Help! Which 4S Battery for Turbo Timber

MadMech86

So I recently orderd an Eflite Turbo Timber and its going to be set up primarily as a float plane because I live on a lake. The manufacturer says it can use 2200-3200mah 3S or 4S. If anybody has any experience with this plane, I would really love to hear what your preferred 4S battery would be or any other tips for that matter. I've been considering Motion RC's Admiral Pro 2500mah 4S 50c battery. I'm looking for a balance of good flight times and a plane thats not overly heavy.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Which ever battery you choose, pay attention to the weight. Lower C battery’s tend to be a bit lighter than high C battery’s. With higher a capacity you may be able to to save a bit of weight by choosing a low C battery.

MadMech86

@Merv I didn’t realize a higher C rating weighed more. I went back to the Motion RC website and checked weights and it looks like the 2500mah 50c battery weighs 294g and the 3000mah 35c weighs 306g. That’s pretty dang close. Is there any advantage with going with the 50c over the 35c? Seems like a lot more mah for nearly the same weight.

Mad_Mechanic

@Merv I didn’t realize a higher C rating weighed more. I went back to the Motion RC website and checked weights and it looks like the 2500mah 50c battery weighs 294g and the 3000mah 35c weighs 306g. That’s pretty dang close. Is there any advantage with going with the 50c over the 35c? Seems like a lot more mah for nearly the same weight.

C rating basically tells you how hard you can push the battery at a constant rate of discharge and a burst or peak rate of discharge. Keep in mind that pushing a battery to it's burst discharge regularly or for extended periods will damage a battery.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The formula is MAH x C / 1000. So the 50C battery would be able to supply a few more amps 125 vs 105 for the 35C. Example 2500 x 50 / 1000 = 125

The question is do you need to draw 125 amps? I doubt it. You want your battery to be capable of supplying more amps than your ESC needs. If you have a 50 amp ESC then you would want a battery that can supply say 55-60 amps. No need for 100 amps. More amps will not hurt anything, just don’t need them.

I don’t know what your amp draw is, maybe a 20 or 25 C battery would be enough.

If the battery has 2 C ratings, use the lower one. The larger one is a peak rating, the draw for 10-15 seconds, the lower one is a constant draw rating.

Last edited:

MadMech86

Thanks for the input, and info on C ratings. I think I'm leaning towards the Admiral 3000mah 4S 35c battery. It seems like a few people over at RC Groups like that battery for the Turbo Timber.

TTE1

The ovonic 2200 mah 35c(176g)is ultra light battery with 77 amp burst flies great in my tte. Alot smaller than the golbat 4s 2200mah(250g)
20221117_171625.jpg