Bricks

Master member
I feel your pain I tried Open Transmitter and could not get the hang of it many do but I am not one of them..

leaded50

Legendary member
i like the Flysky i6S much, sad enough no trimmers by gimbals, so the reiable i6 used on first flights for control on setup/adjustments, before adjusted for use the i6S

CustomRCMods

Elite member
I just switched away from spektrum, people will hate me for it but it was the best decision ever. Picked up a RadioMaster TX16S. It it better than the DX6 in almost every way, and 100 bucks cheaper, even for the upgraded version. For all you spektrum fanboys, I was one of you, I have been using their equipment for over 10 years... but this really changes the game. I’ve got crossfire for my quads, Spektrum DSMX for my planes, and a whole host of toy grade protocols for anything else, not even to mention compatibility with other big names like futaba, FrSky, FlySky, etc. You also can’t forget to factor in the 4.3” color touchscreen, and the openTX interface that has become a staple in the hobby today. all that with 16 channels and the MP module is one heck of a deal. Even the range is better than my DX6. I had constant dropouts due to rf interference from the cell tower at my field, now I have had zero issues, not even one little micro failsafe. Check out my YT channel if you are interested in the TX16s, made some good comparison videos.
CA1850FE-1080-4BA4-82F7-D1998D9389BE.jpeg

OliverW

Legendary member
In my opinion, the radio master is not a horrible transmitter. It's great for quads and parkflyers, but once you get up to the big birds, the newer futaba radios, and any spektrum radio aside from the DXE or the DX5 are the most reliable. There's a bit of risk when using a radio master for something this big, and its not worth it to me.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I realize there is a whole mess of [my preferred brand is best]... but I am curious, has there been any well done (preferably double blind... but that is unlikely because of the hardware differences) connection stability tests? My experiences with my DX6e vs my Son's Flysky FS-i6X was that the only situation were he had issues that I didn't was when we didn't get his receiver antennas setup correctly (at appropriate 90deg angles from each other) and he was pointing his TX directly at his model (so the weakest TX direction matching up with the weakest RX direction)...

Either case, once we set him up correctly, I would be worried about loosing VLOS aditiude before signal on anything that we have been flying.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
In my opinion, the radio master is not a horrible transmitter. It's great for quads and parkflyers, but once you get up to the big birds, the newer futaba radios, and any spektrum radio aside from the DXE or the DX5 are the most reliable. There's a bit of risk when using a radio master for something this big, and its not worth it to me.

I would have to disagree, maybe even say neither would be the best option for the bigger birds. Like I said I have had both, and My Spektrum DX6 would have brown outs rather regularly at my field, even with a genuine DSMX RX. This was likely due to the 2.4ghz interference off the cell tower in the corner of the field. However, I am yet to have an issue or even a micro failsafe with the RM TX16S, I'm not sure what the difference is in the TX Modules, but I agree that the Genuine DSMX TX Should theoretically provide better range, but thats not the case in my experience. The best all around option if you want my opinion is probably a 900mhz System like the FRSKY R9M or the TBS Crossfire. Seems a little different but the range is insane and the latency is low, so what's not to like? I'd go there if I do anything more than basic parkflyer stuff, but for now the TX16s Internal RF Module is working flawlessly!

OliverW

Legendary member
I would have to disagree, maybe even say neither would be the best option for the bigger birds. Like I said I have had both, and My Spektrum DX6 would have brown outs rather regularly at my field, even with a genuine DSMX RX. This was likely due to the 2.4ghz interference off the cell tower in the corner of the field. However, I am yet to have an issue or even a micro failsafe with the RM TX16S, I'm not sure what the difference is in the TX Modules, but I agree that the Genuine DSMX TX Should theoretically provide better range, but thats not the case in my experience. The best all around option if you want my opinion is probably a 900mhz System like the FRSKY R9M or the TBS Crossfire. Seems a little different but the range is insane and the latency is low, so what's not to like? I'd go there if I do anything more than basic parkflyer stuff, but for now the TX16s Internal RF Module is working flawlessly!
I would personally stay away from taranis or FRsky for the big birds. I keep watching people in my club have lockouts on those setups

