Which FT Airplanes Go With These Electronics?

I have a few electronics packs of the same type put together, and I'm wondering which FT airplanes are compatible with them. Each electronics pack contains:
  • 1x 2200kv 342W Motor (weight: 50 grams)
  • 1x 30A ESC (with 5V/2A BEC)
  • 4x Micro Servos (9g/1.5kg/0.10sec)
  • 4x 50cm Servo Leads
  • 1x 6x4E Propeller
  • 1x 3-Axis Gyro
  • 1x 6-Channel Transmitter
  • 1x 6-Channel Receiver
  • 1x 11.1v 2200mah 35C LiPo Battery (weight: 164.42 grams)

I also have a 4-Ch Tx and a 9-Ch Tx available, although I'm not sure if any of the FT airplanes would use more than 6 channels without additional modifications. For now I'd just like to stick with the original designs.

I really like the variety offered by the FT models and would like to build as many as possible. I already have the FT Tiny Trainer and FT Versa with their own electronics on them, and would like to expand my fleet a bit more. Any ideas and/or recommendations?

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
That ESC might be too small for the motor. Pay close attention to your current draw.

That ESC might be too small for the motor. Pay close attention to your current draw.

Yes, this was a concern of mine before - some guys were saying I would need a 40A ESC. When I work out the math, however, theory states that I'll draw 30 amps if the motor is pulling 342W. I guess we'll see how reliable theory is... I'll know I'll be cutting it pretty close if I'm heavy on the throttle.

Jaxx

Keep in mind, your voltage will start off around 12.6,and drop from there.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
That battery might be a little big for a plane that would fly on that motor/prop combo. Maybe try a bloody wonder (stock, there is just enough room to fit a 2200mah inside) if you are up to flying one. I would think that if you handle the Versa well, the BW would not be an issue.

Let us know what airframe you choose and how that pack works out.

That battery might be a little big for a plane that would fly on that motor/prop combo. Maybe try a bloody wonder (stock, there is just enough room to fit a 2200mah inside) if you are up to flying one. I would think that if you handle the Versa well, the BW would not be an issue.

Let us know what airframe you choose and how that pack works out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to check out the Bloody Wonder and maybe order one up.

If the battery is too heavy, I suppose I could pop in one of the 2S batteries I have. 164 grams is a little brick. The 2S batteries I have weigh in at a mere 75 grams.

So the electronics pack outlined above will work with the FT-22, Versa Wing, and Bloody Wonder...
Is this accurate?
Any others that would likely be compatible?

Jaxx

The current draw may be higher with the 2S. Of course that will depend on the prop you use.

So... with an electronics pack that contains:
  • 1x 2200kv 342W Motor (weight: 50 grams)
  • 1x 30A ESC (with 5V/2A BEC)
  • 4x Micro Servos (9g/1.5kg/0.10sec)
  • 4x 50cm Servo Leads
  • 1x 6x4E Propeller
  • 1x 3-Axis Gyro
  • 1x 6-Channel Transmitter
  • 1x 6-Channel Receiver
  • 1x 11.1v 2200mah 35C LiPo Battery (weight: 164.42 grams)
I will be able to build and fly the:
  • Bloody Wonder
  • FT-22
  • Versa Wing
By changing out one component (either the battery or prop), I will be able to build and fly the:
  • FT-3D (use an 8x6 or 10x4.5/4.75 slow-fly prop)
  • Simple Storch (use an 8x6 or 10x4.5/4.75 slow-fly prop)
  • Mini-Scout (use a 800mah 2 cell or a 450mah 3 cell battery)

Last edited:

mesolost

Well the 6x4 prop i would NOT suggest using on the FT3D or Storch. I don't think it'll have enough reach beyond the fuselage to provide enough thrust. I'd get some 8x6 or 10x4.5/4.75 slow fly props. For your motor at 2200kv unless your lookin for a rocket, 8x5 or 9x5 should give you enough thrust for those airframes. Hobby King or E-Bay, you can find some rather cheap prop multi packs. With that as your only prop selection then, yeah, try one of the others first. Or, sorry but I love this guy, the FT Mini Scout but you will probably have to scale it up to at least 150% to handle the weight difference and may need a tail weight even after that. My mini scout runs great with 2300kv on 2 cells or 1500kv on 3 cells but it's not scaled at all. But I use either an 800mah 2 cell or a 450mah 3 cell. I have a friend nearby that runs a crazy high kv motor with a small 6xsomethin prop in a prop-in-slot jet so if that literally is the only equipment you could use for a plane then I'd look into one of those style planes.

Well the 6x4 prop i would NOT suggest using on the FT3D or Storch. I don't think it'll have enough reach beyond the fuselage to provide enough thrust. I'd get some 8x6 or 10x4.5/4.75 slow fly props. For your motor at 2200kv unless your lookin for a rocket, 8x5 or 9x5 should give you enough thrust for those airframes. Hobby King or E-Bay, you can find some rather cheap prop multi packs. With that as your only prop selection then, yeah, try one of the others first. Or, sorry but I love this guy, the FT Mini Scout but you will probably have to scale it up to at least 150% to handle the weight difference and may need a tail weight even after that. My mini scout runs great with 2300kv on 2 cells or 1500kv on 3 cells but it's not scaled at all. But I use either an 800mah 2 cell or a 450mah 3 cell. I have a friend nearby that runs a crazy high kv motor with a small 6xsomethin prop in a prop-in-slot jet so if that literally is the only equipment you could use for a plane then I'd look into one of those style planes.

Thanks - Amendment Made.

I very much appreciate your recommendations and you specifying what you are referring to - I often hear a lot about what will not work, but it's harder to get a answer as to what will. I'm going to check out what's available on E-Bay in terms of slow-fly props and see if I can find a pack that will ship for free. I'm thinking that I will have to get some smaller batteries for some of my other planes (they don't like 1300mah), so it shouldn't be too much of a problem picking up a 2S 800mah or a 3S 450mah.

I've seen you give solid advice time and time again, so if you have any more I'm always open to it. Thanks again.

That battery is fine on the bloody wonder and versa. I usually use a 2200 for the bloody wonder.

Awesome. I was considering putting one on my Versa, but then opted to get to know the plane a little better before doing so. Maybe it's time to give it a shot. The extra weight might help a bit in the wind.

mesolost

Well if you'd like I have 2 solid cheapskate electronics packages I can suggest. Best bet would be to get a matched motor prop setup then go from there. The high kv small prop setup is usually for jets. I'll put in what I started on for combos, both the mini setup and the flyer setup. And thanks you greatly for the compliment. ^_^ Probably hard to believe but I've only been flyin for almost 2 months now. =D But when I get into something, I get into it and I do my homework. Plus I love to help people so ^_^ heres some suggested combos that I know work quite well.

Mini's (300g and lower can be stretched to 400g with limited climb ability and high throttle)
battery- 12 min @ 50%, 10 min for safety- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17830
motor- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=38694
*hot glue the wires on the under side if you plan on crashing as much as I did
prop- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=38941
*I cannot break this prop! This prop will cause the motor to pull 8.3A @WOT (within spec)
ESC any 10A or larger, I'm currently running it with a 25A esc because i rewound mine HOT! (12.5A@50% throttle)

Larger setups (FT3D, and Storch tested! engine upgrade suggested from a friend that uses it with a 6x4 prop on a jet)
you already have the battery, mine is Turnigy 2200mah 3 cell
Motor-
originally used on FT3D (slightly under powered but still has some vertical ability)- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=28115
Upgraded motor used on my Storch- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34123
ESC- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=36903
*I intend on sticking to Turnigy plush ESC's so I can use only 1 programming card for all my planes, plan ahead!
Prop- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=65716
*originally used a different 10x4.5 but they break easy(1 flight each) these props have bounced a few times, haven't broke one yet

And your gonna want to grab these too- additional links to forgotten tid bits
xt-60 ESC side plugs- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=43759
3.5mm bullet connectors- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=47862
BARE MINIMUM MUST HAVE!- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=39148
that guy is the cheap-o route, better get this if you have a few more dollars
BETTER bare minimum- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=55206

So just pick Mini's, or big FT planes, grab a setup, and post some vids ^_^ Hope this helps you break the surly bonds of gravity for as long as you choose(or the battery drains out) =p May you have clear skies and soft landings. =D

P.S. If your just starting out, I'm a bit partial I think, try out the Mini scout. It can really take a beating ^_^ (ft store reviewed - it can't be stopped!) Plus it's easily modified to have ailerons and/or be a bi-plane!

Once again, you have provided a lot of helpful, specific information - stuff that I can use and know what to expect from. It's sounding like the FT-22 is the best fit for the electronics pack, but one guy only needs so many FT-22s. With the information you have provided, I'm confident that I can get the parts I need to make different configurations for a wide variety of different planes. I don't think I'll be ordering from HobbyKing until they acknowledge that Hawaii is a state (and stop charging ridiculous amounts for shipping), but that's not a big deal given how many hobby shops will provide me with free shipping. I'm definitely give the Scout a try - durability is always a good thing, and I like what you said about being able to modify it.

mesolost

Durability modifications for the scout- add spacers inside the fuselage at the trailing edge of the wings (this tends to be the first spot to crack on rough landings), servos tear the paper so glue 2 pieces of scrap foam together and then glue them between the servos to hold them stable, use a paper clip and bend it to fit into the trailing edge of the elevator to transfer the force to both sides more equally, and mount the servos a bit more forward than the plans specify. Also looking into some stuff I think your package would also work on a baby blender. Pro tip- If your worried about thrust to weight ratio for a limited electronics package consider removing all the paper from internal surfaces. ^_^

There are other jets out there too. RCGroups.com also has a wide selection of plans you can use as well although nearly all of them do not include build videos and/or detailed asyembly instructions so your still gonna have to turn to FliteTest for your assemply tips.

(Scout Bi-Plane maiden was uploaded earlier today, nephew was camera operator so sorry on the shakiness and i kinda broke my camera a little so there's no sound -.- pics of the first scout and pics of the 2nd scout with ailerons if your interested.... wheres that link.... http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...e-little-Scout-and-welcome-to-the-world-Zippy )

Did some more research and it looks like with the motor and prop configuration I have, I will be drawing about 21 amps from the 3S battery. Of course, this is all still untested theory.

I just received my FT-22 and Bloody Wonder kits, so I'll get to see how well this all works out very soon.