on. Sorry about that. Meaning i had the transmitter in heli model, where all the sticks are different. I have my transmitter set to airplane mode.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
According to the manual: http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze32_rev3.pdf

It appears the pins you should be using are:
with standard receiver, connect AIL to 1, ELE to 2, THR to 5, RUD to 6, and AUX1/2 to channels 7 and 8.

Looks like you have throttle connected to pin 3, which seems wrong.
Aileron and Elevator looks ok.

Rudder looks wrong... looks like it might be connected to 4.

Anyway, I have a very different board (flip32+) which has different pin connections and those pics are still a little hard to see. I'd double check your pin mappings.

mrstamp80

yeah i already knew to put in airplane mode. I had built a ft knuckle h-quad, sometime ago with a kk board. Flew great until i smashed into a tree and then the kk board, would never let it fly after that. So with this build (and ft podcast's talking about really liking the naze board) I thought i would try it out.

I have learned alot about this board in the past few days with your help. If i could just get over this last hurtle. Here a couple screen shots of base flight hooked to the board. in case i missed something. remeber if i check the box for ppm/pwm then my switches don't work anymore.
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (2).png

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
KKMini! Before I "landed" my new tricopter, that board worked perfectly and was very simple to set up with the on screen settings and all.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Did you see my post about the connections between the naze and the receiver? I mentioned how they look different from what the documentation states.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I don't know Spektrum tech. I am a FrSky guy.

I am looking for a manual for your transmitter.

What I am finding are people saying you HAVE to be in PPM mode for your transmitter to work:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527398

That sounds pretty restrictive to me, and I am hoping someone with Spektrum experience chimes in here.

edit: We know the transmitter and receiver can talk in the plane profile. If you put the receiver back in the plane, can you control it from your new copter profile in the transmitter?

Last edited:

mpbiv

According to the manual: http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze32_rev3.pdf

It appears the pins you should be using are:

Looks like you have throttle connected to pin 3, which seems wrong.
Aileron and Elevator looks ok.

Rudder looks wrong... looks like it might be connected to 4.

Anyway, I have a very different board (flip32+) which has different pin connections and those pics are still a little hard to see. I'd double check your pin mappings.

Did you see my post about the connections between the naze and the receiver? I mentioned how they look different from what the documentation states.

That only applies when you have a GPS antenna hooked up because it uses ports 3 and 4. Otherwise the channel mapping is AETR1234 by default on a Naze32. His wiring appears to be correct. I keep looking through all the info already posted in this thread and I don't see anything obvious.

I've got 4 copters running Naze32 with Futaba gear, all of them setup with PWM rc control with the AETR1234 mapping.

Hopefully someone familiar with the DX6i transmitter and AR610 receiver can chime in. If everything is correct on his tx/rx settings, and all the wiring is right, maybe he has a dud Naze32 board?

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I'm in the same boat. The wiring looks good to me.

This is a Spektrum issue or a Naze issue and I don't know Spektrum enough to say.

mrstamp80

I have the Spektrum New DX6 , NOT- dx6i. As makattck mentioned the instructions he listed are from ver 3. I have been using ver.5 instructions. Just to throw it out there(for shits and giggles) makattck, i did try your method, all it did was move my Working gear/aux1 ch to my sticks.
I have also tried changing my end points, in the radio no luck. I still feel a got a bad board here.
I tried calling altitude hobbies, to find out the return's and how to go about getting another one. No answer, maybe closed for the holiday's.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I have the Spektrum New DX6 , NOT- dx6i. As makattck mentioned the instructions he listed are from ver 3. I have been using ver.5 instructions. Just to throw it out there(for shits and giggles) makattck, i did try your method, all it did was move my Working gear/aux1 ch to my sticks.
I have also tried changing my end points, in the radio no luck. I still feel a got a bad board here.
I tried calling altitude hobbies, to find out the return's and how to go about getting another one. No answer, maybe closed for the holiday's.

Send Garrett at altitude an email.

Do I understand that when you used Mak's method, you lost both the gear and aux and gained the other 4 channels?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yes, I can't find the v5 manual. In fact, the abusemark page for naze32 rev5 AND the google code page lists the rev3 manual. I know others have stated that the wiring looks good, and they are the experts. It's just that the V3 manual does state that pins 3 and 4 are normally unused for a CPPM receiver unless you are using GPS, and for a standard receiver (PWM), to use pins 1,2,5,6,7,8:

When GPS feature is enabled, channels 3 and 4 are are used for 3.3V GPS connection.
(3:TX, 4:RX). with CPPM receiver, these are normally unused, with standard receiver,
connect AIL to 1, ELE to 2, THR to 5, RUD to 6, and AUX1/2 to channels 7 and 8.

http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30
https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/AfroFlight32

Anyway, it looks like either the documentation is wrong, or I can't find the current docs... which is odd...

Can someone provide the rev5 documentation link?

I just read cranial's response, and yes. It's not clear what you mean by the "all it did was move my Working gear/aux1 ch to my sticks." statement. Are you saying, when you flip your gear or aux1 switch, you see aileron, rudder, elevator, or throttle? If so, which ones? what pins are they connected to when you see this?

I recommend now disconnecting all the pins between the F/C and the receiver (except power and ground), and then pick either the gear or aux1 pin, and moving that around the 1-8 pins on the naze and seeing what controls what on the GUI... might be easiest if you used a female/female jumper wire instead of that breakout harness.

Last edited: