Which Biplane?

RustySocket

What is your favorite FT biplane. I'm thinking of building a baby blender, se5 or a dr1 triplane.

I'm a seasoned RC flyer for many decades, but new to the world of foam board. Just wanted to try something different and I can build foam board while travelling in our RV as opposed to conventional stick built models.

Look forward to your comments and suggestions.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What is your favorite FT biplane. I'm thinking of building a baby blender, se5 or a dr1 triplane.

I'm a seasoned RC flyer for many decades, but new to the world of foam board. Just wanted to try something different and I can build foam board while travelling in our RV as opposed to conventional stick built models.

I am of course biased, but I think my Mini Scout Biplane is honestly the best flying plane on the FT forums. It can be built almost as quickly as the Mini Scout and is just super simple, but it flies so wonderfully.

Really, you ought to give it a shot. :)

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/mini-scout-biplane.76/

Marty72

Elite member
I am actually going to try the mini scout biplane soon but between the two choices you offered. The dr1 for me wins. mine flies superbly and is a great sight in the air. It makes me smile every time i fly it and is easily recognizable by others.
Did you add ailerons? I've never flown without ailerons, perhaps I should/would set up a plane before hand and get the experience. I'd love to build and keep a DR1 for occasionally flying, in great conditions. It's on my list for sure.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Did you add ailerons? I've never flown without ailerons, perhaps I should/would set up a plane before hand and get the experience. I'd love to build and keep a DR1 for occasionally flying, in great conditions. It's on my list for sure.
I set it up as 3ch. I moved the rudder control to my right stick so my brain thinks it is aileron :) it has more than enough turn response with the fairly top heavy three wings and a good sized rudder. I think I could roll it with the rudder if I get brave enough to try it. I took it out in fairly windy conditions a few weeks ago and it was rather exciting. Certainly don't do it like that on your first flight. but it managed it. I was glad for the extra power my prop and motor combo had that day :)

Marty72

Elite member
Yeah, that's how I would set up the 3 channel too but never done it. So you say it flies well for what it is? (I thought they were difficult to fly). To me, that's more like a model that you fly on special occasions (perfect conditions), not a daily flier. Did you use the F pack motor or something else? Are there plans for the mini scout bi plane or do folks just improvised?

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Yeah, that's how I would set up the 3 channel too but never done it. So you say it flies well for what it is? (I thought they were difficult to fly). To me, that's more like a model that you fly on special occasions (perfect conditions), not a daily flier. Did you use the F pack motor or something else? Are there plans for the mini scout bi plane or do folks just improvised?
I think there are plans somewhere for the mini scout biplane. I don't know where at the moment. I think the dr1 is an excellent flyer. it is easy to make it a bit tail heavy while building but I didn't have that trouble. just be aware where you are adding weight as you build it. I fly it with an fpack equivalent and a 6x3 prop with 3s battery and it is more power than you truely need but does have the power to get you out of trouble. my maiden flight take off was about a 6 inch roll then near vertical up 6 feet. I haven't flown the se5 but that is one I hear more people struggling with.

i'd build the dr1 because it is cool and fun and flies well or the mini scout biplane because of all the great things i have heard about its flying characteristics. i haven't built one but my mini scout standard is one of my most stable fliers and i would expect the bipe to be just as good.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

What size of biplane are you looking to do? Welcome to the forums BTW

mach1 rc

Master member

I really like @sundown57's mini scout biplane😃 welcome to the forums😃😃

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I dropped a link to the plans in my first post. Here it is again: :)

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/mini-scout-biplane.76/

@mach1 rc, no worries, man. We all know that @sundown57 wishes that HE was the who designed the Mini Scout Biplane! :LOL:

@ScratchBuildMast, that'd be cool if you did build one. I'd love to hear your opinion of the flight characteristics!

mach1 rc

Master member