What's the best way to transfer your plans from paper to your foamboard

scratchy

Wannabie *****
I have found that carbon paper works really well but it is difficult to move the paper round (I have just bought lots of sheets)
Also using a spray adhesive to make the plans sticky then stick them to the foam board, cut everything out then peel off the plans.
Before you stick the plans to the foam board stick it to something else to remove most of the tackiness from the plans and adhesive otherwise when you take it off your foam board it will rip the paper off.

ktmrocks

I don't know that it's the best way... But I cut out all the patterns first. Then I lay one on the foam board and mark the corners with a black pencil and the ends of scores/creases with a red/blue colored pencil (respectively). Finally, I use a straight edge to draw the appropriate lines between the marks. Curved lines I just trace.

I find this is a very accurate method for transferring plans without the pain and inaccuracy of tracing.

monterx7

a friend recently printed out the spitfire and versa wing plans for me in full, so now im stuck on what to do next. i will be re-reading this thread to see what everyone has come up with. the plans are on paper so my first concern is to protect them, then how to best transfer the plans to foamboard.

what/how is everyone using to cut out their plans once on foamboard, to get the best results?

thanks

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
a friend recently printed out the spitfire and versa wing plans for me in full, so now im stuck on what to do next. i will be re-reading this thread to see what everyone has come up with. the plans are on paper so my first concern is to protect them, then how to best transfer the plans to foamboard.

what/how is everyone using to cut out their plans once on foamboard, to get the best results?

I chose the poke through method because it preserves the plans. I want to keep the full pages intact so I don't have to print them when I need new parts or if I want to rebuild the plane entirely. And I can keep them neatly on a shelf or in a folder.

For cutting, I use a straight edge and a utility blade on straight cuts. I just use a lot of dots and freehand cut (dot to dot) the curves. You use very light pressure so you can control the first line. It barely cuts through the surface of the paper. With only ever so slightly more pressure you go over the lines again and again on the curves. After the 2nd or 3rd time over the line, the groove holds your blade in place. You still have to be careful but the foam guides you around the corners after that.

Calvinwongggg

I use to stick the plans together, cut it out and then trace it on the foam board. But now I just stick the plans together and lay it on the foam, tack it down with pins and cut the paper and foam at the same time.

Cscottb84

I've need help with 150% plans for the Spitfire. Has anyone printed the plans off from Staples using the large printer they have? I believe the printer is 36in wide. Also, I'm need to know if I need to adjust the sizing on the PDF before print to a larger size paper?