rcplease

If you are based in the US, just want to fly, and don't like learning from youtube and spending time tinkering with settings, I'd recommend something in the Spektrum family.

If you enjoy learning and tinkering with stuff just as much as flying, love flexibility and are just fine with researching questions online and learning from youtube, go for one of the radios that run OpenTX. These days I'd recommend either Jumper or Radiomaster.

I recommend staying away from FrSky now and won't buy anymore of their equipment myself (even though I own 4 of their older radios). With the new ACCESS encrypted communication protocol they are heading down the "you must buy receivers from us and nobody else because our encryption locks you in path" - sort of like the Keurig coffee maker that would only use their own coffee cups and no competitors or generics.

Thank you!

Looking at these now. The TX16s looks great.

Just to be clear, since it is opentx, I would be able to bind it to a plane with a dsm2 6 ch um as3x rx bl-ese receiver?

I received a plane and the recommended transmitter is dsm2/dsmx. Just want to know if I would be able to fly it with an opentx transmitter like tx16s.

JClaude

Thank you!

Looking at these now. The TX16s looks great.

Just to be clear, since it is opentx, I would be able to bind it to a plane with a dsm2 6 ch um as3x rx bl-ese receiver?

I received a plane and the recommended transmitter is dsm2/dsmx. Just want to know if I would be able to fly it with an opentx transmitter like tx16s.

Hi, the TX16s radiomaster is the best radio I have bought in a long time. it is capable of handling a lot of different protocols ... To answer your question clearly, watch the video below.

JClaude

No, it's not my video. Before buy this radio I seen a lot of video like that, to be sure I can use it with a lot of different receivers.
Now I can say that this radio, under OpenTX, with multiprotocal internal RF, is very powerfull! Also, his price is really sheep.
Another youbube video for you...

rcplease

No, it's not my video. Before buy this radio I seen a lot of video like that, to be sure I can use it with a lot of different receivers.
Now I can say that this radio, under OpenTX, with multiprotocal internal RF, is very powerfull! Also, his price is really sheep.
Another youbube video for you...

Price is.... steep? You wrote "sheep".

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
My first two planes were RTF's that came with Tactic radios. I've been using Tactics now for over 3 years, with my wife gifting me the TTX-660 Tx for Father's Day a couple of years ago. I've had no issues with the Tactics, and for a reasonably priced radio system (6 channel Rx is $25 -$30 USD), I've been pretty happy with them. Battery life on the TTX-660 is respectable, on 4 'AAA' batteries, and the display shows the current voltage level of the Tx batteries (it's nice to notice when it's getting towards the low side, and change them before it alerts of low voltage in the middle of a flight). The TTX-660 has multiple model memory, and one of the features is a programmable timer that can be tied to any one of the channel controls. I set the timer for a reasonable flight time, with enough "buffer" left on the flight battery for one or two go-arounds (or to linger a little if someone else is on the runway).

That said, looking at various vendor websites, it looks like Horizon is slowly phasing out the Tactic line. The assortment of both transmitters and receivers has shrunk, and it appears no RTF planes come equipped with Tactic radios any longer. I'm seriously considering picking up a Spektrum NX-8 a little later this year, to both open up my options on BNF planes, and against a possible complete discontinuation of the Tactic line.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
ok so i am looking at an opentx radio... (i don't mind programming)
the radio master tx18 and tx 16 look amazing...
which one would you suggest?
seems to me the main difference is the number of channels it can take

Bricks

Master member
Not an answer to your question but I am a Spektrum guy and only considering going to Radiomaster is the bigger screen size as I have gotten older tough to read my DX9 screen. Next problem is finding one to purchase at least for me as I am looking at the Max version a little vanity going on as just a cooler looking transmitter.

Aviador

I’m looking at switching radios.. right now I have Futaba and their receivers are so expensive😶 What are the differences between the Radiomaster tx12 and tx16s other than having 4 less channels? 12 seems like all I’ll ever need. If I was to go with the t16s are the hall gimbals worth the extra $30?

whackflyer

Master member
I’m looking at switching radios.. right now I have Futaba and their receivers are so expensive😶 What are the differences between the Radiomaster tx12 and tx16s other than having 4 less channels? 12 seems like all I’ll ever need. If I was to go with the t16s are the hall gimbals worth the extra $30?
The TX12 is much smaller and feels like a toy some people say. It's not color screen and doesn't support as many protocols as the 16. I don't think it has as many switches and I don't think it has voice alerts or haptics but I could be wrong.

Homey

Elite member
I
I bought the TX16s two months ago. Love it. Mine came with Hall gimbals. Super smooth.
Fully customizable as well. I have my own intro flash screen with custom voice over. You can also charge your battery in the radio on the bottom C port. The top C port accesses the included micro SD where you keep all model shots, custom flash screens and custom audio. The storage foam case is great quality as well and has room for the strap and USB cables. Well. Worth. The. Money.

