Which 6channel Spektrum?

Agame334

Hi all,
I want to get into rc and obviously need a Transmitter. Ive asked around and the answer I usually got was: 6 channel is what You want, if I were u id take Spektrum. But nobody could Tell me which of the tenthousand Spektrum 6 channel to take. Anybody have Tips I dont need the newest g3, but need something that will serve me longer than one or two season... Thanks fot Ur help in andvance!
The flying Agame334

FDS

Elite member
You don’t need to buy Spektrum, unless you plan to buy a ton of Horizon Hobby bind n fly planes or you want to buddybox with someone who has Spektrum then there are lots of excellent radios for under $100 new. Even if you want to fly DSMX models there are alternatives to buying Spektrum.
If you must have Spektrum, avoid the DXE, it’s awkward to set on the fly and has issues vs a second hand DX6i or similar. Used radios are perfectly good, my first TX was used and is still working great.
There’s a whole thread in transmitters here that is worth a read.
The main thing is not to rush buying one. Buy right and it can last you a long time, adapt with you as you grow in the hobby. Buy wrong and you will either outgrow it too fast or it will be harder to set up and cause you frustration.

Arcfyre

Elite member
If it HAS to be Spektrum, I'd say get the DX8e. It's about the same price as the 6 channel ones with some really nice extra features.

Otherwise, as FDS said, there are many other options that work just as well.

In my opinion the DX8e + LemonRX combo is really hard to beat.

FDS

Elite member
I would look for a second hand Spektrum, the DX6I is OK, there’s a few of those about second hand. What TX has your buddy got?
The down side is that other, newer Spektrum radios are going to be pricey vs some of the other options. They hold their value second hand fairly well.

FDS

Elite member
They are about €150-180 new. Don’t rush and buy the first one, tho that’s not a bad price.
Also if there is a club near you then members might have stuff spare that they will sell cheaper than eBay.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ok, so let me help you, because I've got Spektrum and have been really analyzing what some of the different ones do.

DX6i - older, discontinued model. Great radio as it supports DSM2 and DSMX, but does not offer diversity antennas (which provide a better signal to the receiver), and is limited to 10 models in memory. This will also allow buddy boxing, but you can only do wired buddy boxing with it.

DX6e - current "cheap" 6 channel Spektrum made by Spektrum. This, in my opinion, is the best, in production equivalent to the DX6i, except it has more features/bang for your buck. this one has the ability to store 250 models in memory, allows wired and wireless buddy boxing, also supports DSM2/DSMX frequencies. Still doesn't have diversity antennas, but it's cheaper than the DX6 G3 (Generation 3) radios.

DX6 - This is the bells and whistles version of the DX6 line. I started with a DX6 Gen 2, and it is an absolutely SOLID radio. It allows 250 models to be stored in memory, it has diversity antennas (one in the fixed antenna coming out of the top of the radio, the other in the "handle" on the back of the radio), wired/wireless trainer link, and my favorite feature - it has voices. Now, a lot of people aren't exactly sold on this, but I LOVE this feature. With the DX6i/DX6e radios, they have alarms for things like your countdown timer, or low battery on the transmitter, etc. The DX6 has a voice that will tell you, "60 seconds remaining", and can do countdowns for you when you start getting close to running out of time. It will also yell at you when you start the radio up and your throttle stick has been bumped, "Throttle High!" Some people don't find this as useful as I do, but for me, it's VERY useful - I don't have to look down at my radio to see the timer and see how much time I have left; I can hear it.

The DX8/i/e models follow pretty much the same format and upgrades; the only major differences between the 6 and the 8 are that the 6 uses 4 AA batteries to power it; the 8 uses a rechargeable battery, and 6 has only 6 channels available, while the 8 has 8 channels.

If you can, I would recommend staying away from the DX6i/DX8i models. The lack of diversity, and the limitation of only 10 models in memory (which gets filled up faster than you'd think!) are reason enough to skip over them, unless you're getting a radio that you KNOW has never been abused/dropped, and you're getting a bargain basement price.

