When a law is unjust....

StreetNickel

If something is completely moral and okay for you to do, no measure of legislative pixie dust can alter the morality of such an act.

If you're not harming anyone or threatening to harm anyone, what good does it do to obey an endless list of unjust laws, just to please some crooked politicians and their edicts?

If you're doing something completely moral and a cop or politician tries to use force against you, what does that say about the person who's stopping you? Do they value law over morality?

When a law is unjust, it is not only right to disobey, it should be an obligation to do so.

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
-MLK Jr.

I get it, don't fly over airports, don't fly over military bases, don't fly over potentially dangerous situations, don't interfere with other aircraft. Any moral person can stand behind these common-sense rules without being told to do so. Yet, any immoral person would do so anyways, regardless of the rules or consequences.

So what is the law really doing? These extra rules don't stop bad people from doing bad things, they stop good people from doing good things. Bad people don't care about what's right, and they certainly don't care about the law... Good people want to do what's right, but unfortunately they confuse legality with morality...

At this point, if you claim to be a law-abiding citizen, you're a liar. As of 2015 there are over 5000 federal criminal laws, with over 300,000 regulations that can be enforced criminally... And that's just on the federal level. Unless you can read all 300k+ regulations, you can't claim to abide by a law you don't even know. At this point, anyone can be guilty of a crime and not know it. At this point, we need to ignore the law and go with our own moral conscience. The immoral will deal with the consequences of their actions on an individual basis so that the sane moral people can continue to do what they do unbothered by political tyrants.

You give them an inch, they'll take a mile. So don't give them an inch. Stop complying with these reductions to your freedom to pursuit of happiness. If it's not hurting anyone, it's moral.

At the end of the day, your own moral code supersedes the law. It's about time we act that way.

Scotto

Elite member
Well said. (y) I love it. I just see rc stuff as, if the plane or whatever is your property and its on someone elses property without permissiin, you are tresspassing. Local government can handle that easy enough. The federal government should mind its own business as defined in the Constitution. Welcome to the forum.

One man's moral is another man's immoral, ay there's the rub.
So with regard to my behavior should I rely on your judgement or mine?

As a democratic society we agree to rely on the consensus judgement of "the people" over the judgement of the individual in matters where one might cause undue harm to another. Personally I have to live by my own rules and standards even if they're counter to what the group decides, but that's just me.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
If something is completely moral and okay for you to do, no measure of legislative pixie dust can alter the morality of such an act.

If you're not harming anyone or threatening to harm anyone, what good does it do to obey an endless list of unjust laws, just to please some crooked politicians and their edicts?

If you're doing something completely moral and a cop or politician tries to use force against you, what does that say about the person who's stopping you? Do they value law over morality?

When a law is unjust, it is not only right to disobey, it should be an obligation to do so.

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
-MLK Jr.

I get it, don't fly over airports, don't fly over military bases, don't fly over potentially dangerous situations, don't interfere with other aircraft. Any moral person can stand behind these common-sense rules without being told to do so. Yet, any immoral person would do so anyways, regardless of the rules or consequences.

So what is the law really doing? These extra rules don't stop bad people from doing bad things, they stop good people from doing good things. Bad people don't care about what's right, and they certainly don't care about the law... Good people want to do what's right, but unfortunately they confuse legality with morality...

At this point, if you claim to be a law-abiding citizen, you're a liar. As of 2015 there are over 5000 federal criminal laws, with over 300,000 regulations that can be enforced criminally... And that's just on the federal level. Unless you can read all 300k+ regulations, you can't claim to abide by a law you don't even know. At this point, anyone can be guilty of a crime and not know it. At this point, we need to ignore the law and go with our own moral conscience. The immoral will deal with the consequences of their actions on an individual basis so that the sane moral people can continue to do what they do unbothered by political tyrants.

You give them an inch, they'll take a mile. So don't give them an inch. Stop complying with these reductions to your freedom to pursuit of happiness. If it's not hurting anyone, it's moral.

At the end of the day, your own moral code supersedes the law. It's about time we act that way.

Like the character Professor Bernardo de la Paz in Heinlien's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, I've worked out a similar ethic.
If something is wrong, does not matter whether it is legal or not, won't do it.
If something is right and legal, well no problem,
If it is right and illegal, well then it becomes a complex calculus of odds of getting caught, what happens if I am caught, etc.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Like the character Professor Bernardo de la Paz in Heinlien's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, I've worked out a similar ethic.
If something is wrong, does not matter whether it is legal or not, won't do it.
If something is right and legal, well no problem,
If it is right and illegal, well then it becomes a complex calculus of odds of getting caught, what happens if I am caught, etc.
I love it when someone quotes Heinlein!!! Ala Starship Trooper - only those with military service can be citizens. That'd narrow the political pool. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Scotto

Elite member
I might add that a lot of what I have problems with are not actually "laws." Its color of law and creative use of legalese like code, mandate, regulation, guidance, tax, rule, directive, decree, etc.... and it couldnt make the cut for being an actual law for a reason and that is another reason why we shouldnt allow such things to change our behavior.

SSgt Duramax

Oh is that still a thing? And all that "woke" stuff and "cancel culture", is that still around too?

Even minnie is woke now.

220127112351-01-minnie-mouse-stella-mccartney-pantsuit.jpg

Its ok, I always like a woman in a blue pants suit.

f3c31da462d337c4cbbf00b9f8fdb06f.jpg

Opus

Well said Streetnickle. A few more points:
1. There is no such thing as a Pilots License. In America, pilots are not licensed, they are Certified. A license is a grant of permission. A certificate is a statement of competency.
2. FAA authority is limited to Interstate Air Commerce. Period. Individual States could conceivably regulate RC activity but it would be limited to the authority granted to the State in the State Constitution under Public Safety.
3. Even if the FAA had authority it would be limited to Controlled Airspace which in many cases doesn't even begin until 1200 feet above the ground. Check a sectional map for your area.
Common sense still applies. You don't fly RC near an airport or any place where your flying could cause problems for others.