What's your Budget

nunieboy

Evening folks (or morning...even afternoon =P)!

I just spend most of my paycheck on parts :( and once again I'm eating ramen for this hobby. That might be a little exaggerated but close enough.

I'm just curious; How much do you guys spend on your hobby monthly?

epic.engineering

it depends. if I'm racing my rc cars I normally spend $20 on gas to get to the track, $10 on food and that's before it put a car in the dirt..but it's awesome. My air fleet even though i bash them,ca and clear tape goes a long way..lol after joining this forum last week I'm already looking $200 this month already on building multi rotor, and now i want to build a few planes for combat

DDSFlyer

I thought I was keeping it at 100 bucks per month in parts, new planes, etc up but I'm pretty sure thats just bananas thinking I only spend that much....

skeplin

I'm going to have to agree with tramsgar -- I scrape up every bit of "fun money" that I can to buy parts. It's nice buying from HobbyKing's global warehouse because it gives me 15 - 20 days to think about my purchase and save for the next.

Last edited:

tramsgar

It's nice buying from HobbyKing's global warehouse because it gives me 15 - 20 days to think about my purchase and save for the next.

Or 15-20 days to ponder how I was actually thinking I could afford it... =)

Ok, that's it, I'm officially saving up for a sofa.

Mustang7302

I try my best to limit to $200 a month on parts, gear, and materials. This of course, doesn't include the one time expenses of buying a new airframe ... Habu 2, I am looking at you.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Budget? What's that?

Seriously though, I think I spend about $50 a month. Not sure. I hope it's less than that because I don't fly too often and I always scratch build. The cashier at Dollar Tree did say to me "Didn't you just buy a bunch of this?", talking about foam board.

I can seem to get my electronics to last a long time and I always keep a bunch of spares. It's those dang props that I have to keep buying.

Maybe it averages out more than $50 because of those few purchases from Hobby King for around $100 each. I think I only do that once every few months. Maybe it's less than $50. I think it's better if I don't know for sure. Especially with all of the money I spent getting started in this hobby.

But now I'm thinking of buying a better Tx. ...

JasonEricAnderson

Being that I just got started I've had a lot of the upfront costs with getting my first gear. If I average that over the three months since my first HobbyKing order... about $80. That being said I'm currently still in what I'll call my growth stage. I have a path I've decided to follow so I know I'm going to be spending some change every month. I think I'll taper off some once I have fleshed out my hanger to what I want.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Budget, We don't need no stinkin budget! :)

I have probably spent nearly 5K in the last two years but I have no children and have to make up the void that creates. ;)

Thurmond

epic.engineering

I've easily spent at least 5k as well when you factor in my 2 1/8 scale buggies, short course truck, rock crawler.. lol

Hi, my name is jules and I have a problem.

tramsgar

Being that I just got started I've had a lot of the upfront costs with getting my first gear. ... That being said I'm currently still in what I'll call my growth stage. ... I think I'll taper off some once I have fleshed out my hanger to what I want.

So this growth stage, there's an end to it? Cause I'm longing for it...

I can seem to get my electronics to last a long time and I always keep a bunch of spares. It's those dang props that I have to keep buying.
Maybe it's less than $50. I think it's better if I don't know for sure. Especially with all of the money I spent getting started in this hobby.

I too repair everything, keep spares, reuse, save ordinary stuff as cheap building materials, but... How much did you have to spend before you got down to ~$50/month? =)

tramsgar

wait there's a elite?! i'm only platinum!

Good for you! EliteClub feels as honouring as a Darwin Award.

Budget, We don't need no stinkin budget! :)

Wait, you work for the government?

I have probably spent nearly 5K in the last two years but I have no children and have to make up the void that creates. ;)
Thurmond

Bah, I broke your record in ONE year. And I have children to feed. *cue slow clap*

I've easily spent at least 5k as well when you factor in my 2 1/8 scale buggies, short course truck, rock crawler.. lol

Hi, my name is jules and I have a problem.

*all* HI JULES!

earthsciteach

I probably spend around $50 per month on average, if I look at the course of a year. I just blew my month's worth by ordering 2, 2200 mah, 3 cell LiPos and a couple of props for headsuphobby.com

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
How much did you have to spend before you got down to ~$50/month? =)

I think like $500 total (for stuff that lasted me the first month or two or three). I still have a plane that I bought with my first order that I never flew. It's one of those small and fast warbirds. I didn't want to waste the $60 I spent on it by destroying it instantly. I think I'm at the point where I am comfortable flying it, but I managed to damage the battery I bought for it. For some reason I'm not in a hurry to fly it.

I really should order more batteries. I own four that are all different, random sizes. And one is damaged. I think I can still use that one, but I don't trust it. Especially since I don't have a battery bag. Oh the things I should buy.

RoyBro

Mentor
I've been trying to keep the cost down by doing a lot of diy. Unfortunately I fried my transmitter (doing diy) so I had to order a replacement Turnigy 9x. The morning after I placed the order, I saw that Hobbyking was selling the Taranis. I am perpetually cursed with bad timing. My wife took pity on me and allowed me to order the Taranis. So my budget is whatever I can get past the wife.
After all, a guy needs receivers, right? It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.