Which transmitter module?

Elm62

So back in the hobby after a long time and I have a turnigy 9x. I appears that there is limited receiver options for this radio. By that I mean plug and play.
So after reading till my eyes bleed about the Frsky module and the Orange RX module, (seems the most popular) I just want to know which has the better options when it comes to choosing receivers for whatever specific model I am flying.(mini rx. 8ch, 4ch etc)
I came from a Futaba 9c back in the day so 2.4 is new to me. By the way I do not care anything about telemetry, at all. Most of the posts go off on tangents concerning telemetry and the receiver questions seem to get left behind. I have made the turnigy module mod so I can remove it, the back light mod, and the OpenTX firmware mod too.

Any help for an old timer is very appreciated.

jtrops

So back in the hobby after a long time and I have a turnigy 9x. I appears that there is limited receiver options for this radio. By that I mean plug and play.
So after reading till my eyes bleed about the Frsky module and the Orange RX module, (seems the most popular) I just want to know which has the better options when it comes to choosing receivers for whatever specific model I am flying.(mini rx. 8ch, 4ch etc)
I came from a Futaba 9c back in the day so 2.4 is new to me. By the way I do not care anything about telemetry, at all. Most of the posts go off on tangents concerning telemetry and the receiver questions seem to get left behind. I have made the turnigy module mod so I can remove it, the back light mod, and the OpenTX firmware mod too.

Any help for an old timer is very appreciated.

I have an 9xr, which is really similar to your radio with all of the mods you've made.

I have an OrangeRX DSMX module that is flakey, and the signal drops out causing loss of control. Apparently it is a known problem; however I understand that the OrangRx receivers are pretty good.

I went to a 4 in 1 multi-protocol module, and it has been great. I've bound it to Spektrum (DSMX, and DSM2), Flysky (AFHDS, and AFHDS2a), and a few different chinese protocols (hisky, bafang, hubsan) with no problems. I haven't had any signal drops, and the range seems to have been fine (I haven't done any kind of test, and haven't pushed it beyond line of sight with small planes/quads).

So, if range is important you may want to get more feedback about this module, but it sure is nice to be able to bind to just about anything.