Where to buy electronics?

Kbat11700

Sorry for posting another thread so soon after the last one.

I just scratch build a mini scout with a friend as her first airplane. We we're on hobbyking this morning and I out together a electronics pack I knew would work well for less than a ft power pack.

But unfortunately, hobbyking is just being a pain in my.... Butt to work with. I can't actually get them to take my money.

So my question is, where do you guys like to shop for budget electronics? I have used eBay and Amazon a fair bit but I can't really find what I need easily on those sites. I have come across another site that had good stuff previously but I can't remember what it was called. We need everything, radio, servos, ESC, motor... All of it

Any recommendations?

Oh, and this is the beauty, black foam board to!

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_201815.jpg
    IMG_20190603_201815.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Since you need all of it, the FT power packs are a hard deal to beat. You can find some stuff cheaper, but by the time you get it all pieced together and shipped, you don’t come out much ahead. Plus the little things like the props, linkage stoppers, and extensions make it a great value.

On the other side, value hobbies is decent, and I use banggood also. Tower hobbies and Grayson Hobby. Check out the “disposable” brushless motor ESC combo at Grayson.

As far as a radio... That’s a whole nother debate. So, I’ll kick it off by saying Taranis Q x7.

Reactions: FDS

whackflyer

Master member
I use AloftHobbies for cheap receivers, and HeadsUpHobby or Altitude Hobbies for a lot of other cheap stuff. If you’re getting 9g servos, I have found getting ten at a time from amazon works well, haven’t had a problem yet. One of them has been submerged for longer than five minutes at a time in an airboat I made, and it’s still ticking. Below I’ll post a link to the cheapest 5g servos I’ve found. I haven’t bought any, but they look nice and are cheap enough. You can also get cheap esc’s from Altitude Hobbies. Hope that helps!

https://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up-5g-SG-50-Analog-Sub-Micro-Servo_p_1876.html

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
I find Headsup Hobby to be a good place that has good prices and quality. For super cheap you can do banggood, although don't be expecting it to arrive in a hurry. I have also bought from Valu-hobby, BuddyRC, and Towerhobbies with no issues.

Kbat11700

Sweet, my go to used to be towerhobbies untill I found hobbyking, lol. I'll see what prices look like these days

The disposable setup from Grayson hobbies looks pretty much perfect. I have yet to look into the others though. I'll report back when I do.

I think for a radio we will.just do one of the basic 4-6ch options on ebay or such. Price is the driving factor because this is there first airplane and they don't know if they will like it. Once the bug bites then they can get something programmable to move on with ;).

FDS

Elite member
Don’t buy a garbage transmitter. Get a Flysky Fs6i if you want a cheap one that actually works, you want the ability to easily set dual rates, expo and set switches. Those features will make flying a lot easier and enjoyable plus if they don’t like the hobby they will hold their second hand value better.
There’s ones available with a pre bound receiver for sensible money.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I get a lot of my stuff from HK, at check out there is one question that always holds me up. They don't like my address, I just hit ignore and move on. My stuff always comes.

I have also had good luck with Banggood, Value Hobby and eBay.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Not adding much to whats already been posted here...

Hobbyking and Banggood are my go to, sorry to hear you're having troubles with HK, have always had good luck with them myself...

I've found a lot of good stuff on AliExpress as well, but like banggood, don't expect it any time soon!

A lot of the stuff you find on BG is on ebay now it seems like, that's always a good option.

I know it was said earlier, but Whatever you do... Don't buy a junk transmitter! I personally like Spektrum but dealers choice... The Flysky is very good quality compared to what it cost...

Kbat11700

Well we finally got the Hobbyking order to go through... and thanks to you guys I found ended up ordering stuff for myself from grayson hobbys, hehehe :p.

I know it was said earlier, but Whatever you do... Don't buy a junk transmitter! I personally like Spektrum but dealers choice... The Flysky is very good quality compared to what it cost...

Don’t buy a garbage transmitter. Get a Flysky Fs6i if you want a cheap one that actually works, you want the ability to easily set dual rates, expo and set switches. Those features will make flying a lot easier and enjoyable plus if they don’t like the hobby they will hold their second hand value better.
There’s ones available with a pre bound receiver for sensible money.

I know, I know... don't get a junk transmitter....sorry, haha. Ended up getting the black and orange 4ch radio from hobbyking. I have had no problems with them in the past and the cheaper initial cost helped get someone new into the hobby, even though they will likely replace it if they ever do a second build.

rcbif

Headsuprc is my go-to. Love that they give prop spec data on for the motors. Cheap shipping too.

Mortis

Well we finally got the Hobbyking order to go through... and thanks to you guys I found ended up ordering stuff for myself from grayson hobbys, hehehe :p.

I had a really tough time ordering from HK the first couple of times. None of my payment methods were accepted. I was finally able to order from them and haven't had any problems since. I was pretty frustrated with them at first as well.

As others have said, Banggood takes a really long time, but they've never screwed up any of my orders.

basslord1124

Master member
I had a really tough time ordering from HK the first couple of times. None of my payment methods were accepted. I was finally able to order from them and haven't had any problems since. I was pretty frustrated with them at first as well.

As others have said, Banggood takes a really long time, but they've never screwed up any of my orders.

The only time I ever had strange payment issues from HK was when I happened to use a prepaid gift card (got as a gift for bday or Christmas). I used it to order RC parts and HK refused to accept it for whatever reason...but I remember that same card worked fine at Headsup Hobby.

Kbat11700

I have ordered at HK sporadically over the past couple years. I have had all sorts of problems. But the price makes the hassle worth it