which size props are best for tri copters?

BradB111

i was just wondering what props would be best on a tricopter with arms 200mm long? i previously had 9x47 props and was wondering if anybody would be able to suggest a better alternative and if so, what differences would i notice with different size props?

thanks to anybody willing to help.
Brad.

Mustang7302

Prop size matters based on the KV of the motor, the wattage limit of the motor, and how much weight you're trying to put into the air. With <8" booms I assume you're running a fairly small and light-ish weight tricopter. The 9" props could have been just fine, or you might be able to get away with smaller 8" props.

The answer to the question is really in the context. Are you getting too much lift and it is hard to fly? or are you not getting enough lift? What motors and what cell count batteries are you running?

BradB111

Prop size matters based on the KV of the motor, the wattage limit of the motor, and how much weight you're trying to put into the air. With <8" booms I assume you're running a fairly small and light-ish weight tricopter. The 9" props could have been just fine, or you might be able to get away with smaller 8" props.

The answer to the question is really in the context. Are you getting too much lift and it is hard to fly? or are you not getting enough lift? What motors and what cell count batteries are you running?
i am running a 1100kv motor and a 3 cell 2200mah with 20 amp ESC's ... i seemed to be having virtually no problems in terms of lift but was wondering if a larger prop would provide more lift at a lower rpm therefore increasing flight time? im fairly new to multirotors so sorry if i seem inexperienced.

Last edited:

5 oclock charlie

thanks for that. helps me have a better idea about prop noise but I was wondering if flight time would be affected of how agile the craft is? or would I not notice a difference?

flight time is also a relative equation lol......generally larger props are more efficient which means longer flight times.- but the motors will not react as fast as a smaller prop. so the smaller prop will tend to be faster more agile, and the larger just the opposite(in general, there are always exceptions to this rule).
"i am running a 1100kv motor and a 3 cell 2200mah with 20 amp ESC's ... i seemed to be having virtually no problems in terms of lift but was wondering if a larger prop would provide more lift at a lower rpm therefore increasing flight time? im fairly new to multirotors so sorry if i seem inexperienced. "
a larger prop will provide more lift at lower rpm IF your not overloading the motors. i would guess your about spot on the the 9 incher for an 1100kv motor. feel free to try some 10x38 or 10x47- just make sure you check the motors and escs.
be carefull running them if you do and monitor your temps well. your getting close to the 20a limit on your escs without a doubt.

Last edited: