Which FT plane should I build next?

Which FT plane design should I build next?

• FT Racer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FT Guinea Pig

• FT Mustang

• Total voters

basslord1124

Master member
All right, getting close to the end of my FT Mini Scout build and I am wondering what should I tackle next. It's still cold here and been doing more building than flying. I have 2 speedbuild kits (Spitfire and Bushwacker) still in their packaging so they are fair game to begin next. Or I could start a scratchbuild of some kind. I compiled a list of a bunch of different ones that I would consider. So what do you think I should tackle next?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Bloody baron for sure, flies docile on low rates but on high rates, it rolls like a drill bit. It was my first successful scratchbuilt plane and it flew fantastic. If not, the arrow flies really well to, good luck ;).

Yawnsky24

Arrow is a great first scratch build and flies great. Edge is just awesome but if it's your first scratch build there are a LOT of cuts and scores. The Big Guinea Pig is a blast and I think everyone who flies should have one!

But whatever you decide, remember it is far from your last build!! This hobby is addictive!

Headbang

Master member
Looking for a challange? X-29! Need to think about a "light build" through every stage. It is more challanging to build then most FT designs. Challanging to launch. Requires you to re-think how you fly, no more chasing the plane, need to think ahead.

It is not too difficult, it was my second foam board plane. I used way too much glue, but still managed to maiden without breaking it.

basslord1124

Master member
I think Bloody Baron and Spitfire seem like a good set to go with at first. Might fit a wing in there too. I'll tell ya...my building skills are usually way ahead of my electronic purchasing skills. I may end up with 3-4 planes built, before I purchase electronics for the first build. I have an FT3D built in my garage but no electronics to put in it yet. :oops: Maybe after tax season, I'll go on a small electronics purchasing spree. And I really haven't built up my own decent stock of electronics gear. I got a decent little collection of servos but that's it. Sorry Josh, but I don't fully utilize the swappable power pod approach...was going to at one time but then decided to just get electronics for each plane.

As for jets, never tried jets either. I had thought of the F22 at one time. X-29...LOL, you're funny @Headbang :D:D:D:p Seriously though, it looks cool, but I bet she would be a challenge.

Headbang

Master member
I think Bloody Baron and Spitfire seem like a good set to go with at first. Might fit a wing in there too. I'll tell ya...my building skills are usually way ahead of my electronic purchasing skills. I may end up with 3-4 planes built, before I purchase electronics for the first build. I have an FT3D built in my garage but no electronics to put in it yet. :oops: Maybe after tax season, I'll go on a small electronics purchasing spree. And I really haven't built up my own decent stock of electronics gear. I got a decent little collection of servos but that's it. Sorry Josh, but I don't fully utilize the swappable power pod approach...was going to at one time but then decided to just get electronics for each plane.

As for jets, never tried jets either. I had thought of the F22 at one time. X-29...LOL, you're funny @Headbang :D:D:D:p Seriously though, it looks cool, but I bet she would be a challenge.

I have maidened a super heavy spitfire build, it is a solid plane. It flys like a warbird tho, slow rolls, not much of a looper. If you fly scale it is good, if you fly fast you have to think ahead.

No experience with a bloody baron, but looks like a stick. Should be fun and simple to build.

X-29 flys like a heavy warbird as well. Only down side is you really need a buddy to launch it safely. Build wise it was not too hard, but way more complicated then a spitfire.

Whatever you choose, the important thing is it is not beyond your patience level for build or flight.

OliverW

Legendary member
I voted the FT Bushwacker because it is probably going to be my next build and I want to see some one else build and fly it.
I built the bushwacker. It flew for about 30 seconds then it plopped into some bushes. We put 8 fishing weights in the nose, the cg said it was good. But when it flew it was tail heavy!!! Just try to balance it in the first 15% of the wing

Brett_N

I'd build the FT3D BEFORE jumping into the Edge.

You can build the 3D in an hour or 2 - the Edge is really complicated. But...

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?

STOL? Bushwacker.
High Speed pattern (racetracks)? The Spit, Racer or Mustang
3D? The FT3D

The guinea pig is fun.

How about a nutball? Don't knock 'em 'till you've flown 'em - they're a riot.
For a wing - the Arrow and Versa Wing are 2 of my favorites. I've got a big EDF powered Versa :)

Brett_N

Wait - BUILD 3 Bloody wonders, and find some friends to fly with...

Attachments

• 20190127_095318.jpg
    20190127_095318.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190127_095505.jpg
    20190127_095505.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I voted FT Edge. So you and mayan can challenge each other! :devilish: He needs a good challenge, and you're looking for one, so, yea. :love:
Just so it is clear, I am NOT in on this one. Honestly, I don't want to be. Mayan really wants to fly 3D and you listed the Edge as an option.

I want to fly crazy little planes in ridiculous ways. Mayan wants to take on the full 3D experience. I voted for you joining him and build that Edge! That's my vote. Build the Edge.

mayan

Legendary member
I voted FT Edge. So you and mayan can challenge each other! :devilish: He needs a good challenge, and you're looking for one, so, yea. :love:
Just so it is clear, I am NOT in on this one. Honestly, I don't want to be. Mayan really wants to fly 3D and you listed the Edge as an option.

I want to fly crazy little planes in ridiculous ways. Mayan wants to take on the full 3D experience. I voted for you joining him and build that Edge! That's my vote. Build the Edge.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mayan

Legendary member
Ok so I don’t know all the models but I do some. The Arrow and Versa Wing are both very easy scratch builds, with not a lot of pieces.
The Edge is a complicated scratch build because of the many pieces and score cuts that it has.

That’s my take both of these would be my next choices today.

basslord1124

Master member
The Edge is on my list anyways. Due to the complexity of the build, it's on my "take my sweet old time with it" list. :p