Where did the logo come from?

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
1st post WOOT!

I saw the link to this thread on the FT FB page so I figured I'd chime in with the 3D printed Gremlin I sent to them as a favor.

Enjoy!

Thank you for that!
Have you noticed that Heli-Yeah! uses this as his avatar?

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
It's from this clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI7L4KHVBl0&feature=sh_e_se&list=SL
And the question still left unanswered.
They made a 3D model in software like Blender, 3D tracked the shot and placed it on there...
That's the my theory anyways... :)

This would become a MUCH longer thread if I explained step-by-step how it was done. Here are the basics...

1. We used 3DS Max to build the 3D model
2. SynthEyes to track the footage
3. And Fusion to composite everything together.

Dave Hayward = 3D Modeler/Animator
Robert Dumea = Compositor
Michael Cameneti = Composer
Chad Kapper = Pilot

We all work at StoneKap Productions, Ltd.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
1st post WOOT!

I saw the link to this thread on the FT FB page so I figured I'd chime in with the 3D printed Gremlin I sent to them as a favor.

Enjoy!

Welcome aboard Brad!

So how much are favors going for theses days? I obviously admire your work, and would really like to get my hands on one of those little guys. Let me know if you would be interested in selling one.

He would really look cool mounted to the wing of my Bixler (AKA "The Fixler":black_eyed: ), but sadly, he'd more than likely be decapitated by the end of the ride. :(

Last edited:

team222badbrad

Welcome aboard Brad!

So how much are favors going for theses days? I obviously admire your work, and would really like to get my hands on one of those little guys. Let me know if you would be interested in selling one.

He would really look cool mounted to the wing of my Bixler (AKA "The Fixler":black_eyed: ), but sadly, he'd more than likely be decapitated by the end of the ride. :(

Well honestly I wouldn't really feel comfortable with selling them unless Chad gives me permission to do so. It is his logo design and intellectual property.

Also these are very fragile mainly due to the design of the character.

Thank you for that!
Have you noticed that Heli-Yeah! uses this as his avatar?

Your welcome! I enjoyed making it! I didn't notice that until now!

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Well honestly I wouldn't really feel comfortable with selling them unless Chad gives me permission to do so. It is his logo design and intellectual property.

Also these are very fragile mainly due to the design of the character.

I'm OK with it, as long as you make a disclaimer that you are working independent of Flite Test and you are using our graphics with permission.

team222badbrad

I'm OK with it, as long as you make a disclaimer that you are working independent of Flite Test and you are using our graphics with permission.

Thanks Chad!

Here's the deal.

You will be required to glue the Gremlin to the base. This allows for reduced cost, added strength and ease of shipment.

The cost for a Gremlin standing 1.6" tall, wingspan (armspan) of 3.25", and with a base of 3" inches in diameter is $35 shipped First Class Mail (Domestic-USA). International First Class Mail will bring the price to $38.

Thinking that's expensive? Well consider this: Each one takes 2 hours to make and is made using $40K worth of equipment. Also the price was reduced from what what I would normally charge which is about $50.

The one I made for FliteTest was a bit smaller, but making this a bit larger adds strength to the long thin appendages.

If you would like to place an order please PM me with your Paypal email address so I can you send an invoice. Also don't forget to let me know if you from the USA or elsewhere in the world.

Last but not least as Chad mentioned I am an independent company with no affiliation to FliteTest and I am using their logo with permission. (see above quote)

Liemavick

Mentor
"The logo was the first thing to come into existence... even before Josh and Josh were asked to host the show. Flite Test is more than a show. It was always intended to be a trusted brand that represents a community of dreamers and backyard engineers."

Well said Chad. I'm sure I'm not the only new Flite test fan who has wondered how The Gremlin came about so Im bumping this for another go round :)

slowjo

Master member
We looked at 5 rings up to 8 rings. Each number looked different, but not drastically. I wanted there to be some thought or meaning to it so I picked 7. The number 7 is seen by many as an important, divine, or even a perfect number. And to some... it's lucky.
So I figured that would be the best way to go.
perfect : ) jo