What's the ideal multirotor platform for Police/EMS support/Air Bears

offaxis

Lately I've been having some discussion with a officer from my local police department on the topic of using a multirotor for surveillance and search and rescue operations. He is interested in proposing the idea to the departments and seeing if it could be a go. He's not sure if they would bring in a civilian(aka me) to pilot of if it would have to be an trained officer. If i can keep costs reasonable, I may consider building one and signing up for Air Bears.

My question to all those who are experienced AP pilots: What would you recommend as the ideal platform? What types of cameras to use (FLIR?)? What to use for vTX, vRX, long range etc. What about DVR, Telemetry, etc. What kinds GPS does it need? What about autopilot stuff? Would you have separate controls for a camera operator. I also believe this type of sUAS operation would require a FAA COA.

Cost of the equipment isn't really a concern that this time. I just want to get together a list of the ideal requirements for this type of work and recommendations for equipment. If I missed any good write-ups out there on the internet, please link them here and I'll check them out.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I don't have a huge amount of AP experience as I only have one platform and haven't really moved beyond action cams. But if they were looking for a platform out of the box the DJI inspire 1 would probably tick most of the boxes and is easy to operate. I would imagine a police department would do a pilot program (no pun intended) first to make sure this type of technology would fit their needs.