What's your camera for FPV?

N222NY

Hi everyone,

Im putting together the components for my first FPV setup and wanted to get some thoughts on a good basic first camera. I believe this is the one the flitetest guys mention in their FPV setup video:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13434__1_3_inch_SONY_CCD_Video_Camera_NTSC_.html

I also saw that they reccomend changing the lens.

Does anyone have any reviews they can share on this camera? How about any others out there around this price point? Anyone have any luck on good old Ebay finding a good camera? Again, Im just looking for entry level, simple daytime stuff. I plan on running a 1.2Ghz system and a 7" LCD monitor for display.

Thanks!

Shawn

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I use a 808 #16. Make sure you get the V2 if you go this route. The mobius is getting rave reviews as well. Both let you record on the plane while sending live feed to your VTx for FPV.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I use the PZ0420 - awesome camera! The metallic case is a bit on the heavy side, though.

N222NY

Thanks for the ideas so far everyone.

XUZME720.....so I actually have this camera....but I dont think it is version 2....can you explain the difference? The one I have is powered through its own little internal battery that you charge every once and a while. It looks like this is the av cord for the version 2 camera?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-A...97?pt=Camera_Cables_Cords&hash=item232c86cf75

Does it then just get powered through the aircraft onboard lipo? THANKS!

Shawn

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks for the ideas so far everyone.

XUZME720.....so I actually have this camera....but I dont think it is version 2....can you explain the difference? The one I have is powered through its own little internal battery that you charge every once and a while. It looks like this is the av cord for the version 2 camera?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-A...97?pt=Camera_Cables_Cords&hash=item232c86cf75

Does it then just get powered through the aircraft onboard lipo? THANKS!

Shawn

I'll guess here, only V2 supports the video out functionality through that cable.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No both versions do video out, i believe. The version 2 has better resolution and supports many more parameter adjustments. The manual can be found here. It also supports firmware upgrades.

The adjustments menu:
Date time=[2013/11/23-01:11:33];date time setting,format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss,
Movie resolution=[0];Movie resolution setting,0:720p,1:wvga,2:vga,
Movie cycle time=[1];movie cycle time,0:5 minutes,1:20 minutes,2:40 minutes,3: 70 minutes,
movie Loop Recording=[0];set loop recording on or off,0: off,1: on,
Movie stamp=[0];set date / time stamp on or off,0: off,1: on,
Movie sound=[1];set movie sound,0:mute,1:level 1,2:level 2,3:level 3,
LED=[1];set LED flicker when recording,0: off,1: on,
Movie quality=[1];set movie quality,set movie data rate,0:10 Mbps,1:7 Mbps,
Power off=[2];set system auto power off time when system pending,0: off,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Movie Flip=[0];set movie rotate,0: off,1: on,
TV out=[1];set Tv out,0: off,1:NTSC,2:pAL,
Capture Size=[0];set photo size,0:1280x960,1:1280x720,
Auto Record=[0];set movie auto record,0: off,1: on,
Exposure Value=[2];Exposure compensation,0:-2EV,1:-1EV,2: 0EV,3:+1EV,4:+2EV
White Balance=[0];Set White Balance,0 :Auto,1: Daylight,2:Cloudy,3:Tungsten,4:Fluorescent,
Contrast=[2];Set Contrast,0:-2,1:-1,2:Normal,3:+1,4:+2,
Color Effect=[0];Set Color Effect,0:Standard,1:Mono,2:Sepia,3:Cooler,4:Cool,5:Warm,6:Warmer,
Saturation=[3];Set Image Staturation,0:-2,1:-1,2:Normal,3:+1,4:+2,
Set Time Lapse Shooting=[0],0: off,1: 0.25s,2: 0.5s,3:1s,4:2s,5:5s,6:10s,7:30s,8:60s
Motion Detect=[0];set motion detect,0: off,1: on
Motion Detect Timeout=[2];set motion detect timeout,0:5s,1:15s,2:30s,3:60s
Motion Detect Sensitivity=[0];set motion detect Sensitivity,0:high,1:low
Movie Frame Rate=[0];Movie frame rate setting,0:30fps,1:25fps,2:20fps,3:15fps,4:10fps,5:5fps,
Power on=[0];set system power on time,0:delay,1:fast
TV Display Ratio=[1];set display ratio,0:4*3,1:16*9

Do not plug it in to your battery! The cameras are only rated for 5v and can be powered from a spare Rx port or any other 5v source.

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
Regarding the 808 #16, you can get a "D" lens for it (a little wider angle) that may make it nicer for FPV.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Regarding the 808 #16, you can get a "D" lens for it (a little wider angle) that may make it nicer for FPV.

I'm on the fence about the D lens (though I haven't tried it on an FPV TX yet) -- feels a little too wide at times . . .

nice part about that camera, picking up another lens to try out (or replace after a crash) is cheap.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm on the fence about the D lens (though I haven't tried it on an FPV TX yet) -- feels a little too wide at times . . .

nice part about that camera, picking up another lens to try out (or replace after a crash) is cheap.
Batteries, too!

lonewolf7717

ReadymadeRC
RMRC-540N

The thing is a tank, purchased back before utilizing the 808 cams for live feed was common practice.