Which plane to choose???

jack10525

Yep that is the million dollar question. But let me explain a little first. I found flight test in probably early 2016. After a few months and many builds and crashes I finally learned to FLY!!!! Kinda!!! I've built at least 10 different FT planes from scratch and speed build probably 4-5 times each. I also bought at least 10-15 RTF/ATF. I have 2 planes in mind but am not sure if I want to build an FT kit or buy a foam kit (that will go together in 30 minutes). Here are my 2 choices. There is a pretty big difference in price for the store bought. If anyone has other suggestion on planes I am interested. I want to keep it at $200 or less.

FT Edge 540 ( I need a motor) but I have the other electronics

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...electric-airplane-kit-1016mm-flt-1058/p780803

HSDJETS Zazzy RC Sport Airplane

https://www.bananahobby.com/4-ch-hsd-zazzy-rc-sport-airplane-arf.html

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yep that is the million dollar question. But let me explain a little first. I found flight test in probably early 2016. After a few months and many builds and crashes I finally learned to FLY!!!! Kinda!!! I've built at least 10 different FT planes from scratch and speed build probably 4-5 times each. I also bought at least 10-15 RTF/ATF. I have 2 planes in mind but am not sure if I want to build an FT kit or buy a foam kit (that will go together in 30 minutes). Here are my 2 choices. There is a pretty big difference in price for the store bought. If anyone has other suggestion on planes I am interested. I want to keep it at $200 or less.

FT Edge 540 ( I need a motor) but I have the other electronics

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...electric-airplane-kit-1016mm-flt-1058/p780803

HSDJETS Zazzy RC Sport Airplane

https://www.bananahobby.com/4-ch-hsd-zazzy-rc-sport-airplane-arf.html
If you are a proficient builder and pilot then the EDGE should be top of the list! Also have a search of the forum as there are a few variations now available or in the pipeline. Including scaled down and even a TT version.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
The Edge is an amazing plane. I have one that is the original size and one that is a mini version. I must give you a heads up though the build is long but worth it. If you still don’t feel comfortable enough flying I’d wait a bit because it’s not an easy to control plane.

mayan

Legendary member
TT version
You mean this one?
655752F0-D62B-4B55-B5CA-FFC302392E65.jpeg

If so I still have to maiden it to make sure it flies well but it should be released to the forum members very soon.

jack10525

Thanks guys. I really want to give the Edge 540 a try. I think it will be the one I get. It's just I need to slow down on the build and not rush it. I always want to get out flying. Anyway I can always buy the other plane later.

Mayan, Can't wait for your 540 TT to be released. Looks like a cool little plane.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Ok I forgot to ask what motor is recommended for the Edge 540? FT has a few newer radial motors. Not sure what the difference is between these to except for slight KV difference and weight.

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-radial-2218b-1080kv-brushless-motor-flt-3036/p846362

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-radial-2212b-1050kv-brushless-motor-flt-3034/p846360
The 2218, the other one is smaller and wouldn’t have enough oomph. Good luck with your build, post some pictures too, this forum runs on pictures ;).

mayan

Legendary member
Just a tip for your build process with the edge. Take it slow very slow it’s not a hard build but a long one and over time you will lose focus. Stop, take a break and then continue. My first edge looked fine and flew fine even if things didn’t look as good as Andre’s Edge.

7A394394-FACB-45E7-B659-165D64F97ADD.jpeg

The only issue I had with it is taking it to the field since I have a small car which is why I built this.
B3F73FF4-0C58-4F7B-B492-82BA3CC428DA.jpeg

jack10525

Well I ended up buying the egde and the radial motor suggested by FT. It took 7 long days to arrive. What happened to faster shipping? It used to be 3-4 days tops. Anyway I got it during the week and had stuff to do so I had to wait till the weekend to start the build. Well I am missing foam pieces. Just my luck as always. At 1 min 40 secs into the build I need to find 2 rectangular pieces marked with an arrow. Nope not there. It looks like I got doubles of 2 different sheets. I'm also missing the wings. I am going to contact FT but are they going to believe me? I could be lying because I damage the parts. Then even if they do send the parts I have to wait and I am going out of town. I should have bought the other plane!!!

mayan

Legendary member
Well I ended up buying the egde and the radial motor suggested by FT. It took 7 long days to arrive. What happened to faster shipping? It used to be 3-4 days tops. Anyway I got it during the week and had stuff to do so I had to wait till the weekend to start the build. Well I am missing foam pieces. Just my luck as always. At 1 min 40 secs into the build I need to find 2 rectangular pieces marked with an arrow. Nope not there. It looks like I got doubles of 2 different sheets. I'm also missing the wings. I am going to contact FT but are they going to believe me? I could be lying because I damage the parts. Then even if they do send the parts I have to wait and I am going out of town. I should have bought the other plane!!!
I feel your fustration buddy, but trust me the Edge is a wonderfull plane and you wont regert it in the end, I can almost promise it a 100%.

jack10525

I'm sure it is a great plane. The build looks fun. So many little foam pieces that bring to life an amazing plane. Just wish mine came with all the parts. I'm missing about 1/2 the kit in my order. Still waiting to hear back from flite test.

mayan

Legendary member
I'm sure it is a great plane. The build looks fun. So many little foam pieces that bring to life an amazing plane. Just wish mine came with all the parts. I'm missing about 1/2 the kit in my order. Still waiting to hear back from flite test.
I am sure they'll get back to you soon enough. They are in the middle of a major move which is why it might be taking them longer to reply.