Where do you get your substitute for Dollar Tree Foam Board?

Phin G

Elite member
It doesn't matter where in europe you buy it, the flite test board is extortionately expensive, I am talking silly prices. I buy my foamboard off Ebay UK and pay £22 for 10 sheets of 5mm A1 size sheets. Its more dense and therefore more heavy than the Flite Test board but I am not bothered, my planes fly fine and look okay too. If anything the increased density makes them more rigid and hence more durable.
See if you have a hobbyCraft nearby they sell 4 A1 for £10 or sometimes they mess up the order and they send you 8 sheets for £10 ;)
3B3E2D26-3E44-4E8E-92A1-B452EA102033.jpeg

leaded50

Legendary member
Im in Norway, and foamboards locally is with a self-adhesive side, and thin aluminium and paper similarity other side, with core of XPS similarity , or laminate floor underlay,Depron/XPS, 3 or 5mm thick without any paper on.. None of them is cheap. (easy to roll though.. but not as strong as standard foamboard)
A few national public relation or office delivery shops have foamboard too, but expensive, and minimum orders.
Mainly i order from another town standard foamboard (shopname Panduro) who is a chain of stores in Scandinavia, and normally ships it from Swedish storage to here (approx 4-7 days delievery) cheaper than all others, and the "right" type.. paper on both sides and foam center. Shit is, sometimes its not possible tear the paper of, but have learned a technique with a fish fillet knife to get rid of it.

Pilotr2020

idk if anybody has mentioned this, but Walmart sells "Ross" brand foam board that's basically the same thing as readiboard. You can buy it in store or on the website; it's 20 cents cheaper and better quality (it is slightly heavier, but only by a few grams).

kilroy07

Legendary member
idk if anybody has mentioned this, but Walmart sells "Ross" brand foam board that's basically the same thing as readiboard. You can buy it in store or on the website; it's 20 cents cheaper and better quality (it is slightly heavier, but only by a few grams).
In my experience, Ross FB seems "softer". Also if you have calibrated a needle cutter or laser, it's a tad thicker too (affect things like cut depth and slot width on the plans.)

It works, (I've used it in a pinch) but the DTFB just seems a but stiffer and more consistent quality. Ross "Might" be better for MS kits though... :unsure:

Your mileage may vary.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

Marzipan

so, went into our Dollarama and they had two 20 x 30 options...white foamboard for $4.00 CAD or some black for $1.50 CAD. I bought the last 6 black sheets they had. I checked Walmart as well, but they had nothing.

we have a dollar store with more I'll check out next. hopefully the black board is okay and I'll try my hand at a Tutor!

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
so, went into our Dollarama and they had two 20 x 30 options...white foamboard for $4.00 CAD or some black for $1.50 CAD. I bought the last 6 black sheets they had. I checked Walmart as well, but they had nothing.

we have a dollar store with more I'll check out next. hopefully the black board is okay and I'll try my hand at a Tutor!

The black foam board I bought above seems very hardy. I beat the tar out of my Pfalz & it came back for more. Come to think of it, I don't think I even bent my wing!

:unsure:

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Just outta curiosity, how much does dtfb weigh, per m^2? I assume people peel off the paper?
i'm not sure how much it weighs but i don't peel the paper off as i'm not horribly concerned about weight.
all i know is that its light engough for me to build planes with
(be careful with the glue gun though hot glue adds a considerable amount of weight to the planes)