Help! which scratch build is compatible with my electronics

wa1996

This would be my first plane I'd fly. I want to do a scratch build as cheap as possible mostly to learn how to fly. I have BR2205 2300kV brushless motors that I originally bought for a quad-copter and I'd like to use them for my plane. I also have 3 blade 5x4.5 propellers and 14.8 V 1300mA-1800mA. The question is: What plane if any can I use these devices with?

I appreciate any suggestions

OliverW

Legendary member
This would be my first plane I'd fly. I want to do a scratch build as cheap as possible mostly to learn how to fly. I have BR2205 2300kV brushless motors that I originally bought for a quad-copter and I'd like to use them for my plane. I also have 3 blade 5x4.5 propellers and 14.8 V 1300mA-1800mA. The question is: What plane if any can I use these devices with?

I appreciate any suggestions
I would recommend a FT goblin for that setup

OliverW

Legendary member
Thanks for the recommendation, this seems to fit perfectly with my setup. However, after watching the fly videos, I'm a bit scared of how fast it flies.
Mine slowed down really well and could go really fast.

Flyer Sean

just about any wing with a 30in or so wing span will work with quad copter gear. You will need a way to get 5v to run the rx and servos. You can use a plane esc with a built in BEC or what I usually do is use a quad PDB that has a LC filter for the fpv gear. Just make sure its got a few amps on the 5v rail. The plane will be pretty heavy and fast on a 4s. Id sugest getting a helper to launch it for you the first few times.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It is the same motor found in the power pack F so it should be able to fly most of the mighty mini planes, but you may want to get an 850 mah 3-cell (11.1 v) lipo. A goblin is perfect for what you already have, but definitely a handful for a new flyer. You could do the Pietenpol or probably the best choice, the mini f-22, although you would probably need a counter-rotating propeller. Good luck and welcome!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
As long as I read correctly you did say you have more then one motor but only one 40 amp ESC... The Hangar is right it is an F pack equivalent but I'm thinkin you should go with a multi motor set up like the Mini Guinea or the Mini Cruiser. I'm not to sure about your current ESC set up for multi props whether you can run both motors from the one ESC, (you won't have any thrust differential, and will rely heavily on aileron/rudder authority for steering). Or just pick up a couple 20 amp ESC's to do the trick. I hear that multi prop planes are a little easier to fly because of the lack of torque roll you find with a single prop design, the 2 props counter rotate to cancel out torque issues. Sounds like you are a drone guy anyway so you might have a little insight into this.

Anybody tell me I'm wrong and you can disregard this suggestion. I wish I would have gone for a twin pack instead of the single lookin back now, so many more options open up with a twin set up. Welcome to the community and good luck

wa1996

As long as I read correctly you did say you have more then one motor but only one 40 amp ESC... The Hangar is right it is an F pack equivalent but I'm thinkin you should go with a multi motor set up like the Mini Guinea or the Mini Cruiser. I'm not to sure about your current ESC set up for multi props whether you can run both motors from the one ESC, (you won't have any thrust differential, and will rely heavily on aileron/rudder authority for steering). Or just pick up a couple 20 amp ESC's to do the trick. I hear that multi prop planes are a little easier to fly because of the lack of torque roll you find with a single prop design, the 2 props counter rotate to cancel out torque issues. Sounds like you are a drone guy anyway so you might have a little insight into this.

Anybody tell me I'm wrong and you can disregard this suggestion. I wish I would have gone for a twin pack instead of the single lookin back now, so many more options open up with a twin set up. Welcome to the community and good luck

Haha, I'm not a drone guy. I was making a drone, but had issues with the electronics and didn't want to continue with the drone anymore. I have 4 ESCs and 4 motors.

Do you think I could use those motors and the prop to fly the planes you suggested?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Haha, I'm not a drone guy. I was making a drone, but had issues with the electronics and didn't want to continue with the drone anymore. I have 4 ESCs and 4 motors.

Do you think I could use those motors and the prop to fly the planes you suggested?
Hell yea... actually I wish I had your problems bro. The cruiser would be a bit more on the sporty side for flight capabilities and the Mini Guinea would be more of your docile flyer to train on, both you could train on but you might like the MG better to begin with. Plus you could have fun with loading it up with water balloons to bomb people lol... JK.

What size of ESC's do you have, all 4 are 4 amp?

wa1996

Hell yea... actually I wish I had your problems bro. The cruiser would be a bit more on the sporty side for flight capabilities and the Mini Guinea would be more of your docile flyer to train on, both you could train on but you might like the MG better to begin with. Plus you could have fun with loading it up with water balloons to bomb people lol... JK.

What size of ESC's do you have, all 4 are 4 amp?

Water bomb is a great idea, I'll look into it.

My ESCs are 12 Amp

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Water bomb is a great idea, I'll look into it.

My ESCs are 12 Amp

12 amp seems kinda light to me, they might be ok. Use the props they recommend and it should be fine. the larger diameter higher pitch props draw more wattage and will overheat the ESC's. Or you could lean on the safe side and get a couple 20 amp units, they are cheap to buy

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I had that setup on a plane (it had 5x4x3 props though) and it needed a 30 amp esc. You should check out the specs for your electronics to see if your escs are good.