Help! Which FT Power Pack

Spud2369

Which FT Power Pack is recommended for giant planes made from FT Maker Foam Board? If there isn't one available yet, can anyone point me in the right direction to get the correct motor, ESC, servo and battery combination?

Spud2369

The Planes they talk about in the videos that say to increase the size of their plans to 185%. I don't remember the episode but on youtube there was a video of the FT guys flying a huge p-40 or p-47. I just want to know what electronics would be better to use with a large plane like that if they don't have a pack for them.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i'm a little curious about how scaling something 182% results in that kind of price increase.

most 100% scale can be flown off a C-pack motor which costs $16 ( EMAX-USA ), but now its $80 for a "monster." that's is 5 times the cost?

9G servos work in all 100% why the need for 42g @ 182%? thats a 4.5x increase in when we are only doing less than 200%?

the cost increase depending on how cheap you go on 9g servos, can be crazy. let's assume your not cheap and go $5 on metal gear, that is still a 500% increase. if you are like most and buy $2-3 servos that now upwards of 1200% increase. :eek:

i don't know. i'm gonna be building something big soon and maybe this will all start to make sense but right now i'm scratching my head.

laters,

me :cool:

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I was thinking about doubling up on the 9g servos for my monster build. As far as the motors go, compare emax to emax and ft to ft. The ft c pack radial is 1/3 the price of the monster radial. You can get an emax 4030 for only $30. That’s what I’m going to get cause I can’t afford the monster radial, but the ft esc’s are really decently priced u thought, although I may be able to knock the price down $10 on Amazon... I was just listing the stuff ft used in their vids since that is what was being asked about.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Bigger toys always need a deeper pocket...

I think of it like insurance. When I put more time, effort, and money into a build I tend to use better parts. When I build things for my kids to crash its the cheapest banggood has to offer but when I have something with a $300 camera on it I dont want it to fail because I cheaped out on an esc or servo.

As you go up in size the forces on your servos get much greater. With the price researching I've done it looks like you can put together a pretty respectable electronics package with low end Chinese gear but I'd still get some pretty hefty servos regardless of where you get them.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Bigger toys always need a deeper pocket...

I think of it like insurance. When I put more time, effort, and money into a build I tend to use better parts. When I build things for my kids to crash its the cheapest banggood has to offer but when I have something with a $300 camera on it I dont want it to fail because I cheaped out on an esc or servo.

As you go up in size the forces on your servos get much greater. With the price researching I've done it looks like you can put together a pretty respectable electronics package with low end Chinese gear but I'd still get some pretty hefty servos regardless of where you get them.
I just simply can't afford $25 a servo.

Wildthing

Legendary member

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You don't need one that big, I run the 9gr Hextronic (plastic gears) ones on almost everything no matter the size and if I am slightly worried I will use the Emax metal gear 9gr servos. If you need a little more grunt even Emax's 17gr servo will do the trick at $8.69 US.

https://emax-usa.com/emax-es3004-17...log-servo-for-rc-airplane-es3104-upgrade.html
Well I use the $1 off of eBay for most everything, but I was saying for the giant planes, I may need something bigger. Those 17g ones should do the trick though, thanks!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I just simply can't afford $25 a servo.
I hear ya there,

I'd think if one were just building a foam board plane, regardless of size, you could find a suitable electronics package from banggood or other Chinese retailer. I dont have a favorite off the top of my head but I know i've put some pretty hefty servos in my boys rc trucks that didn't cost more than 10 bucks.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I hear ya there,

I'd think if one were just building a foam board plane, regardless of size, you could find a suitable electronics package from banggood or other Chinese retailer. I dont have a favorite off the top of my head but I know i've put some pretty hefty servos in my boys rc trucks that didn't cost more than 10 bucks.
Ok, well that’s a lot better.