Which Tricopter???

Phil Rosa-Leeke

I know that the lads at Flite Test sell their own version of a Tricopter, so this might sound a tad cheeky, but then again, the Fortis one is advertised on their site and David Windestål is part of their crew.

So, with that in mind, which Tricopter out of the following 3 would you go for?

• Fortis Titan Tricopter
  • Turnigy Talon Tricopter (V1.0) Carbon Fiber Frame
  • David Windestål’s Tricopter V3 kit

Thanks in advance,

Phil

helinor

Well, the Talon has some "cheesy" motor mounts that bends easily on impact. The rear tilt mechanism is also not good without modifying.

The titan looks almost as Davids V3 so I think I would go with his...

Phil Rosa-Leeke

Well, the Talon has some "cheesy" motor mounts that bends easily on impact. The rear tilt mechanism is also not good without modifying.

The titan looks almost as Davids V3 so I think I would go with his...

Thanks for that Helinor. I will be honest, David's V3 is the one that is grabbing my attention the most.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Since I'm learning, I went with the electrohub, which is great. Easy to build and the power distribution board makes it easy to solder the escs, leds, etc. I'm using the old tilt mount, but know that ft have a new tough mount coming out, and David's 3d printed mount works too. Once David wraps up with dr1, and I've learned to fly the tricopter, I can foresee the V3 tricopter in my hands sometime next year.

Last edited:

Gothikon

I've built a fortis titan and David's V3.

The Titan is larger (even if you don't opt for the longer booms) due to the design of the camera/battery tray, height of the landing gear and it has a cover over the flight controller. The Titan is also more suited to carrying a separate board camera and GoPro.

David's Tricopter is more compact, has a fantastic, and more importantly, idiot proof tilt mechanism. It's quite a lot smaller and has much higher quality carbon booms. There's no out of the box solution for carrying two cameras, although it wouldn't take a lot of DIY skills to come up with a solution.

I'd get the Titan if you plan on longer FPV flights (I don't trust a GoPro as long range camera). I'd get David's V3 for shorter or non FPV flights or if you want something as compact as possible.

The Titan with David's tilt mechanism is a nice hybrid, I just wish David also sold longer carbon booms.