Bricks

Master member
There were issues with the Gen1 DX6 as they only had one antenna and if you pointed the antenna at the plane could cause issues, the Gen 2 and on had 2 antennas at 90 degrees to each other. My first DX 6 Gen 1 also an Rf deck issue that Spektrum ( thank you Spektrum ) fixed for free, even thou I bought the radio used.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
I would personally stay away from taranis or FRsky for the big birds. I keep watching people in my club have lockouts on those setups
Well the R9M setup is a 900mhz system, so by nature it is for longer range and lower latency (Same with the crossfire) So that is out of the league of the traditional FrSky 2.4ghz protocol. And Ihdk its kinda on a case by case basis, as you may know the general consensus in the FPV community is that FrSky 2.4 beats DSMX 2.4 all day, but looks like its the other way around in your experience. It may come down to antenna placement and flying location, but I guess its whatever works. I just went flying again tonight and my TX16S handled the range flawlessly, even running a lemonRX system, the plane was a little dot very far away with no dropouts.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
There were issues with the Gen1 DX6 as they only had one antenna and if you pointed the antenna at the plane could cause issues, the Gen 2 and on had 2 antennas at 90 degrees to each other. My first DX 6 Gen 1 also an Rf deck issue that Spektrum ( thank you Spektrum ) fixed for free, even thou I bought the radio used.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I had the DX6 Gen 3, which didn't have any of those issues, a high tier spektrum system in terms of the antenna quality, only thing bringing the price down was the # of channels and switches. Before that I had the DX6E, which was even worse as you might imagine with the single antenna. Either way, as much as I didn't want to believe it the TX16s' internal Multi Module has outperformed both of my Previous Genuine Spektrum Systems. I am as surprised as you all are, but the facts are there.

whackflyer

Master member
I have had a positive experience with both Spektrum and Jumper (Jumper and RadioMaster are pretty much the same thing). I got my old DX6 G2 used, and like @Bricks I had a RF deck issue with it. Spektrum fixed it for free. I now have a Jumper T16 Pro as my main radio, and I love it. Way cheaper then a DX6, 10 more channels, any protocol that I would ever want to fly on is at my fingertips, and it's got a massive screen and waaaay more capability then the Spek. To me, Spektrum is great for beginners and experienced pilots alike. It's simple, easily programmable, and has very good customer service, but it's pricey. Jumper is fairly hard to learn, and you won't like it unless you're the type that's not scared to dig into research and simpler programming. So overall, Spek is simple to use and has great CS, while being expensive. Jumper is very flexible, you can program anything you want about it, and it's affordable. However I can't speak for their CS since I haven't had any problems with mine. The choice is yours, they're both great radios.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@whackflyer - a couple of weeks ago I added a second MPM and now I have my old FS16s wireless connected to the T16 as a trainer (one MPM is the Tx to the plane and one MPM is an onboard Rx) - so awesome and in theory you could be hundreds of meters away from each other!

whackflyer

Master member
@whackflyer - a couple of weeks ago I added a second MPM and now I have my old FS16s wireless connected to the T16 as a trainer (one MPM is the Tx to the plane and one MPM is an onboard Rx) - so awesome and in theory you could be hundreds of meters away from each other!
That's really cool! You have the old T16 Pro if I remember right?

bracesport

Legendary member
I have the non-hall early T16 - I really like OTX - I might get a FRsky X-lite at some stage - small and very cool!

EDIT: Jumper and Radiomaster are releasing small OTX Tx's, so I will probably go down that path.

Last edited:

rcplease

I have an old Futaba 6 channel radio that I have not used in years.

I am going to get back into flying planes, helis, drones....

What would you recommend I buy right now? I'm pretty out of the loop. I read through this thread, but some of the info is a few years old, and things are changing so fast.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If you are based in the US, just want to fly, and don't like learning from youtube and spending time tinkering with settings, I'd recommend something in the Spektrum family.

If you enjoy learning and tinkering with stuff just as much as flying, love flexibility and are just fine with researching questions online and learning from youtube, go for one of the radios that run OpenTX. These days I'd recommend either Jumper or Radiomaster.

I recommend staying away from FrSky now and won't buy anymore of their equipment myself (even though I own 4 of their older radios). With the new ACCESS encrypted communication protocol they are heading down the "you must buy receivers from us and nobody else because our encryption locks you in path" - sort of like the Keurig coffee maker that would only use their own coffee cups and no competitors or generics.