Which one should i buy?

Rocking jazz

I am a begginer and i am looking to buy an easy to fly aerobatic or 3d plane
It should be crash resistant as i might crash a lot.
It should be around the 100-200 dollar range (i have my own transmitter and reciever but everything else should be included in the cost)

These are the planes that i am considering:
Hobbyking pitts special-

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ts_Special_Plug_n_Fly_4_Aileron_version_.html

Hobbyking yak 3d
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15302__YAK54_EPP_3D_Profile_KIT_35_4in_.html

If anyone has any suggestions or other plane options please write here
Any help will be Apreciated

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
How much experience do you have with RC planes? That is very important to a good answer.

The Yak would be the most crash resistant plane in any case.

lonewolf7717

EPP is your friend...and hobbyking has a TON of sub $100 profile 3d flyers in almost any flavor your desire. That pitts although nice, one unplanned bump with the ground and your flying day is almost guaranteed to be over....headed home for repairs. I am confused by your statement that you have your own TX but everything else should be included??? does that mean you want a PNF without having to buy servos, motor, so on and so forth? Why limit yourself like that right off the bat? Hobbyking has some great EPP 3d airframes that are kits or ARF but any extra parts you need are listed, so just order them all at one time and you will still come in under $100.

lonewolf7717

btw stay away from balsa as well for now.....EPP only....as you gain confidence you can move on to a epo or balsa model.

MrClean

You WILL crash a lot (might, ha! such a silly. Don't worry, with the right plane it can be kinda fun)
That pits is actually a compressed snowstorm just waiting for you to release it's inner flurry. Don't buy it. It's easier to repair then balsa but the repairs get even heavier way quicker.
The YAK is a fairly sturdy, EPP plane that will take some abuse and you will abuse it, probably more then you'd like. But more then likely the gear in it will be ok OR cheap enough to replace along with the plane.

Now, as for your experience. Does that mean you got a couple flights out of the Bix before it was it's own pile of foam and glue OR have you pretty much wrung it out, can put it where ever you want it and want something a little more active now. Be honest, your answers will greatly improve your enjoyment of this hobby. Soo many times I've had people tell me they know how to fly and want to buy that P-51 because the box says 'so easy to fly it would make a good trainer'. Boxes, can't trust em. Then I find out that they have set right seat in their buddies Cessna and got to move the wheel and pedals for a bit and they want their money back because this box full of freshly minted sticks-n-grass wasn't as easy as advertised on the box. As discouraging as I can sound I actually have had to knuckle under and sell the darn kit. Probably could have refused but it's a judgement call. Better then half came back, listened and bought the correct airplane and are still flying today. Others are playing with cars or boats or bought motorcycles and drive between bars on Wednesday nights.

The YAK, with the controls set down quite a bit, the cg a little forward of where a 3d pilot would want it and the correct mindset would probably make a decent enough 2nd airplane. Set up correctly it will turn around within a wing span and hit you in the head when you first let go of it. Be aware of that. In control line, it's know that the right combat plane, set up correctly, makes a really decent trainer. But set up another way and it does 4 foot loops at 120 mph. I'd just try to nudge you toward the first side of the equation.

So, if you can fly the Bixler fast and slow, park it where you want it and your ready to move on to your next airplane I'd go with the YAK and take it easy with it while your reflexes catch up. There is also nothing wrong with building some of the FT Swappable series airplanes like the bloody wonder or the f-22, even the baby blender PLUS there will be an extra coming up shortly that will be a good sport flying, beginning aerobatic plane. You'll need the motor, esc, receiver for your TX and some servos plus a couple bucks of foamboard and other stuff, but you will be flying at the next higher level an airplane that you can totally destroy and rebuild and only cost a couple bucks while you get the Yak in and get it assembled.

Back in the day, our planes were made out of balsa. Our radios were made out of CB Absorbium and the slightest look would make glue joints pop while someone checking on their good buddy would make the control surfaces flinch or just lock all the way over. We also had to pass the box around because there were not any training cords yet. You got it easy, soooo easy. And if you get the YAK you wouldn't believe how much nicer it looks then some of my first planes.

Rocking jazz

EPP is your friend...and hobbyking has a TON of sub $100 profile 3d flyers in almost any flavor your desire. That pitts although nice, one unplanned bump with the ground and your flying day is almost guaranteed to be over....headed home for repairs. I am confused by your statement that you have your own TX but everything else should be included??? does that mean you want a PNF without having to buy servos, motor, so on and so forth? Why limit yourself like that right off the bat? Hobbyking has some great EPP 3d airframes that are kits or ARF but any extra parts you need are listed, so just order them all at one time and you will still come in under $100.
No i meant the total cost and i know that the yak is arf and i can buy everything (servos,esc etc) separately.thanks

Rocking jazz

I have about 10-15 flights of the bixler and its still in great condition and i only crashed once (no damage)
But then the charger malfunctioned so i have ordered a new one.thanks for the answer i appreciate it :)

lonewolf7717

Also forgot to mention and keep in mind this is a matter of personal preference but what size plane you would like. I personally don't like micros, just too twitchy even on low rates and lots of expo plus you are stuck flying indoors if its breezy at all. I personally wouldnt go any smaller than 900mm....matter of fact think HK has a 1000mm profile 3d yak.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I am a begginer and i am looking to buy an easy to fly aerobatic or 3d plane
It should be crash resistant as i might crash a lot.
Buy both if you are flying to crash them - but better - crash on the simulator and get a good balsa plane to fly irl without crashing..