What's the best upgrade for my heavy hexacopter?

What to buy

• New ESCs

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • New motors

• Bigger props

• Go for 4S

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • All of the above

• Total voters

Lubis

Hi there

My hex has gotten I bit fat lately, and now I'm at the position where I will have to upgrade it the be able to lift what I have mounted on the. My question is, in what way should I upgrade it?

Right now I have 25amps turnigy plush ESCs, RCTimer 28-30 750kv motors swinging 11x4.7 slow flyer props. I'm running 3S = 11.1V.

So: bigger ESCs, motors, props, voltage or all of the above :)

Keep in mind that I'm not made out of gold :)

Thanks

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Cheap is me. . .

So I would say . . you already have pretty much maxed out on the prop. And I'm assuming you're using 25Cs? For the money ($24 P&S included) I think bumping up the battery to a 3S 45~90C would be cheap. . . you probably could use a new battery anyway, and it will give you a noticeable bit of extra power.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I'd say try a 4S battery and see if you like it. That's the cheapest method as well if you go with Hobbyking batteries.

Lubis

I know the motors are rated for 30A and I only have 25amps ESCs. I'm guessing this will make the motors not work at their full capacity. I happen to have 4 30A plush laying around, so buying 2 more 30A ESCs aren't that expensive. Will that give me a bit of boost you think?

As for the batteries, I actually have a few nano-techs to pick up at the post office today. They're rated at 35C+

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
4s batteries will give you more lift with your setup;

Also for heavy lifting you need stiffer props,

APC, Graupner or Carbon ...... HK/GemFan slowfly are too soft !! it will break in midflight (ask me how i know) and will generate Jello images.

zev

lumpy member
cheap upgrade would be to a 12x4.7. probibly 4s is the best way to go, or both.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Have you guys tried 12x4.7s with DT750's? I have 11x4.7s and they really seem like they are close to the motor's limit, getting the motos pretty warm.