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS

fdnyjery

Hi All I was just wondering... I have a DX6i and have it for a few years. I fly mostly scratch foamies and FT models. I have never gone over 4 channels but have not tried the new Lemon receivers. My question is 2 fold...Will the Lemon receivers work with spectrum transmitters and do you feel It's time foe me to Up grade my Transm..???Many thanks fdnyjery

Arcfyre

Elite member
Hi All I was just wondering... I have a DX6i and have it for a few years. I fly mostly scratch foamies and FT models. I have never gone over 4 channels but have not tried the new Lemon receivers. My question is 2 fold...Will the Lemon receivers work with spectrum transmitters and do you feel It's time foe me to Up grade my Transm..???Many thanks fdnyjery

It depends on which lemons and which TX you decide to buy. Lemons are available as DSM2 and DSMX models, with the DSM2 being the cheaper RXes. If you're just flying little foamies around and aren't interested in advanced features, stick to your current transmitter and pick up some cheap DSM2 lemons.

If you decide to upgrade, I can recommend the 8+ channel Spektrums for use with the gyro lemon RXes. For faster models, mighty minis, and flying wings, I have found the stablized LemonRX models to be worth every penny. The pairing with an 8 channel Spektrum is a particularly nice match because you can fine tune the gain settings on your airplane, or turn the gyro function on or off, while flying. This adds a huge amount of utility to an already great set of products.

FDS

Elite member
I have used both the DSM and DSMX lemons, both were excellent, bound well to both my DSMX trans and Jumper T12. The 9g micro one is superb value, the signal is really consistent too.

sprzout

Mentor
I have used both the DSM and DSMX lemons, both were excellent, bound well to both my DSMX trans and Jumper T12. The 9g micro one is superb value, the signal is really consistent too.

I'm going to tell you to spend the money on the DSMX Lemons. It's only a couple dollars more, for a better, more consistent signal. :) Even if it IS a foamie, it's still frustrating as anything to turn a plane into a lawn dart or get it stuck in a tree because of intermittent signal to the receiver...I'm sure FDS will agree. :)

FDS

Elite member
My personal radio doesn’t do DSM2, it’s running on my sons T12 which is more powerful than my radio. The DSMX ones in both my FT planes have never lost signal in my flying. DSMX is a better protocol anyway.
I like all the Lemon gear, I want one of their telemetry set ups on my next big build.
Glad experienced pilots agree with my greenhorn ideas.

Bricks

Master member
I do know that now I could never do without the voice alerts, I did not realize how good they are until I had one. If you do not mind a used transmitter as I have never bought a new one you can find some pretty good deals. I would go with at least the DX6 black Gen 2 one they are one heck of a radio and you can find them used for that $90- $140 mark. The Lemon receiver's have been rock solid for me also even the DSM2`s but I am more rural then many on here.

If you watch here https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-general-radio-equipment-fs-w-215/ you can get a good feel for what a good deal is and isn`t.

sprzout

Mentor
I do know that now I could never do without the voice alerts, I did not realize how good they are until I had one. If you do not mind a used transmitter as I have never bought a new one you can find some pretty good deals. I would go with at least the DX6 black Gen 2 one they are one heck of a radio and you can find them used for that $90- $140 mark. The Lemon receiver's have been rock solid for me also even the DSM2`s but I am more rural then many on here.

If you watch here https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-general-radio-equipment-fs-w-215/ you can get a good feel for what a good deal is and isn`t.

I replaced my DX6 with an ix12, which was fun; I've got an Australian accented female counting down the times for my radio (something that's part of the Android system in the radio; I'm not sure if Spektrum has anything like it for the other radios). It's overkill for the radio, and I don't like the slower load times when I turn on the radio, but the 12 channels were needed for some of the gliders and the P-38 I want to build.

Bricks

Master member
All of the newer DX series has voice alerts with the Australian voice,you do not have to use them if you do not want to. Your own voice alerts can be added with pretty much anything you want. One of our guys has a friend that constantly bugs him every time he is flying, he set up a switch when flicked it says...Do not bug me I am flying,,

,A few guys at our field have the IX12 and cold boot can be annoying at times it is a very hardy radio for what it can do.

IcedStorm777

I would go spektrum as i think they are the best but thats just me. I would reccomend the DX6E great radio with TONS of features and not a bad price

FDS

Elite member
Jumper t16. Up to 32 channels, colour screen, Open TX and multi protocol,fully DSMX/DSM2 compatible, with Hall Effect ball bearing gimbals, under $150…