which motor?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Sorry can't view the links...

Regardless. Need more information :)
What kind of plane are you putting it into?
What kind of flying do you want to do?
How much does your plane weigh?

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
450 as in a heli? None of those motors are suitable for a 450 heli. If you mean for a multi rotor, then we need to know your frames weight, how many rotors, battery etc. etc.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Really need to understand what you want to do with it.

Do you already have plane that you want to put it on?

Are you building a scratch project that you want use one of these motors for?

I use a similar motor that you have listed in the first link for my Slow Sticks.
These motors would probably be suited for a slow flyer swinging a largish prop.
They would probably work well for something like a Fenix glider conversion or one of CrashTestHobby's trainers
http://crashtesthobby.com/products/albatross
http://crashtesthobby.com/products/pelican

I don't think any of these motors are equivalent to 450 size...

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I have used the 2822/14 1450KV in a MPX easystar with 6*6 prop and 3 cell Lipo .
Any of them are as good or better than a Speed 450 DC-motor but the 2830/11 1000 KV would have been my choice for a front mounted motor together with a 9*6 prop and 3 cell boosted to a 4 cell for lots of speed.

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I have used the 2822/14 1450KV in a MPX easystar with 6*6 prop and 3 cell Lipo .
Any of them are as good or better than a Speed 450 DC-motor but the 2830/11 1000 KV would have been my choice for a front mounted motor together with a 9*6 prop and 3 cell boosted to a 4 cell for lots of speed.

Agreed- I guess that's why I'm trying to understand what he's trying to accomplish :)

flyguy

Quad or tricopter, 3s 2200 30c lipo, just for fun for now. I don't want something I will have to upgrade later. 450 as in nazi 450 size

Manfet

Sorry if that sounds a little bit harsh. But in my opinion your level of understanding about the bits and pieces of multirotors are a bit too little to build a multirotor from scratch. In my opinion you should look after setups people have build and are flying with no problem like David Windestål's tricopter design. Yeah I know there are some parts which are backordered right now. But I would advise you to order them anyway. They will probably get in stock in the timeframe of the next 3-4 weeks and after another 2 weeks of shipping they will be at your place.
If you cannot accept that there are 3 possibilities. One is you look for other setups and look if all parts of them are in stock. Second option is you look after alternatives for each item. And third is you take much more money in your hands and buy a ready to fly multirotor.
Nobody can decide for you if you want to have a tri or a quad,
which dimensions the booms should be
and which design you want to have for template.
All that is important as is it does decide how much weight the multirotor will have when flying.
And thats a need to know if you look for the motors and props because they will have to lift this weight at a certain amount their power.

Hell I already fly my tricopter since some hours and have read much about them but it would still would not be easy for me to do a multirotor from scratch that has a good chance of being a good multirotor.
And all that needs hours of work looking for every part making calculations how the weight changes and if the fitting parts are in stock....
I don't think that anybody can do this for you in the near future. Because of that look out for already flying setups and build after them without changing many parts.

flyguy

thanks for your input but i didn't ask for anyone to build the thing. i asked which is a good overall motor for sport flying that i wouldn't need to upgrade later. i was hoping that someone had used one of these motors and had some feedback on them.

Last edited:

voipmonkey

now I have a little more experience building these things (quad and tri now) I can say it all comes down to what the guys are saying weight!
I have never used the motors you have linked to i have used the ones from David's blog on my tri copter and these seem ok. on my quad I have used 4 x E-Power BL2220/10 Brushless Outrunner Motors which I sourced locally but these can draw a bit of power so 30-40a ESC was required. These motors have loads of power (So much I keep breaking props from crashing :() but I guess all a voyage of discovery and experimentation.