Peter

Homey

Elite member
I
I bought the TX16s two months ago. Love it. Mine came with Hall gimbals. Super smooth.
Fully customizable as well. I have my own intro flash screen with custom voice over. You can also charge your battery in the radio on the bottom C port. The top C port accesses the included micro SD where you keep all model shots, custom flash screens and custom audio. The storage foam case is great quality as well and has room for the strap and USB cables. Well. Worth. The. Money.

Peter
Should also add it is multi- protocol and that was the closer for me!

Bifi.baarlo

hey guys has anyone had any experience with a Hitec Optic 6 sport?
I have no expierence with it, but I readed the specs, only 10 model memory, you have more than 10 models?
Also it uses a specific protocol, if you later want another brand transmitter, than you have to buy new receivers too.
I should go for a multiprotocol transmitter, they are also cheaper than this radio and they have more functions and channels.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
My first two planes were RTF's that came with Tactic radios. I've been using Tactics now for over 3 years, with my wife gifting me the TTX-660 Tx for Father's Day a couple of years ago. I've had no issues with the Tactics, and for a reasonably priced radio system (6 channel Rx is $25 -$30 USD), I've been pretty happy with them. Battery life on the TTX-660 is respectable, on 4 'AAA' batteries, and the display shows the current voltage level of the Tx batteries (it's nice to notice when it's getting towards the low side, and change them before it alerts of low voltage in the middle of a flight). The TTX-660 has multiple model memory, and one of the features is a programmable timer that can be tied to any one of the channel controls. I set the timer for a reasonable flight time, with enough "buffer" left on the flight battery for one or two go-arounds (or to linger a little if someone else is on the runway).

That said, looking at various vendor websites, it looks like Horizon is slowly phasing out the Tactic line. The assortment of both transmitters and receivers has shrunk, and it appears no RTF planes come equipped with Tactic radios any longer. I'm seriously considering picking up a Spektrum NX-8 a little later this year, to both open up my options on BNF planes, and against a possible complete discontinuation of the Tactic line.

That was my dad’s biggest issue with Tactic when he first started out - it looked like it was getting phased out. He couldn’t find receivers for it at the local hobby shops; they were all carrying FrSky or Spektrum receivers because that’s what most people here in the area were flying with. He made the decision to switch to Spektrum after finding that 1) nearly everyone at the field was flying with Spektrum and could help him if he needed assistance configuring his radio, and 2) he could get the Spektrum receivers when he walked in to the hobby shop without having to try a “special order” or hunting for them online and finding they were out of stock.

Tactic may not be a bad radio and may have good features, but if you can’t get receivers for it or BNFs to fly, its days are numbered in my book.

Hoomi

Master member
I bought the Spektrum NX8, and currently have three planes and the Blade 230S V2 Heli on it. One of the planes I have on the NX8 is the BFG2600 I picked up from the club after it was donated by the widow of a club member that had passed away. It had a Spektrum compatible receiver installed, and I was able to bind it just fine to the NX8. So far, that's the only plane I've actually flown on the NX8. One of the others is the old HK Parkjet I grabbed at the AMA Expo West in 2019, and I just need to finish fine-tuning the build. The other is my Freewing Rebel, and before I try to fly it, I need to make sure I have everything set up correctly.

The time I tried to fly the heli so far, I didn't have the AS3X activated right, and as a very novice heli pilot, I was having lots of problems just getting it in the air and hovering. I've since rebound the Rx so that the stabilization is active and SAFE mode will work, but haven't been back out to the field to give it a try again.

UzizAmun

Just getting back in. Want to get a new heli. Found out my DX6i wasn't quite stored right and broke one switch and the right stick doesn't seem to respond to inputs. Thought it was servo replaced and the same tried some older Co axial same thing. But needless to say was going to say my dx6i was my best first radio. Picked it up for say 139.99. Easy-ish to program with numbers from manual or YouTube. But I think I will buy another RTF and then buy a DX8e. It was much better than all my RTFs or Walkers.

UzizAmun

I bought the Spektrum NX8, and currently have three planes and the Blade 230S V2 Heli on it. One of the planes I have on the NX8 is the BFG2600 I picked up from the club after it was donated by the widow of a club member that had passed away. It had a Spektrum compatible receiver installed, and I was able to bind it just fine to the NX8. So far, that's the only plane I've actually flown on the NX8. One of the others is the old HK Parkjet I grabbed at the AMA Expo West in 2019, and I just need to finish fine-tuning the build. The other is my Freewing Rebel, and before I try to fly it, I need to make sure I have everything set up correctly.

The time I tried to fly the heli so far, I didn't have the AS3X activated right, and as a very novice heli pilot, I was having lots of problems just getting it in the air and hovering. I've since rebound the Rx so that the stabilization is active and SAFE mode will work, but haven't been back out to the field to give it a try again.
I had the cx2, nano cp, msr, msxr x2, and 200s. All did good with the dx6i just needed some modification in numbers.