White Diamond revealed! - single sheet DTFB flier

L Edge

Master member
JGplanes--You now can say the "White Diamond" goes well using a cheap 64 mm EDF's. I have about 6 flights behind me exploring the TV nozzle. Had about a 3-5mph wind and I was able to windsurf in front of me. Also I flipped it in about 3 plane lengths and tried some flat spins. Don't know its limits yet, but thank you for permission to explore a new area. Now have 2 versions to play with.

JGplanes

What "cheap" EDF units are you using, and what's the cost. I only have a few since they're normally out of my budget.

jfaleo1

What "cheap" EDF units are you using, and what's the cost. I only have a few since they're normally out of my budget.
The 50mm I used is the 3s version from hobby king. But I have some cheap 64s and 70s from aliexpress and Banggood. 64s can go under $30 even on amazon. Or motion rc

L Edge

Master member
One of the first in EDF's was Hobby Lobby store (long since closed) and they had 5 bladed 64 mmEDF's that actually had thrust with 1300 lipo and made the models move out. Long story short, few were bought by others and ended up purchasing 12 unit fans, 6 replacement blade units and 5 motors for $150. Now 64's use 4s 2100 lipo which are heavier.

Here is my 64 mm trainer design and doing vertical takeoffs( a twig is holding it up) and doing 2 touch and go's on a short landing strip. A 5 blader!!!!!!!!!

JGplanes

Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep my eyes open for good deals. I'm working on my first scratch built EDF now, so we'll see how it goes.

L Edge

Master member
Today was a day that was very gusty and windy going from about 4.2 to 13.8mph(using my windsurfing meter) and the winds would shift 90 degrees in an instant (front going thru) and then change again and again inside the field protected by trees causing some mean pertabations.

I have been flying many moons and I know most of my models would be damaged/destroyed in these conditions. Not this one, it was controllable beyond my expectation. It would flip, turn or roll (kept it up at about 40-50 ft high) and it always righted itself (due to 20 degree dihedral) and kicking the rudder in always go me back under control. So after 4 flights each about 8 mins, walked away with no damage, so this plane now is my go to airplane.

LGplanes, you have got a winner with this bird. It is nice to see some new innovated design.

JGplanes

Ok, I've been messing around with several updates to the design, and a possible v2. However, the most fun thing I've experimented with so far is FPV racing. I put a micro FPV camera from an old tiny whoop on it, and started pylon racing around the local schools parking lot. It is incredible! I'm not sure if anyone else has tried FPV, but it reminds me of a winged tiny whoop. I'm now working on a 3D printed racing power "pod" that can be snapped/zip tied onto the wing, and has everything but the control horns integrated into it. Hopefully It will have LED tail lights eventually too.

Diamond_Powerpod_Large_2019-Sep-09_08-49-57PM-000_CustomizedView34736795080.png

Let me know what your experience has been or if you've tried FPV.

JG

jfaleo1

Ok, I've been messing around with several updates to the design, and a possible v2. However, the most fun thing I've experimented with so far is FPV racing. I put a micro FPV camera from an old tiny whoop on it, and started pylon racing around the local schools parking lot. It is incredible! I'm not sure if anyone else has tried FPV, but it reminds me of a winged tiny whoop. I'm now working on a 3D printed racing power "pod" that can be snapped/zip tied onto the wing, and has everything but the control horns integrated into it. Hopefully It will have LED tail lights eventually too.

View attachment 142086

JG

Cool platform for FPV, not my thing right now but love the pod fuselage idea, and look forward to your refined design 👍🏻

L Edge

Master member

View attachment 142086

JG

got any video?

JGplanes

got any video?

Yep, but it's either enjoy the good weather while we have it, or do video editing. I'll try and post something if I get the FPV pod up and running. The first print turned out pretty good as a prototype, but I haven't had time to try installing anything. Also, I destroyed the firewall on my current setup from flying so low I was prop dragging during my FPV session tonight. Yes... I have video. Fortunately I wasn't under the goggles when the firewall gave out!

jfaleo1

Yep, but it's either enjoy the good weather while we have it, or do video editing. I'll try and post something if I get the FPV pod up and running. The first print turned out pretty good as a prototype, but I haven't had time to try installing anything. Also, I destroyed the firewall on my current setup from flying so low I was prop dragging during my FPV session tonight. Yes... I have video. Fortunately I wasn't under the goggles when the firewall gave out!

Well, It may be my thing now. Goggles, cams, Tx(s) are all on order now thanks a lot, hope you plan to offer the pod on your store since I am not buying 3D printer right now....

JGplanes

Well, I think I'm going to have to rebuild the wing I crashed, but the prototype powerpod turned out better than I expected. I had an idea for a printable skin. :p It shouldn't be that hard to skin the lower surface since it's all flat smooth. I'll probably just end up printing out the entire plans, and using some Super 44 to adhere it straight to the foam board before cutting it out. Let me know what you think, or if you have any other ideas for cool skins.

2019-09-11 17_21_31-Window.png

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Wish I had your talents for printable skins. It fits the design.

By the way, I am gaining on flying inverted and doing figure 8's up high, so when I am comfortable, hope too bring it down.
Best thing I like about your design is that with the high dihedral and height, it recovers quickly to a normal flight and saves you from crashing. Especially in the gusty wind.

JGplanes

Power pod is coming along. After printing 3 prototypes, I've finally ended up with one that is correctly sized, strong enough, and only weighs 61g. I printed the first version with thin walls, and it still ended up weighing 54g. The last one with two perimeters was only 7g more with the battery cover, and it's much smoother and more rigid. I plan on trying a larger motor in this one, so it should compensate for the weight and CG. We'll see. I may not have time to finish it this week, and I'm booked next week, but I thought I'd give you guys something to look forward to...

IMG_8303.JPG
IMG_8304.JPG

Vimana89

Legendary member
One of the first in EDF's was Hobby Lobby store (long since closed) and they had 5 bladed 64 mmEDF's that actually had thrust with 1300 lipo and made the models move out. Long story short, few were bought by others and ended up purchasing 12 unit fans, 6 replacement blade units and 5 motors for $150. Now 64's use 4s 2100 lipo which are heavier.

Here is my 64 mm trainer design and doing vertical takeoffs( a twig is holding it up) and doing 2 touch and go's on a short landing strip. A 5 blader!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen that one yet, if you have posted it in other threads. As soon as I saw the full profile standing up vertical, I took to it. I love the way this looks and flies, with that high wing sweep and twin boom tail, it is like a very unique cold war jet, kind of like a better version of something like the Sea Vixen. Once I move into ducted fans, I may have to build this before or alongside some of my own designs. That's a sweet bird for sure(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Power pod is coming along. After printing 3 prototypes, I've finally ended up with one that is correctly sized, strong enough, and only weighs 61g. I printed the first version with thin walls, and it still ended up weighing 54g. The last one with two perimeters was only 7g more with the battery cover, and it's much smoother and more rigid. I plan on trying a larger motor in this one, so it should compensate for the weight and CG. We'll see. I may not have time to finish it this week, and I'm booked next week, but I thought I'd give you guys something to look forward to...

View attachment 142626 View attachment 142627
Some next level stuff. Worth it at this point, your design is very refined and flies great.